sore paws on my terriers

looking for some advice ive got two russell terriers and they both seem to suffer with sore paws is there anything i can do to treat them

they usually sort themselfs out - by licking at them .. whats the reason they get em in the first plce ? are they on soft bedding on wooden floors -

they got straw for beding and concrete slabs in the run of the kennel

It usually suggests the dogs are in constant wet conditions. If there is urine there, this can burn through their feet too, likewise strong disinfectant.

What do you think i should use instead of straw

Was thinking more about the wet concrete, especially in this weather, its not easy to keep them dry. I think straw is fine and Im sure your dogs are kept very well, but in my experience in the boarding kennels, dogs that wee everywhere have sometimes had very sore paws due to standing in it, the Vets have said that the urine acidity burns them making them soft and sore, was thinking along the same lines with your dogs?

Was thinking more about the wet concrete, especially in this weather, its not easy to keep them dry. I think straw is fine and Im sure your dogs are kept very well, but in my experience in the boarding kennels, dogs that wee everywhere have sometimes had very sore paws due to standing in it, the Vets have said that the urine acidity burns them making them soft and sore, was thinking along the same lines with your dogs?

thanks for your advice very greatfull

thanks for your advice im very greatfull

Ive got a concrete shed in my garden and its got tiled flooring do u think they be better off in there coz it wil be easyer to keep clean and dry

Ive got a concrete shed in my garden and its got tiled flooring do u think they be better off in there coz it wil be easyer to keep clean and dry

dun listen to that bolaks mate, just keep your kennels clean, and wash them out every day.

One thing I would recommend is changing the straw for bales of T - bag bedding.Try an animal feed suppliers. The dogs bodyheat seems to dry it out once its been wet & lasts alot longer than straw. We buy it from a pigeon feed supplier for about £7 per bale & it lasts ages

http://www.recycledproducts.org.uk/view/endproduct.cfm?saleable_id=10752&ss_id=448

Edited by CorkyJohn