BREEDING SO CALLED WORKERS

I PERSONALLY AM THE OWNER OF 7 TERRIERS AND THERE IS NOT 1 THE SAME

FOR EXAMPLE 4 OF MY DOGS I COULDNT ENTER INTO A ROCK WORKING WARE AS THE OTHER 3 I

COULD TRUST AND KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT IN THESE SITUATIONS. THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC AND GOOD

POINTS BEEN PUT ACROSS, THE DOGS I USE FOR ROCK PILES AINT THE BEST EARTH DOGS BUT DO A JOB,

WARE AS THEY ARE DYNAMITE WORKING FOX IN ROCKS,, SO WHAT DOG DO I BREED FROM (WORK ABILITY)?

AS THE SAYING GOES ITS HORSES FOR COURSES.

YIS CHANCER

Why not breed a "rock" dog to an "earth" dog and try and produce pups that are good at both,makes sense to me?

And rocks make dogs imo,i know why some dogs dont make rock dogs,but my rock dogs made short work of earths,why are your rock dogs not very good in earths? i dont get this.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

AT WHAT AGE DO YOU GUYS THINK OF BREEDING OFF A WORKING TERRIER?   AND WHAT AGE DO USE (APPROX) THINK TERRIERS HAVE MADE THE GRADE,? MYSELF PERSONALLY WOULD   NEVER EVEN THINK OF BREEDING OFF A TE

WELL ALL DEPENDS MY VIEW DOG AT LEAST 4 SEASONS BITCH SAME MAYBE 3 BUT MUST OF SHOWED SOME REALLY TRUE GRIT IN MANY SITUATIONS BUT WITH GOOD WORKING ABILITY REGARDS DABBER

TOTALLT AGREE FELLA NOWADAYS YOU HEAR OF PUPS BEING BORN FROM A 2YR OLD MOTHER THATS WHY THE GAME IS BAD AS IT GETS     YIS CHANCER

Posted Images

ive got a 2 year old dog and ide use him in a second. ive got no problems with people that wait thats there choice it cant be a bad thing. 1 of the dogs i own came from a young sire a very good dog but was dead by the age of 4 if he wasnt bred young i wouldnt have the dogs ive got :thumbs:

no excuse for using young dogs ,take straws !! if the dog works consistently well as a adult , use the dog . if he has a short life then you have the choice of taking a chance on the straw or maybe another suitable dog. as for useing a dog thats not been worked cos the bloods in it is bollox imo you want the best of the blood and the only way you know what that is , is to have them all worked . its the speed breed fashion and the mls fraternity (my line syndrome). unfortunately they tend to shout the loudest cos they want the fame / fortune or both :feck: .

i dont preach at no one if i want to youse a young dog i will. i dont sell pups i breed for my self and freinds and i wouldnt breed from an untried dog but if other people are happy to good luck to em :feck:

Aask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers possibly. & none of the wrong or right!

Personally, I think you need to think about what you are digging where you are digging & what you are using. Youve got to take am educated gamble in my opinion.

This one was a gamble ;)

DSCN0792lighter.jpg

did the gamble pay of or still to young ?

Payed off.

Janv_09018-1.jpg

I PERSONALLY AM THE OWNER OF 7 TERRIERS AND THERE IS NOT 1 THE SAME

FOR EXAMPLE 4 OF MY DOGS I COULDNT ENTER INTO A ROCK WORKING WARE AS THE OTHER 3 I

COULD TRUST AND KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT IN THESE SITUATIONS. THIS IS A GOOD TOPIC AND GOOD

POINTS BEEN PUT ACROSS, THE DOGS I USE FOR ROCK PILES AINT THE BEST EARTH DOGS BUT DO A JOB,

WARE AS THEY ARE DYNAMITE WORKING FOX IN ROCKS,, SO WHAT DOG DO I BREED FROM (WORK ABILITY)?

AS THE SAYING GOES ITS HORSES FOR COURSES.

