painting fenns

Leave them alone, a well weathered trap will be less visible than any painted trap plus it will fire easily :thumbs: They will stand out like a sore thumb if painted, no matter what colour you use. The best is to allow them to rust slightly and metal will dull over time. hang them outside and it will happen in no time.

whats the best thing for painting fenns? want something to make them less visible but not intefere with the firing of the trap. is it a bit of classic vauxhall leaf green or something else.

thanks

Rob

:hmm: IF you must dye your traps,.maybe try boiling up some Walnut Husks or Oak bark ,.and let them simmer in it for a while.. :yes:

fennrabbittrapPICT0030.jpg

Before I imported the Trap Dye from the USA,.. I always treated my Fenns, Imbras and Juby's with the oak bark ,.and they turned nice and dark... :yes:

BUT,..with any dye treatment,.it is best if the iron or steel has taken on a bit of surface rust... :thumbs:

All the best,.CHALKWARREN :drink:

Speed Dipping,....the traps will turn a nice mahogany brown hue,..BUT,.make the mix nice and thin,.or your traps will stay a tad sticky,.for quite some time :doh:

File0374.jpg

I just use spray paint on my fenns,not really to make them invisable because they are set in the entrance of a hole,to stop them rusting in damp conditions.As for painted ones not fire easily i have never noticed any differance between a painted one and a rusty one.

This rabbit was caught fair and square around the head area,so it looks to me it fired pretty well.

001-15.jpg

Plus they look nicer hanging up in my shed instead of the rusty looking one's :whistling::laugh:

the only worry i had about them not firing as fast was based on the difference in how hard they were to set (a new shiny one Vs a rusted one) if it has no affect on kill or power i will leave well alone.

i have set a couple (well rusted :thumbs: )tonight to see if i can get some ferret food, i had to go through a fair few holes to get ones big enough to set them. the burrow entrances round here are often quite small. does anyone else come across this?

another thing, i was just wondering what you guys use as pegs and how you attach them to the trap, if you extend the chain or not. i have used a couple a 10mm mild steel pegs i made up on the forge, a small eye turned at one end and a sqaure point drawn down on the other about 9" long attached to the traps chain with a quick link made to the G.W pattern.

i would be great if someone got an article pinned on taking rabbits with fenns, we have all the tunnel trapping rats and such but novices like moi are at somewhat of a loss when it comes to the mk6 and bunnies.

thanks so far guys

Rob

Leave them alone, a well weathered trap will be less visible than any painted trap plus it will fire easily :thumbs: They will stand out like a sore thumb if painted, no matter what colour you use. The best is to allow them to rust slightly and metal will dull over time. hang them outside and it will happen in no time.

WHAT A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS :doh:

IF YOU LEAVE A TRAP TO RUST BADLY OVER TIME IT WILL AFFECT ITS FIREING ABILITY RESULTING IN MISSED OR EVEN WORSE BAD CATCHES TOO FAR BACK .....

RUST ALSO AFFECTS THE SPRINGS ON CERTAIN TRAPS CAUSING THEM TO WEAKEN OVER TIME .......

YEP TRAP DYE IS BELOVED BY THE YANKS AND VERY EFFECTIVE TOO .........

PERSONALLY ? ....... WELL I TEND TO USE MATT BLACK ON WATER SETS AND MATT VAUXHALL GREEN ON LAND .......... JUST THIS SEASON IVE SEEN MANY PEOPLE WALK STRAIGHT PAST TRAPS AND SNARES THAT HAVE BEEN TREATED IN THIS WAY ..... SO I CANNOT SEE WHERE THEY STAND OUT LIKE A SORE THUMB ????????

AT THE MOMENT ALL TRAPS HAVE BEEN PULLED AND GIVEN TO A MATE WHO WILL SANDBLAST THEM FOR ME BEFORE THEY ARE RETURNED FOR SPRAYING .......

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

Speed Dip will dye the traps and help them work faster.

Pegs are available, I would contact JohnB if I were you ;)

do you use petrol or parafin in the speed dip, and how much do you use?

i used the amount of petrol it says on the box, and i`m thinking it got a bit too thin?

Speed Dip will dye the traps and help them work faster.

Pegs are available, I would contact JohnB if I were you ;)

do you use petrol or parafin in the speed dip, and how much do you use?

i used the amount of petrol it says on the box, and i`m thinking it got a bit too thin?

Most of the yanks use Coleman fluid, which is supposed to be the mutts nuts.

I use petrol, following the instructions on the can. You often need to do more than one 'coat' to get them really dark.

As Chalky says, boiling in oak bark is also very good.

yep but they stand out like a sore thumb in the field :yes: not so good with so many nosey people about these days 8)

if used in warrens, ie buried in the entrance hole, how would anyone see them, painted or not, and if you mean after its caught, anyone would see them anyway with a rabbit attached,

I've left fenns rusty, painted, dipped in formula one... Makes no difference whatsoever... I've left bodygrips rusty and dipped, I prefer them dipped, but only through personal choice, it wouldn't stop them working or killing at all to be left, bodygrips soon dull down when you remove the grease and leave them out...

i have set a couple (well rusted :thumbs: )tonight to see if i can get some ferret food, i had to go through a fair few holes to get ones big enough to set them. the burrow entrances round here are often quite small. does anyone else come across this?

That is the art of trapping, adapt what you have to work with in your favour.

If your trap does not fit, then make it fit. Provided you can excavate enough of the tunnel to fit your trap without causing it to collapse, then your onto a winner.

Never needed to extend the chains although in some instances a longer chain would have been handy, ie the ground around the hole is too rocky/sandy, but there is always a way.

The thing with painting your traps with the ultimate cammo to disguise them has no real relevance in most instances, if people are not looking for them, they are unaware that your traps are there and will happily mosey on by.

No ammount of super cammo will disguise the trap when there is a rabbit in its jaws and its outside the hole or sprawled down the banking.

Happen treat your traps to preserve them in the long run:thumbs: