Anybody thinking of getting a dog from one of these places beware,acouple of weeks since bloke i work with his mrs went and paid hundred pound for a stray lurcher bitch.the dog had been in kennels ten days when she bought it on the sunday.monday the dog didnt seem right and she put it down to its new suroundings.tuesday the dog was worse so she took it to the vets, vet gave it a jab ant sent it home.wednesday worse still back to the vets on a drip wednesday and thursday,they put the dog down friday it had parvo,and to make things worse the dog they already had came down with kennel cough and is now looking at a vets bill of about a grand the bloke and his mrs not the other dog

Guest jt750

They shouldn't have *adopted* the dog yet ....there is a cooling off period usually of about 2 weeks to see if the dog is suitable and settles well ..to be fair the charity should really pay toward the costs

They shouldn't have *adopted* the dog yet ....there is a cooling off period usually of about 2 weeks to see if the dog is suitable and settles well ..to be fair the charity should really pay toward the costs

It didnt have time to settle in,but the thing is how many more dogs did it infect in the kennels if thats how it picked it up which seems most likely as the place they live is remote

Guest jt750

Nothing much anyone can do about an outbreak of parvo ..so long as they reported it back to the dogs home so they can close down and sort it out

Also the dog might have been carrying it when it went into kennels and the vaccinations take time to work ..anything could have happened ..rescue centres are just that ..they don't get it right 100% of the time

Edited by jt750

Yes they reported it but they are saying they cant prove it was like it when they sold it to them hes asked me to name the kennels to warn other people but the post would probabley get pulled it was only posted as a warning

I can't believe a rehoming centre would take that attitude ...ones i've dealt with are genuine about their dogs that go to be rehomed

I'm with jt750 on this. One's i've dealt with have always been 100% and dogs fit, vaccinated, chipped and normally spayed/castrated before being rehomed (after a home check).

Did the dog come as above and was there a homecheck?

some poor rescues out there, they are interested in lining there own pockets more than anything.. i notice you are in Yorkshire area you Doncaster way by any chance, I have a contact up that way who used to have boarding kennels, couldn't be bothered with constant checks so left it, but the other homes/rescues near him are awful and are constantly having parvo out breaks.

Yes the best rescue centres will vaccinate, chip and usually neuter all dogs before they are re-homed. They also keep them about a fortnight to ensure they are not incubating anything like parvo. Some can be funny about homing if they are going to be worked, or kept in outdoor kennels.

Guest jt750

I'll be honest about this thread after sleeping on it ...i think its someone just stirring the shit .... place has never been named ...rescue centres will get outbreaks of parvo they are just the ideal conditions for it to thrive.

Blue vixen agreed

skellyb ..i think you'll find you don't buy a dog you adopt one with the provisio that it can go back to them at anytime ...

rickyspringer please name these centres that are only in it to line their own pockets ...and if you can't do the decent thing and report them to the appropriate authorities as they will be violating their charity statuss

skellyb ..i think you'll find you don't buy a dog you adopt one with the provisio that it can go back to them at anytime ...

From a "proper" rescue/rehoming centre, yes (depending on the wording in the contract), but I have a feeling that this dog maybe didn't come from a "proper" centre.

All my experience of rescue centers have found the dogs to be very well cared for, they rarely run at a profit and therefore would only do such a thankless job with the love of the dogs driving them. Of course there will be some centers which don't meet standardS expected, but i should imagine if Parvo was present in a kennel, anyone looking round would have seen either a poor standard of cleanliness or sub standard dogs. :no:

At the very least if an unexpected outbreak occurred in a single dog, then i would be very shocked to hear they kennel were un helpful in their response to the new owner? :hmm:

Most kennels will run a fortnight "quarantine" period for newly admitted dogs, to ensure disease and infection is kept to a minimum. :thumbs:

My only negativity with a lot of rescue centers is their sometimes blinkered view and refusal to bend on company policies regarding rehoming. I am unable to re home a dog due to only having a very small courtyard garden . . . . . the fact my dogs have access to 400 acres of open farm land right outside the front gate is completely overlooked. But i guess they need rules and guides to adhere to. :yes:

some poor rescues out there, they are interested in lining there own pockets more than anything.. i notice you are in Yorkshire area you Doncaster way by any chance, I have a contact up that way who used to have boarding kennels, couldn't be bothered with constant checks so left it, but the other homes/rescues near him are awful and are constantly having parvo out breaks.

yes your spot on mate.and jt750 why would i be shit stirring yorkshires a big county and i find it strange rickyspringer picked out the area the dog was bought from