YIS CHANCER

Why not breed a "rock" dog to an "earth" dog and try and produce pups that are good at both,makes sense to me?

And rocks make dogs imo,i know why some dogs dont make rock dogs,but my rock dogs made short work of earths,why are your rock dogs not very good in earths? i dont get this.

I NEVER SAID THEY WERNT ANY GOOD IN EARTHS. THEY TEND TO HOLD BACK MORE AND ARE MORE SCREAMING TYPE TERRIERS

THEY DO A JOB AS EARTH DOGS ASWELL ONLY IN SHALLOW DIGS THOUGH. MANY TIMES IV REACHED THE QUARRY TO THE ROCK DOGS

AND IT SEEMS TO HAVE PUSHED ON WITH THE DOGS STANDING ABOUT 1MTR BACK.

AS BREEDING THEM I ONCE BRED A HARD BORDER/LAKIE TO A SCREAMING JRT. THE PUPS MADE THE GRADE AS ALL HARD EARTH DOGS

I TRYED A REPEAT MATEING AFTER THE PUPS WERE UP AND GRAFTING THE NEXT LITTER ALL CAME ON AS HARD TERRIERS

SO I JUST STICK TO A SCREAMER OVER A SCREAMER, SEEMS TO DO THE JOB THEYR BRED FOR.

YIS CHANCER

• Like 1

AT WHAT AGE DO YOU GUYS THINK OF BREEDING OFF A WORKING TERRIER?

AND WHAT AGE DO USE (APPROX) THINK TERRIERS HAVE MADE THE GRADE,? MYSELF PERSONALLY WOULD

NEVER EVEN THINK OF BREEDING OFF A TERRIER UNDER 2 YEARS OLD, DOG,OR BITCH, I HAVE BRED MANY TERRIERS IN

MY TIME AND NONE OF THEM HAVE BEEN UNDER 2.1/2 YEARS OF AGE AND HAD TO BE A PROVEN WORKER.

IM FOREVER HEARING OF PEOPLE BREEDING OFF YOUNG DOGS AND BITCHES SIMPLY BECAUSE THESE DOGS HAVE HAD

A COUPLE OF HANDY RESULTS, IMO A YOUNG DOG ,BITCH. UNDER 2YRS OLD CERTAINLY HASNT PROVED ITS WORTH

OF BEING CALLED A DECENT WORKING TERRIER. JUST MY OPINION.!!!!!!! WHAT DO YOUS THINK

YIS CHANCERstateing the obvious comes to mind only a moron can agree with breeding a bitch under two

• Like 1

some dont dig as much as others if a dog is dug 100 times in 2 seasons and another 100 times in 4 seasons wich is better to breed from imo its not the age its the work thave done :thumbs:

100 digs in two seasons........ If you dig EVERY Saturday and Sunday, that's 25 weeks (6 months) of solid digging!!

I don't think there are many who can honestly claim that :no:

Not directed at you fella, just MHO

A 2 year old dog will be lucky to have 1 full season under his belt

:yes::yes:

Young strong bitches give better litters IMO.

Its all well and good to "wait another year", but if you are really working terriers in deep earths then sometimes bad things can happen. A bird in the hand.......

too true a young bitch should produce a good trouble free litter ,but the line must be drawn some where ,the young bitch must have a few seasons under its belt to prove its worth.would you risk breeding a old bitch to maintain a good line ect just out of interest :thumbs:

Aask 10 people and you will get 10 different answers possibly. & none of the wrong or right!

Personally, I think you need to think about what you are digging where you are digging & what you are using. Youve got to take am educated gamble in my opinion.

This one was a gamble ;)

DSCN0792lighter.jpg

did the gamble pay of or still to young ?

Payed off.

