I carry electrolytes mix in a little tomato juice it helps against the build up of lactic acid I also mix tomato juice in their food every day it was a greyhound trainer that told me many years ago after a dog went leggy after a hard run that it helped with the effects of lactic acid build up.Dont know if he was right or not but have not had a prob since I also add a large spoon of honey which he said helped but I,m not sure if electrolytes were around then so he proberbly ment as electrolyte substitute I also add honey with every feed

tomatto juice is good for flushing the kidneys :thumbs:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's too late for my lad this time.

Just off the phone to the vet, probable renal failure, brain is swollen still, lost most of his sight and hearing.

Next 24 hours are critical.

I know what I should do, but just can't.

sorry pal !

I think it's too late for my lad this time.

Just off the phone to the vet, probable renal failure, brain is swollen still, lost most of his sight and hearing.

Next 24 hours are critical.

I know what I should do, but just can't.

You obviously know what you should do, I know it's hard (been there myself) but you gotta do right by the dog

I'm sorry to hear that Aaron, it's the hardest decision to make either way mate.

All the best

Luke.

Edited to add, did you find he was hot to the touch after his runs? as Roo's skin get's really hot to the touch after a run. I've had him collapse from shock before and also almost go in the field.

Maybe this mainly happens to Bullcrosses as they don't know when to quit and will push themselves past the point when most sensible dogs would quit?

Edited by bullmastiff

A tin of custard works well for the car kit. You can throw it in the car and forget about it until it's needed. It contains sugars, carbs and proteins and is a great 'pick me up' for a dog. Much better than chocolate that will melt, get squashed etc. and is mainly just sugars only giving the dog a quick sugar rush and a poorly liver.

I usually just make up a bottle of sugared water for my rucksack and just squirt it in his mouth to drink.

I'm sorry to hear that Aaron, it's the hardest decision to make either way mate.

All the best

Luke.

Edited to add, did you find he was hot to the touch after his runs? as Roo's skin get's really hot to the touch after a run. I've had him collapse from shock before and also almost go in the field.

Maybe this mainly happens to Bullcrosses as they don't know when to quit and will push themselves past the point when most sensible dogs would quit?

i had to carry a bull cross 3 mile because of this.

i had a similar situation, the vet diagnosed a form of meningitis which proved fatal.

the dog was dead within 24 hours of collapsing, he was previously presenting as fit and healthy with no indications of illness being seen.

i hope you have more luck.

Glucose helps with the uptake of electrolytes into the dogs system, you can either use a powder glucose to add in the drink alongside electrolytes or you can buy some set honey and give the dog a lump of it after a hard run or periodically throughout the session.

I prefer to use the honey with my racers. A good bit of kit to have is a 20ml syringe, just for those occasions where the dog refuses to take a drink.

Also be careful with your electrolytes only buy ones for a DOG not for HORSES or HUMANS as the electrolyte requirement is different for each species and the balance is different in each formula.