Any tips greatly appreciated

I've recently got myself a 7wk old bed x whipp, iv never trained a pup from scratch before so any tips would be great. only had the dog 5 days so really just starting, he is a typical lurcher tho... bone idle! plus any books you could recomend i read?

1st thing i do with a pup of that age is try to get it to retrieve a tenis ball or a simular sized ball :thumbs:

yeah, he'll chase anything u play with bt got no intrest in bringing it back... recall is still only when he feels like it.

First point of call is a recall, always give praise or a treat while he is young for coming back to you. When you start retrieving always swop him the tennis ball with a treat (i know this sounds silly but my partner has a degree in canine behaviour and training) and trust me it works, it teaches the dog that you are not going to take what ever he has fetched just swop it for something that he can keep. If you want any more info you are better asking my partner runningdogloopy.

Im in the same boat mate. I have a 13wk old lurcher. Got him from 7wks and have never trained a pup. I read "the complete lurcher" by Brian Plummer at the start and thats realy what I've been following. Its got good tips and advice for training a companion or hunting lurcher and also gives the techniques for various ways of hunting. You'll be suprised how quickly they pick it up, mines retrieving toys to hand already, well most of the time :)

Im in the same boat mate. I have a 13wk old lurcher. Got him from 7wks and have never trained a pup. I read "the complete lurcher" by Brian Plummer at the start and thats realy what I've been following. Its got good tips and advice for training a companion or hunting lurcher and also gives the techniques for various ways of hunting. You'll be suprised how quickly they pick it up, mines retrieving toys to hand already, well most of the time :)

ive got that book and understanding the working lurcher by jackie drakeford ordered at library, plummers will be up to 6 wks in coming tho. did you just work on recall before you tried retrieving? what cross is yours??

ive got that book and understanding the working lurcher by jackie drakeford ordered at library, plummers will be up to 6 wks in coming tho. did you just work on recall before you tried retrieving? what cross is yours??

He's a bullxgreyound-sire x salukixwhippet-dam.

Done sum recall training but nothing too intense. Dont want him to get disheartend with it as he just wants to do what he likes at the mo. He's mad keen on chasing things so been trying to get him to retrieve alot. Hes doin pretty good but jus wants to shake everything to death lol must be the bull x

was umin and arin between that book by Jackie Drakeford and the one i got. If its any good let me know. I read in the reviews about it that it recommended the rmb diet. I looked into it and have him on that now cos he didnt seem to like the dried food much anyway.

Do you hunt at the mo?

Best time to train a young pup to recall is food time!

Make up their food then give them your 'recall' whistle/word whilst putting down the food bowl. Give them the food straight away and a bit of a fuss. After a week (probably less!)of this four times a day you should be able to whistle and they'll come running to you! (at this young age only do it when there's food for them)

Once their coming to the whistle for food, make them wait a few seconds before putting the bowl down (and don't let them jump up). Quite often the pup will sit down naturally because it has to look straight up at the bowl in your hand. If it does, say 'sit' putting the food down and giving lots of praise, if not, wait a few more seconds and put the food down, again praising the recall.

Just doing this I had a litter of 8 week old pups recalling to a whistle and then sitting on command!

At such a young age it's not really training as such, as theirs no real disapline involved, it's more like conditioning.

From their I used to make them sit then put the food down but keep my hands in the way saying "Leave" as soon as they pull back from the bowl I'd let them at it, again extending the time between the command and them getting their dinner.

I think Tess was about 10 weeks in this video, she sit's for her dinner then leaves until told to go.

th_Tessdinnertime-1.jpg

If they do ok at this then you've just installed the foundation for recall, sit, wait and leave!

I found it an easy way of training them and as it's done only at meal times, they get it in the best way possible, little and often with the biggest of treats for doing what their told!

All the best with your pups.

He's a bullxgreyound-sire x salukixwhippet-dam.

Done sum recall training but nothing too intense. Dont want him to get disheartend with it as he just wants to do what he likes at the mo. He's mad keen on chasing things so been trying to get him to retrieve alot. Hes doin pretty good but jus wants to shake everything to death lol must be the bull x

was umin and arin between that book by Jackie Drakeford and the one i got. If its any good let me know. I read in the reviews about it that it recommended the rmb diet. I looked into it and have him on that now cos he didnt seem to like the dried food much anyway.

Do you hunt at the mo?

i do a bit, not as much as i would like tho, mainly ferreting or shooting with airguns, i had a pup about 18 mnth ago but had to hav him put down at 4 mnth old due to a badly broken front wrist so not much with dogs of my own recently. i should get that book early this week and i will let you know what it is like, think i may by plummers book for myself as its cheap in wh smith. my pup is coming on every day, but its always on his terms, 'just wants to shake everything to death' sounds very familiar tho, he'l chase anything but retrieves very little however the tip i got to always swap the dogs toy for a treat does seem to be working if not very slowly haha

I've recently got myself a 7wk old bed x whipp, iv never trained a pup from scratch before so any tips would be great. only had the dog 5 days so really just starting, he is a typical lurcher tho... bone idle! plus any books you could recomend i read?

First thing is don't be scared of it, its only a f*****g dog pup, you cant ruin it. Some folk take training a dog as some great secret that only a chosen few know. Spend as much time with the dog as you can. At that age, bonding is more important than any training and the most important training at this stage, is house training. Enjoy it mate and you have loads of time to teach it different things like jumping, fetching etc.

Best time to train a young pup to recall is food time!

Make up their food then give them your 'recall' whistle/word whilst putting down the food bowl. Give them the food straight away and a bit of a fuss. After a week (probably less!)of this four times a day you should be able to whistle and they'll come running to you! (at this young age only do it when there's food for them)

Once their coming to the whistle for food, make them wait a few seconds before putting the bowl down (and don't let them jump up). Quite often the pup will sit down naturally because it has to look straight up at the bowl in your hand. If it does, say 'sit' putting the food down and giving lots of praise, if not, wait a few more seconds and put the food down, again praising the recall.

Just doing this I had a litter of 8 week old pups recalling to a whistle and then sitting on command!

At such a young age it's not really training as such, as theirs no real disapline involved, it's more like conditioning.

From their I used to make them sit then put the food down but keep my hands in the way saying "Leave" as soon as they pull back from the bowl I'd let them at it, again extending the time between the command and them getting their dinner.

I think Tess was about 10 weeks in this video, she sit's for her dinner then leaves until told to go.

th_Tessdinnertime-1.jpg

If they do ok at this then you've just installed the foundation for recall, sit, wait and leave!

I found it an easy way of training them and as it's done only at meal times, they get it in the best way possible, little and often with the biggest of treats for doing what their told!

All the best with your pups.

Sounds like good advice. Will try that out myself. Although when you say four times a day is that how often you should feed? I have mine on an rmb diet and I read somewhere you should feed once a day so they gorge and then spend a while resting like they would in the wild. do you feed pups more regularly than adult dogs? Or is what I read a load of b***s. Any advice much appreciated