too small????

Thanks for the advice on exercise lads. I've been giving him about 30 mins pavement walking to toughen up his pads in the morning then a good run every night in the fields at work for the last week or so and he's eating as much food as he wants (which is a lot, greedy sod heh). Will see how he goes with this routine for the next few months.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

loadsof time for him to grow yet mate,3 maybee 4" more dont be to botherd about size, well thats what my missus says to me.

let hin out in the field and theyl run around and excersise as much as theyre able for

Posted Images

Good post Mr Jones and an interesting thread. My Whippet's just over 4 months and is 18" TTS, he's grown an inch since last month but I hadn't bothered measuring him before that.

Does anyone know how if exercise affects a dog's growth much? I keep getting told different things like he shouldn't run too far as it'll stunt his growth and other people say the opposite, that he needs a good run to keep his bones strong and healthy.

would like to see a pic of your pup thumbs.gif what height were the parents???....not sure about exercise hopefully somebody on here will know...

Too much running will make the muscles too big which stops the bones from developing properly stunting the dog's growth :thumbs:

when i was growing up i ran for wales 6/7 times and did the first ever cardiff marathan at 11 years of age and my bones developed ok whats the difference with a dog?

The dogs this happened to were a litter of fox hounds, they were being fed on raw meaty bones and were being exercised with the adult hounds at only a few months old, when they were going back into the kennels one day after a run my mate noticed their legs were startin to bow, vet came out told them to cut down on exercise and had to give them some formula to give the bones a chance to catch up. Dogs are ok now.

Guest digthemdeeper

well lad... i hope he is getting bigger since i last saw him.... :thumbs: ...a fella that i hunt with has a collie whippet only 18 inches....my oppion the smaller the lurcher the better for rabbits...... :thumbs: ..

Best advice i can give ya on exercise n feedin on pups is, give them enough protein and free running and u wont go far wrong.. Free running i mean bring them out let them off the leash (in a field of course) n they'l do their own thing, maybe do a 10-15 mins retrievin a ball.. Im sure ur not doin much wrong by the pup.. Best of luck with him, he's a fine dog!

.... Pa

My ACD/Grey/Whip is only 20-21 inch, but built like a brick out house, she mooches, bushes and ferrets good enough for me, size no problem, its heart, strength and effort for rabbiting and a little bit of speed. See my photos on ACD post. Good Luck. WR.

Good post Mr Jones and an interesting thread. My Whippet's just over 4 months and is 18" TTS, he's grown an inch since last month but I hadn't bothered measuring him before that.

Does anyone know how if exercise affects a dog's growth much? I keep getting told different things like he shouldn't run too far as it'll stunt his growth and other people say the opposite, that he needs a good run to keep his bones strong and healthy.

would like to see a pic of your pup thumbs.gif what height were the parents???....not sure about exercise hopefully somebody on here will know...

Too much running will make the muscles too big which stops the bones from developing properly stunting the dog's growth :thumbs:

when i was growing up i ran for wales 6/7 times and did the first ever cardiff marathan at 11 years of age and my bones developed ok whats the difference with a dog?

The normal lower age limit for a marathon is 18 mate ,for good reason.

it may well be but it didnt do me any harm ,as at the time i was a member of cardiff aac and went to support the 1st ever cardiff marthan but run with no number just in case you are doubting me my freind,it helped me in later life with my career in paras and other things i did and im doing now.so whys the good reason for it being 18.

it may well be but it didnt do me any harm ,as at the time i was a member of cardiff aac and went to support the 1st ever cardiff marthan but run with no number just in case you are doubting me my freind,it helped me in later life with my career in paras and other things i did and im doing now.so whys the good reason for it being 18.

Didn,t say I doubted you, I've run many marathons, and longer distances,I know lots run unofficially. The good reason being that it is widely accepted by sports scientists, that such distances are harmfull to growing bodies.

it didnt do me any harm

Didn,t say I doubted you, I've run many marathons, and longer distances,I know lots run unofficially. The good reason being that it is widely accepted by sports scientists, that such distances are harmfull to growing bodies.

didnt do me any harm,ive done loads of diff things that sports scientists say will do you no good or shouldnt do it like that and im still here and been at very top of my game,

i have a first cross jack russel terrier x whippet and he has no problems with rabbits, hes about 21inches tts but stocky than your one, he's absolutely brilliant at ferreting.

As far as excercise goes, dont overdo it, the people on here talking about running marathons at 11 dont have a clue, its more like taking a 4 year old on a marathon, and yes it would damage the bones, just take things easy it would bugger up you dog by not waiting a little bit and then you have many years of good running and no vet trips!