man fined getting lurcher fit

the roads i did it on were proper country roads/farm tracks. so no other cars about and like when on bike on roads where mite occasionally see car, is single road so pull over on grass, dogs stays to the lefthand side.

Yeah i have always done it on farm tracks or an old airfield that i live close to, i wouldnt do it on a road thumbs.gif

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

:icon_eek: deserved it , plain lasy

Not lazy its a decent way of getting a dog fit IMO. :wallbash:

Maybe the man was to busy to spend luxurious hours walking through feilds with the dog?

i believe in doing whats best for a dog and if i couldnt do what i thinks best i wouldnt have a dog, also before getting a lurcher people should consider the commitment they have to give. my honest opionion is each to there own but walking dogs along side a car on a road isnt for me but more for lasy people :tongue2:

Best way to get a dog fully fit, would love you to tell me how walking gets your dogs fit, five miles walk would be to my dogs like letting your dogs out in the garden to have a pee

STA60008.jpg

i find it a good way to get a dog fit if you are not capable(physicly/time wise)to do it any other way(bike or working). the idea of running a dog on the lead from a car is beyond me. what if the dog pulls up(strain,pain,foot problem.....................)?

the dog should run in front of the car(setting its own pace) and at a reasonable distance that you can stop the car fully should need be. i know people who run gundogs before work for 10 min in exactly this way but have never done it myself as i have heard enough stories of dogs being hit/run over(the bloke on countryfile did his collie some damage a few weeks ago,i bet john craven kept his anti mouth shut about that though :whistling: ).

i have three dogs here and they tend to keep each other fit enough with work and walks(playing,fighting....)but those who have only one who needs alot i can see the use of the car.

just do it safe and out of the way(public and police)the dogs welfare paramount.

waidmann

what was the story about john cravendid he run a dog over? hes a pratt it should have been him run over and not the dog

no mate that farmer bought a collie for the sheep and ran it in front of the car to wear him out before work :wallbash::wallbash:

the next time he was without the dog and had run it over,but he was ok.

i think john craven should be at best run on a lead at the same pace as a pure whippet for three hours( choker) and then shown what coursing with rottweiler means :thumbs:

he is a misinformed tart.

I think that he was being a lazy booger, and the main point here is that he was driving on a public road, holding the lead himself which means the dog was in the middle of the road, and he wasn't in proper control of the car. It may have been a country road but some people drive like idiots on the narrowest of roads and I just have a horrible picture in my head of what could have happened.

He was only going at 5mph which is no more than a decent walking speed, so I am pretty sure laziness was the problem. He was unemployed so it wasn't because of lack of time!!

I like it the way the newspaper made out he lost his licence for walking the dog from the car, he lost his licence because he had 12 points!! He only got 3 points and a tiny little fine for the offence. If you have nine points on your licence you make sure you behave or you risk getting banned!

He isn't a man I'd like to meet on a dark night!

I wonder if I could get my horse fit by running him alongside the car...

the dog should run in front of the car(setting its own pace) and at a reasonable distance that you can stop the car fully should need be. waidmann

good way to knock them over :doh: , mine run behind with the doors open when i stop they jump in the back whats the point in letting the dog set the pace your trying to get them fit not taking them out for walkies.

the dog should run in front of the car(setting its own pace) and at a reasonable distance that you can stop the car fully should need be. waidmann

good way to knock them over :doh: , mine run behind with the doors open when i stop they jump in the back whats the point in letting the dog set the pace your trying to get them fit not taking them out for walkies.

the point being that if you drive away from your dog you cannot see in front and behind therefore NOT paying attention to the road OR the dog. when getting a dog fit you will surely not want to be doing 20mph on a road would you?i'm presuming you are going for distance work and not maximum speed(which when running behind you on a road would mean on tarmac/hard surface?)

only with the dog in front can drive without the risk of running it over while being able to see the dog at all times.

these cases have been done in germany with the result that ONLY when running in front is the welfare of the dog being taken into consideration( anxiety/panic when driving away making the dog run its heart out.......)

the idea is to get the dog out for longer than you can on foot at a controlled speed and not to tear arse down the road with a trail of dogs to be run over by the next car :wallbash:

Well first off, pick your spot to do it BUT let's face it, it only serves one part of a dogs conditioning, it'll hardly get 'em 'match' fit, far more has to go into that!

As far as i'm concerned and i've done it, the negatives of this type of 'training' far out-weigh the positives for most folk. Plenty of idiots out there who would have no idea if it's doing more harm than good, driving at the wrong speeds for too long etc. :angry: Then you'll have the daft buggers (and i've seen 'em) who tie there dogs to the back... Fecking genius!! :doh:

There are more honest ways of getting your dog fit that both of you (you and your dog) can use and if your in no condition for a few miles over the fields, then it really doesn't matter if your dog is!! ;)