hiya lads

recently my brother has gotten a lurcher from the kennels but all it seem to want to do is chase sheep, i mean we let her off the lead yesterday and she sprinted across 4 fields to get to sheep, she was trying to bring one down, and as u can imagine at this time of year with the lambs about its not good news :(. she pays no attention to my whippet or my old mans lurcher when they are all off the lead, all she wants to do is find sheep it seems?

he has had her for about 5 weeks now and he has had to rename her cos the kennels didn't know her name but she seems to be paying absolutely no attention to him when she is out, she is fine in the house but he cannot let her off the lead.

any ideas how to break her off the livestock?? she is i'd guess anywhere between 12-18 months old

any possitive advice welcome please fellas ;)

This could be the reason she was in the kennels mate? Do you know anyone who has a farm where you can walk near the sheep and correct the behaviour manually whilst on a long line? The obedience needs to be sorted before allowing her free run. use a long line, use her new name at all times during feeding, patting each time she looks at you, this all teaches them quickly.

the punishment when around sheep must be swift and timed right, as tempting as it is, giving her a hiding 20 mins after she's already run off is of no use, the correction has to be when she looks at the sheep, as her body language changes to predetory is when a harsh correction needs to be administered, this can be a check on the lead or a can with pea shingle in which can be shaken or thrown on the ground next to her. this will break her focus on the sheep.

do not over do the corrections as they will become a mere obstical to her.

that should get you started mate :thumbs:

sounds like thats the reason shes in kennels dont know if you can stop a dog that crosses four field to get to a sheep ????,and its the worst time of year to be trying to stock break a problem dog

treat her as you would a puppy,starting with basic obedience recall(without distractions,starting on a long line,then trailing line etc etc).

she is still a young dog and should be correctable with patience and time.

once the basic stuff is sorted get her rabbiting(well away from sheep) and build it up from there,always keeping a double watch on the problem.

stop the habit dead and replace it with another(desired habit) in short.

i would like to hear how you get on bud.

atb

try and find a freindly farmer that will let you walk among the sheep with the dog on a short lead and reprimand her every time it takes any notice of the sheep. try and do it every chance you get could be a long drawn out procedure but only you can decide if its worth the time and effort . its much easier to do when their a young pup but it can still be done but even when their stock broken if they havnt been since a puppy i find you always have to watch them and be on your gaurd when around sheep especially now at lambing time .

shock collars sometimes give good results

cost a fair few quid and the dog needs to wear it for a day or 2 before you turn it on... but yea, they def work most of the time... i had one dog that learnt to do it when i wasnt about but if i had have got someone to let her loose and whilst i stayed out of sight i might have got her to quit...

hiya lads

recently my brother has gotten a lurcher from the kennels but all it seem to want to do is chase sheep, i mean we let her off the lead yesterday and she sprinted across 4 fields to get to sheep, she was trying to bring one down, and as u can imagine at this time of year with the lambs about its not good news :(. she pays no attention to my whippet or my old mans lurcher when they are all off the lead, all she wants to do is find sheep it seems?

he has had her for about 5 weeks now and he has had to rename her cos the kennels didn't know her name but she seems to be paying absolutely no attention to him when she is out, she is fine in the house but he cannot let her off the lead.

any ideas how to break her off the livestock?? she is i'd guess anywhere between 12-18 months old

any possitive advice welcome please fellas ;)

I had a dog which started chasing sheep.My freind has some permission on a hill farm who have some very large rams with horns.We took the dog to the farm and with the farmer put the dog in with the ram.This has to be done with strick supervision to prevent the dog being injured.We only put the dog in once and it cured the problem.The dog never looked at sheep again.The dog was stockbroken as a pup but started to chase sheep when lamping.