night vision scopes

Was it worth it? Does it pick up the likes of rabbits and at what distance?

Have you found it a real benifit at £2k ?

Chris

[quote name='dave1372' date='24 March 2010 - 01:04 PM' timestamp='1269435872' post='1496110'

I can pick out rabbits at 400yards with the IR laser attached (it is the IR laser that picks up the reflection of the eyes first). I know that people will argue that if you are only using it for rabbit shooting then get a good gen 1+ with IR.....but you won't need to buy another NV scope if you take up fox shooting in the future. Alternatively you could look at one of the new NV digisights which will be cheaper but I would check all the reviews first, I don't think they are designed quite to the same rugged spec.... it will be like anything in life you can always buy cheaper but you will be compromising somewhere either in build quality or function.

To answer your question, yes it was worth it....it will last at least 5 years so I justify it as it is the equivalent of £8 per week roughly...which in my opinion is better spent than smoking fags (I smoke my mate Jamies fags instead) or on drink. I think that justifies the cost don't you? Farmers will be very impressed that you can shoot the foxes that others can't get by lamping, and that is how you can get extra permissions or meet other shooters who can then recommend you, in my mind you can't put a price on that.

Where do you live, there may be people with NV in your area?

Edited by dave1372

Thanks for the info.

I live in East Lincolnshire (Grimsby).

Do you know of any one with a good night scope round here?

Chris

Was it worth it? Does it pick up the likes of rabbits and at what distance?

Have you found it a real benifit at £2k ?

Chris

[quote name='dave1372' date='24 March 2010 - 01:04 PM' timestamp='1269435872' post='1496110'

I can pick out rabbits at 400yards with the IR laser attached (it is the IR laser that picks up the reflection of the eyes first). I know that people will argue that if you are only using it for rabbit shooting then get a good gen 1+ with IR.....but you won't need to buy another NV scope if you take up fox shooting in the future. Alternatively you could look at one of the new NV digisights which will be cheaper but I would check all the reviews first, I don't think they are designed quite to the same rugged spec.... it will be like anything in life you can always buy cheaper but you will be compromising somewhere either in build quality or function.

To answer your question, yes it was worth it....it will last at least 5 years so I justify it as it is the equivalent of £8 per week roughly...which in my opinion is better spent than smoking fags (I smoke my mate Jamies fags instead) or on drink. I think that justifies the cost don't you? Farmers will be very impressed that you can shoot the foxes that others can't get by lamping, and that is how you can get extra permissions or meet other shooters who can then recommend you, in my mind you can't put a price on that.

Where do you live, there may be people with NV in your area?