.17 HMR for fox????

hi, only a short one here for all the folk who's force area dont allow .17 HMR for fox. i am aware that my force wouldnt allow it for fox, but i have heard stories when people have argued their case after a while of owning one [or another caliber].

one of my permissions, not a lot of land but passed up to .243 anyway, farmer has started to see more foxes. i only have my .22lr or .17hmr, would i be able to convince the firearms dept here that as long as i am responsible, short range etc having gone out after rabbits but come across a fox could they allow my .17HMR as an exception.

i have heard it done where the ground was only passed to .22lr but someone was able to convince the firearms team that a more powerful round would pose more danger etc, or if that is the normal weapon you are out with and the farmer really wants rid due to stock loss etc...

just wondering if anyone has heard, some forces ok the caliber for fox but they are few and far between!!

ATB

Yes 17hmr is RUBBISH for fox, I had one for 2 years and although I only shot 2 foxes with it, had to shoot both of them at least twice, (I have two centrefires so never set out to shoot a fox with the 17)

That said who's watching when you are out and about? Also neither fox made it to fight another day.

I've also shot loads of foxes with a .22 rimfire, to be honest at close range (less than 75 yards) the .22 performed better than the 17.

Anyway a centrefire .22 is the lowest rung for foxes in my opinion, and it seems in most police authority areas as well.

AndyF

My 17hmr put a hole in my 1.5mm thick hardened steel spinner! melted right through!

i cant see charlie liking it very much!

even tho west mids did a 180 on shooting them with it.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting thread - i applied for .223 to shoot foxes , my permissions were fine with plenty of ideal land. My local force denied me a 223 and recomended a .22 - i reminded them that i needed a large round for shooting foxes. They rang me back and offered me a choice of .22 or .17hmr [as this was my first licence] i took a hmr thinking that this police force are insane ! shot loads of rabbits with it and got really accurate , found that it is good for fox at about 100yds have dropped dead every one i shot at. still agree that .17hmr is not an ideal fox round but does work with a degree of care. However , North Wales Police think that it will do the job.!

I have it listed on my cert as "vermin & fox" for my HMR.... but if you wanted a calibre to purely shoot foxes, .17 HMR is the wrong choice- .223, .222, .22-250, (you get the idea)is really where you should be looking

I have shot two foxes with the HMR- both quite yound and so fairly small- one between the eyes at about 40-50m and one in the chest at about 30-40m, both dropped like the proverbial sack of poop.... I think it'd be fine for foxes out to say 80yd, but only on a still night so there is no chance of the bullet not going anywhere except for the brain, then it'd work, anything else at that range is a no no....

Edited by danebrewer10

Interesting thread - i applied for .223 to shoot foxes , my permissions were fine with plenty of ideal land. My local force denied me a 223 and recomended a .22 - i reminded them that i needed a large round for shooting foxes. They rang me back and offered me a choice of .22 or .17hmr [as this was my first licence] i took a hmr thinking that this police force are insane ! shot loads of rabbits with it and got really accurate , found that it is good for fox at about 100yds have dropped dead every one i shot at. still agree that .17hmr is not an ideal fox round but does work with a degree of care. However , North Wales Police think that it will do the job.!

Take this up with BASC. You are entitled by law to a sensible firearm for the job. For fox shooting, the HO guidelines recommend a centrefire. You have proven good reason and have sufficient land - since each case must, by law, be judged on its own merit, you should be granted a centrefire.

Take this up with BASC. You are entitled by law to a sensible firearm for the job. For fox shooting, the HO guidelines recommend a centrefire. You have proven good reason and have sufficient land - since each case must, by law, be judged on its own merit, you should be granted a centrefire.

Yep, I would tend to agree, but be careful how you put your case, if you tell them you keep knocking down the foxes easy with the HMR.....at about 100yds have dropped dead every one i shot ...... then you may have a problem justifying anything bigger! :hmm::hmm:

Interesting thread again. Its amazing just how much time and posts the ".17HMR for Fox" argument takes up :laugh:

My home force, South Wales Police have agreed that a Fox is classed as vermin in their eyes. However, not one for being satisfied with word of mouth, I have "Fox and Small ground game" on my FAC for the HMR.

I have the .222 which is what i'd choose any day to shoot Foxes with, but I have taken the HMR for other vermin and come across many Foxes and dropped every one without a problem. Again, it was under sensible circumstances, none over 80 yards and with little or no wind to speak of. I've also let quite a few walk on ;)

I haven't picked up my HMR since October and the beginning of the Game season, so I think its time to get out there with it again.

Mr Logic, you've intrigued me about this Hornet malarky though :hmm:

SS :thumbs: