'Tapping into the fountain of knowledge'

Hi all,

I have a Beddy/Whippet 50/50, and she's my first lurcher. She is now 7 1/2 months and stands at 18.5tts, she is well breed worker to worker. I have worked on recall and she has got that very well. For a good few months now she has worked hard with a ball on retrieving allthough I still think she needs work on her strike and could get better at that. Last week I started her on a 1lb rabbit skin dummy. I'm proud of her as she took to it like a duck to water and will retrieve it to hand allthough with the tooth marks in it I think she will be a little hard mouthed. I really want her as a daytime dog allthough lamping is not out of the question. She has had a run on a couple of daytime rabbit but is yet to catch.

What do you think the next stage in her training should be???

She is now totally fixed on her ball when out and ignores other dogs.... Can you do too much with a ball??

Lastly I would love to get her out to watch another dog work... I know we are getting to the end of the season but would anyone in Hertfordshire fancy letting me and my bitch tag along on a mooch??

Thanks all

Wallopthumbs.gif

I wouldn't start her off just yet pal if i was you. She's still a bit young to be doing anything in my eyes.

I'm bring a pup on at the min around the same age as yours an i know it can be tempting at times to just want to get stuck in.

But it can do more harm than good to a young pup as she wont be fully developed mentally an physically.

Just stick at the basics for the time being an she should be ready to go when the season starts in september.thumbs.gif

Hi all,

I have a Beddy/Whippet 50/50, and she's my first lurcher. She is now 7 1/2 months and stands at 18.5tts, she is well breed worker to worker. I have worked on recall and she has got that very well. For a good few months now she has worked hard with a ball on retrieving allthough I still think she needs work on her strike and could get better at that. Last week I started her on a 1lb rabbit skin dummy. I'm proud of her as she took to it like a duck to water and will retrieve it to hand allthough with the tooth marks in it I think she will be a little hard mouthed. I really want her as a daytime dog allthough lamping is not out of the question. She has had a run on a couple of daytime rabbit but is yet to catch.

What do you think the next stage in her training should be???

She is now totally fixed on her ball when out and ignores other dogs.... Can you do too much with a ball??

Lastly I would love to get her out to watch another dog work... I know we are getting to the end of the season but would anyone in Hertfordshire fancy letting me and my bitch tag along on a mooch??

Thanks all

Wallopthumbs.gif

dont over do it with a pup,take your time bones wont have set and its easy to blow a young dog,ive a bullx pup seven and a half months,woudnt let him run out yet hes been lamping to watch but is nowhere near ready to run ,still runs puppylike,take your time and good luck with your pup,plenty summer night walks and sunshine,be ready for next season
  • 3 weeks later...