Massive ferrets.

Ok so me and another member from here recently adopted 4 new ferrets. Two jills and two hobs, I have introduced the two jills with mine and they are happily settled in and look like they will be good workers . . . in particular a greyhound type albino jill that is probably one of the fastest ferrets i have ever seen.

There were also two hobs. Now these two brothers are HUGE and i dont mean just big by hob ferret standards i mean f*cking huge, They would give my jack russel a fright and have a striking resemblance to two polecat colored otters. No joke , it's ridiculous. They are tame as hell, come to call, like their tummys tickled and are great fun to watch. They have heads like buckets and eat like horses. To be fair they are as big or larger than a lot of the rabbits we catch.

So my question is - does anyone or has anyone ever worked a massive (and i mean massive) ferret apart from the old line hobs (and i reckon they weren't this big!)?

I'm not even sure if they would fit down many rabbit holes?

I may give them a try for the experience and then i think they will end up as house pets.

atb

Jai.

Lol! I've got a massive poley hob myself mate. He's an absolute cracker too.Great nature, not aggressive in any way, loads of character, full of fun, etc...............I know just what you mean about 'otter'!

I reckon he's to big to work. He's got the size & strength to kill rabbits underground no bother, & I reckon working him would result in every entry requiring a dig, whether it be to recover him and a rabbit, or just get him back out of a tight spot. He's kept with the rest of them, but purely as a pet, just because I like having him around :thumbs:

Mind you, I might consider using him to bolt foxes, or at least take him along to plug any holes I don't have a net for :laugh:

Ok so me and another member from here recently adopted 4 new ferrets. Two jills and two hobs, I have introduced the two jills with mine and they are happily settled in and look like they will be good workers . . . in particular a greyhound type albino jill that is probably one of the fastest ferrets i have ever seen.

There were also two hobs. Now these two brothers are HUGE and i dont mean just big by hob ferret standards i mean f*cking huge, They would give my jack russel a fright and have a striking resemblance to two polecat colored otters. No joke , it's ridiculous. They are tame as hell, come to call, like their tummys tickled and are great fun to watch. They have heads like buckets and eat like horses. To be fair they are as big or larger than a lot of the rabbits we catch.

So my question is - does anyone or has anyone ever worked a massive (and i mean massive) ferret apart from the old line hobs (and i reckon they weren't this big!)?

I'm not even sure if they would fit down many rabbit holes?

I may give them a try for the experience and then i think they will end up as house pets.

atb

Jai.

get some photos of the hobs up, wouldn`t mind seeing them, cheers dara

Aye they are currently in my mates kitchen (his girlfriend is highly amused) as i think they might scare the f**k out of the other ferrets, any fights or attempted mating would lead to dead squashed ferrets. Also they are brothers but were caught (apparently) shagging this morning. Say not just massive but gay and incestuous to boot!

Hopefully he will put up pics soon!

I may keep them with me just for the comedy value especially when you show anyone or take one out of a ferret box just after some one has finished netting up. Micro ferrets these are not! Also if hares ever start to burrow i'm sorted :thumbs:

atb

Jai.

The hobs from the litter I bred two years ago turned out to be monsters. :yes: I sent two over to Ireland with a member off here, I believe at least one of them is doing his stuff well. 11 dead rabbits in a row dug out with crushed skulls last weekend I believe! :D

i got sent this in an email

thats just looks like an OBESE pet ferret, think theres a bit of difference between big pets and big workers, Ill take a few pictures later, I''ve got two huge brothers, that just fit down the holes, but they dont half make rabbits run :D

i got sent this in an email

thats just looks like an OBESE pet ferret, think theres a bit of difference between big pets and big workers, Ill take a few pictures later, I''ve got two huge brothers, that just fit down the holes, but they dont half make rabbits run :D

:yes: Looks like a neutered male that hasn't had much exercise!