First outing on Pigeons

Mr Farmer phoned me the other day asking to lay off the rabbits for a while to let the mixie take hold. Anyway to make up for it he's given me a shed load of pigeon shooting. My only experience of this is rough shooting and popping them as I wander about so need a bit of advice on hide technque. I'll be using my Hatsan semi. So here we go with my bone questions...

1. Best choke?

2. Seat in the hide?

3. Hide built around me or over the top too?

4. U/V shaped pattern with the wind behind me so they fly at me when landing?

5. How long is too long before giving up and moving fields?

6. Distance of dekes from the hide?

7. 6 dekes enough until I can use shot pigeons to add to the pattern?

8. What do you guys do with what you have shot?

9. Surely you can't eat all of a good days bag?

10. 30g 6's good enough for the job?

I've read the tips thread but any other advice greatly received :thumbs:

i use 1/4 and 1/2 choke

cut the end off a 10 gallon plastic drum,fit into your kit bag,still room for your gear,and ready made seat

never have the hide over the top of me,like to have all round vision where possible,i only use a hide net and couple poles,elastic bungees handy bit kit to carry for stretching it out along the hedgerow

patterns can be varied,what doent work one day, may well the next,try shape like a half horse-shoe,sometimes works very well,make sure they got somewhere to drop in at the back of your pattern

to long for me is no shot for a couple hours

deeks are usually put out from 30/45 yards(rotary should be at the front and off to one side)

i use 12 deeks,rotary and flappers but 6 is enough to get you going,can then add shot birds to the pattern

i eat a few myself the rest go to the ferrets

i often use 30g 6s

this is only what i do,roughly,could prob cut my kit by half and still have the same results,at the end of the day field-craft is the key to a successful outing,if your on them your on them,good luck mate :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

I suppose the hide will depend on the fields you have to shoot, do they have evergreen bushes, or bushes with no leaves, if its the later, and you have enough netting/poles, Id go for a cube hide with roof

post-5267-126834103781_thumb.jpg

definatly have a seat

we normally set the deeks around 30 -35 yds away, and waiting time, well that depends on you, somedays we have sat for a couple of hours before moving, I use the choke with 4 notches on my hatsan, and find that fits the bill, as above, nothing goes to waste, if we dont eat it, it goes in the freezer for the ferts, you can also use thawed out pigeons to take on your next day out to add the decoy numbers up, cart size, anything between 28-32 gets used by me :thumbs:

Hi, use as many deeks as you have and keep adding, use angel wing on some of the shot birds and experiment with patterns. Main pattern for me is horseshoe with rotary in front about 25-35 yards from hide which is set against a hedgerow whenever possible with wind from behind. I never have a roof it limits the swing and amount of birds you can shoot. Keep absolutely still and head down until the birds are within range, only then lift the gun to shoulder and shoot. Pigeons will see the whites of your eyes, hands, and anything you dont want them to see and it will spook them unless they are having it big style. Use cammo to suit your surroundings, green DPM wont work if your sat in maize strips, like I said they will see anything unusual or different. If poss set up your hide a couple of days before and let them get used to it, but make sure you do your reccy for a couple of days to ensure they will be where you set up.

I always have a seat, a large bucket with a lid, put your rubbish in it when you have done and I dont eat many, I give a lot away and feed my hungry hoards of ferrets the rest, or sell them to game dealers through the keepers when I get lots.

As for chokes everyone has their own favourites, I like a good spread and use improved with 28g 7.5's, it works well for me.

Here is a choke guideline that may help, check your manual for your guns chokes/lines

Extra Full Choke Tube; delivers a 70% pattern at 45 Yards.

Full Choke Tube; delivers a 70% pattern at 40 yards.

Modified Choke Tube; delivers a 70% pattern at 35 yards.

Improved Cylinder Choke Tube; delivers a 70% pattern at 30 yards.

Cylinder Choke Tube; delivers a 70% pattern at 25 Yards.

One more thing is pick up when it slows, they dont like to see birds on their backs on the ground.

Hi, use as many deeks as you have and keep adding, use angel wing on some of the shot birds and experiment with patterns. Main pattern for me is horseshoe with rotary in front about 25-35 yards from hide which is set against a hedgerow whenever possible with wind from behind. I never have a roof it limits the swing and amount of birds you can shoot. Keep absolutely still and head down until the birds are within range, only then lift the gun to shoulder and shoot. Pigeons will see the whites of your eyes, hands, and anything you dont want them to see and it will spook them unless they are having it big style. Use cammo to suit your surroundings, green DPM wont work if your sat in maize strips, like I said they will see anything unusual or different. If poss set up your hide a couple of days before and let them get used to it, but make sure you do your reccy for a couple of days to ensure they will be where you set up.

I always have a seat, a large bucket with a lid, put your rubbish in it when you have done and I dont eat many, I give a lot away and feed my hungry hoards of ferrets the rest, or sell them to game dealers through the keepers when I get lots.

As for chokes everyone has their own favourites, I like a good spread and use improved with 28g 7.5's, it works well for me.

Here is a choke guideline that may help, check your manual for your guns chokes/lines

One more thing is pick up when it slows, they dont like to see birds on their backs on the ground.

so what is the spred with no chock in the gun?

so what is the spred with no chock in the gun?

try this mate :thumbs:

http://www.kwacs.org.uk/barrels&choke.htm

Edited by watchman

I am off tomorrow for a decent go at deeking i have picked up my kit and am ready to have a go!!!

any good tips on flight path's is it pot luck or is it an educated guess using layout of land (i.e do they fly more or less when near tree locations, ponds, hedges large fields, small fields?)

I am off tomorrow for a decent go at deeking i have picked up my kit and am ready to have a go!!!

any good tips on flight path's is it pot luck or is it an educated guess using layout of land (i.e do they fly more or less when near tree locations, ponds, hedges large fields, small fields?)

you need to get out the day before mate with the binoculars,set yourself up somewhere near the area your going to shoot and watch over it for a couple hours,you will soon see where they are going to and from and fields they are dropping into, :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

you need to get out the day before mate with the binoculars,set yourself up somewhere near the area your going to shoot and watch over it for a couple hours,you will soon see where they are going to and from and fields they are dropping into, :thumbs:

might have a drive up this afternoon for a look!!!

whens best early morning ? do they drop off during midday?

we used to go early morning mate but we tend to go bit later now,seem to get better sport in the afternoon,not set in stone,just what we have found thats all,not really going to get big numbers yet but another month or so can see them trickling in constantly through out the day :thumbs:

Edited by watchman

we used to go early morning mate but we tend to go bit later now,seem to get better sport in the afternoon,not set in stone,just what we have found thats all,not really going to get big numbers yet but another month or so can see them trickling in constantly through out the day :thumbs:

I think i will setup in the morning shoot till midday ish then go up the other farm to have a word with the farmer few things to sort ;-) then go back in the afternoon will leave the hide up in all day!!

I think i will setup in the morning shoot till midday ish then go up the other farm to have a word with the farmer few things to sort ;-) then go back in the afternoon will leave the hide up in all day!!

good luck mate,have a good one :thumbs:

well Sunday went well poor start through lack of experience got it sused by about 2-3hour in our first set-up was poorly placed went on a drive around the fram to check where they were dropping spotted a nice place!!! set up and were pulling them in while we were seting the hide up (this got me thinking dont put the deeks out first!!!!) learning on the job is best i have found. was refining the technique as we went and getting good!!

ended up with 12 but this was mainly through our shooting we were missing wildly early on but we got better very very quick.

thanks to you all for help and the tips work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!