Big Burry

Went to a new permision on Saturday looks like a great place. There is one bank that is a huge burry some of it overgrown with braken and brambles although the farmer has done a pretty good job of cutting it back. As my son and I aproached it we shifted 4 bunnies back home and were rubbing our hands looking forward to the action to come. But after setting the long net and about 20 purse nets I entered 2 jills then nothing much, missed one that bolted out the unnetted side, one jill layed up for a while at 8+ feet (possible kill) and I spent my whole time worrying if I was going to lose a ferret so nothing in the end.

We then decided (with what time we had left after wasting an hour on the big one) to only do burries with a distinct boundary/number of holes with success 2 burries 4 bunnies.

What is the best tactic, flood it with all 4 of my jills, did I make too much noise as it was just me and the nipper we could not be very quick (perhaps do it with guns.)I think another person there would be good as the two of us could not see everything that was going on.

Any advice greatfully recieved.

Cheers George

This time of year mate on the big ones your asking for trouble with plenty of young about or does in young wont bolt too well

Very true .A nest of kits can hold up proceedings. The does at this time of year get quite protective about their little breeding territories and quite often the best buries come to be held by a dominent pair that won't tolerate too many other rabbits sharing their burrows .All in all it can be sticky going ferreting in the spring.

How big are you talking about ??? one banking we do we run three longnets along the top and use 300 pursenets and weve had up to 18 ferrets in at one time

F@*K me! Lol!! That must be a hell of a bury!

Aye 600 yards long do half and swap the nets round on a good day 50+ rabbits

there is a waren that me and a few mates do and there must be at the very least 1000 holes along the full edge of 2 fealds so we dont bother with nets we just have a cupple of lurchers at each side and put all our ferrets in it takes most of the day to work but its a good day.

I'd have a go at stinking them out of buries like that in the hope they'd move somewhere easier.

Why it shows the landowner your keen and can handle any situation as said before its to late now to hit a big burrow like this but id pick a frosty morning and get a early start and get on with it

Hi some of the ones we do have 100 plus holes, its a daunting task but we tend to run the ferrets through netting in roll over fashion, we then get a few bolt at the end. We use at least 4 ferrets and just hope they dont kill in, its a risk you take. Spades at the ready and all that, I dont mind the odd dig its part and parcel of the game but 8 foot digs are a bit of a mare, we had a ferret go out of range on a 15 foot box last week for a good hour.

Another thing is make sure you get a good marking dog its pointless spending all that time netting for ziltch.

I'd have a go at stinking them out of buries like that in the hope they'd move somewhere easier.

Why it shows the landowner your keen and can handle any situation as said before its to late now to hit a big burrow like this but id pick a frosty morning and get a early start and get on with it

It also has the potential to show you up if the landowners around and you start getting 8ft digs or not having enough ferrets to work it properly and they just get the run around all day. Personally I prefer doing the smaller ones, the big ones we do are on ditch banks where they can be cut up with the stop nets catching the runners that try and hole hop.

Thanks for help guys, I won't have a go at it again till next season. Have got a good bedi/whippet cross to help. shall hit it a bit mob handed with a mate next time and I'll make sure the farmer cuts some of the brambles back so I can devide it more easily. It still aint a 300+ holler! probably more in the 60-80 department .

thanks again shall let you know how I get on later in the year