hi all,

hope this is in the right section !?

i have an 15 month old lurcher (saluki x GH X whipet x GH) i take him out everyday for ball work, and work him 2/3 times a week ...But his front paws seem a little flat footed any ideas how to remedy this ?

Cheers paul

Cheers watchman...have heard the same but also been told to trot him on the road...or to get him trotting behind a push bike ....on a hard surface...just not sure for how long or how far...if that makes sense :cry::icon_eek: :icon_eek:

I run Roo next too the bike most nights. I use one of those extendable leads just in case he stops for a pee and drags me off the bike! I get him up to a fast trot for a 1/2 mile then a slow run and ride until he try's to slow the pace down and drops back behind the bike. I then turn for home riding at whatever pace he seems comfortable at (usually just a trot). I didn't have anyone to ask at the time so this is just what I found that works for me (and more importantly Roo!).

Don't worry about the distance, every dogs differant and whilst some will run for 20-25 miles other's would drop dead after 5! There's no need to rush your dog's fitness, you've got all year!

Interestingly though, although his general fitness got better from it I haven't actually noticed any change to his feet? maybe slightly harder pads but that's about it.

All the Best.

Luke.

Edited by bullmastiff

If he's out an well excercised, then, I suppose, thats just the way his feet are made, doesen't mean he is flat footed!

Different dogs have differing types of feet, some Saluki types have 'splayed' feet type, as opposed to a greyhounds tight 'cat like' feet. Flat foot is when feet have spent too long in a kennel.... Without excercise!

I suggest, you'll be much more 'informed' when you start running the dog on quarry and SEE how those 'flat feet' perform. 'Hansom is, how hansom does' ! ;)

Edited by Bosun11
Guest AngelicAcid

Agree there Bosun, Only had one flat footed dog(front right paw, never ever stopped him, and very good at turning him.

try lead walking on gravel, or dis used train lines, beach, or shallow river bed.

Thanks for all the positive responses....to be fair it not something that i had noticed, somebody pointed it out to me...then last saturday i went to thorsby game fair and had a look at the lurcher show ,saw what he ment...his back feet are almost cat like but his front paws are a little splayed....i have kept bull terriors most of my life and not really looked at feet...he is my first lurcher and i think he is fantastic...but again i am biased he is my dog... :D :D

thanks again Paul