Janv_09018-1.jpg

good all the best in the coming seasons :thumbs::drink:

Edited by ferret13

JMO, BUT I THINK A DOG/BITCH HAS TO HAVE AT LEAST 2 WORKING SEASONS MINIMUM UNDER IT'S BELT BEFORE BREEDING FROM. 1ST SEASON IS A LEARNING CURVE, 2ND SEASON IS WHEN A DOG/BITCH CAN BE JUDGED ON WORKING STYLE, THE MORE SEASONS THE DOG/BITCH HAS DONE THE BETTER. AS I SAY JMO, EVERYONE HAS THEIR OPINIONS, EVEN IF I WAS BREEDING FOR MYSELF I STILL WOULD'NT USE AN UNTESTED DOG/BITCH THAT HAD LESS THAN 2 SEASONS.

• 4 months later...

right lads,here's my tuppence worth, i know there's different digging all over the country, but if a dog is going to be worked to his full capacity, id say, for his first few seasons,the dog should be givin easy earths,single holers,shallow ones etc,stay away from the huge sprawling earths, give the dog the best chance, keep him winning. if youve managed to get 30 odd digs for the dog out of two seasons your doing well. the dog should be getting handier and be trying out the bigger sets, this is when the dog has to step up a notch,if hes still doing the business, he should be starting to get a bit of a style and not taking as much stick,if the dog produces a good season again, id be willing to put the dog in 'almost' any sets, if its diggable,and if your still getting a dig out of they sets,and the dog is'nt taking punishment, then id say you could class your dog as a right handy dog! cheers

What with al the big opinions on how to test a dog (how long it stays to ground, how many times dug to and at what depth etc) you would be led to believe that a hard digging terrier is all thet is worth breeding off.

To all the experts out there, how do you measure a baying/bolting terriers worthieness to breed, if they are at all?.

My answer to this, is that you cannot quantify or measure a dogs working ability based on these set 'rules'. Alot of it is to do with your own judgement of character. Some people will never breed good dogs because of this.

It is more of an art/science to breeding good dogs as opposed to a maths exercise.

Some dogs are never consistent in their working ability...yet sometimes they will amaze you.

Some dogs are steady as a rock but at the back of your mind you feel there is something lacking.

The truth is you cannot state over a keyboard what dog is worthy of being bred, only the owner and/or the people who have worked with the dog consistently can be a judge of this.

FTB

Edited by FightTheBan

the dog will find his own style, i dont care what kind of style he develops as long as you break through to the dog with something in front of him everytime, that would be what id class as a hany dog.as i said mate, irrelevant what style the dog develops as long as he's not taking a lot of stick.and if hes still going strong in his fourth season,and gettin better, then youve got yourself a good dog. cheers

What with al the big opinions on how to test a dog (how long it stays to ground, how many times dug to and at what depth etc) you would be led to believe that a hard digging terrier is all thet is worth breeding off.

To all the experts out there, how do you measure a baying/bolting terriers worthieness to breed, if they are at all?.

My answer to this, is that you cannot quantify or measure a dogs working ability based on these set 'rules'. Alot of it is to do with your own judgement of character. Some people will never breed good dogs because of this.

It is more of an art/science to breeding good dogs as opposed to a maths exercise.

Some dogs are never consistent in their working ability...yet sometimes they will amaze you.

Some dogs are steady as a rock but at the back of your mind you feel there is something lacking.

The truth is you cannot state over a keyboard what dog is worthy of being bred, only the owner and/or the people who have worked with the dog consistently can be a judge of this.

FTB

:thumbs::thumbs:

ive taken a chance on breeding a couple of pups for next season, sire is my own dog 2yrs, seen a bit but not as much as id like, he was bred grafter-grafter . the bitch is 8yrs russel/lakie-mix decent little fox dog, lad who owns her has never managed to get her in pup despite many attempts. decided a couple of months back to take a chance and let the bitch run with my dog for a week or 2, 3 weeks ago she whelped, 2 culled + 1 black dog pup + 1 black bitch pup left.

im taking the dog pup, the lad who owns bitch is keeping the bitch as a replacement for his other bitch when the time comes. great thread. dont think it matters too much if your just breeding for your own use if its in the breeding of the dog in the first place.

Edited by CarraghsGem