CZ 452 BAD GROUPING

Hi all,

I am having a spot of bother getting decent grouping from my .22lr, as above it is the cz452-2e, If I am measuring right it has the 20" barrel and I have fitted a jls stalker mod onto that. Tried to set it up from new at 50yds and was surprised at the result, the inch circle was peppered with a 1.75" 5 shot group. I stuck at it making sure my technique was ok but 40 rounds later not much better at all, gave it a pull through with the bore snake just in case and brought the range down to 25 yards, wound up to 12 mag and had another crack. 5 shot groups again with the odd shot on shot and a a few cloverleaf groups but never all 5 in the 1", I could almost do better with a catapult!

I was using remington subs 38gr so changed to winchester x 40gr and got a bit better, managing inch grouping (just) at 35yds. Also tried RWS 40gr but not any better. I am sure it is not me. I have checked the scope and mounts, checked the stock screws are tight and tried through a clean barrel and an uncleaned but the groups show no real difference. All I can think of is the clearance between the stock and barrel, it is tight but still just clear getting a tenner between them but only 1.25" inch down. How far toward the fore-end screw should it be clear ? It is the black synthetic stock. I should mention that I was not rapid firing, taking my time and making sure it was not heating up. If the stock clearance is not the answer it is going back to shop on Monday. Any help would really be appreciated, so would any one with a patch of .22 cleared land nr Bradford to save me trailing all the way to my grounds!

Best regards,

Pete

ps forgot to say that I have checked and cleaned the mod, nothing touching for sure and apart from the crack!! not much difference to grouping when I took it off.

Hi a mate of mine had the same problem with a savage .17hmr. He just couldnt get a tight group he rang viking arms they tested it and it was a manufactures fault. if you know its not you pulling then i would say get it test/checked or you could spend a fortune on ammo. :wallbash:

Walshy

Put some winchester or Eley 40gr subsonics through it..

This model does not have a floating barrel, and it doesn't need it.

Have a quick check of the crown.

And recheck that everything it tight, stock, mounts, scope...everything!!

The next thing to check is your scope..make sure it isn't FUBAR'd and loosing zero, or has loose internals etc.

Are you shooting off a bag or some other suitable rest to maintain accuracy?

Get someone else to try it too!

22lr have a few quirks you need to look into. hmr do as well to some extent.

ammo and cleaning are to faults.

first, dont clean the barrel of a 22lr, it likes it dirty :icon_redface: only clean the bolt and pin, leave the bore alone.

second, ammo. differant barrels like differant ammo. pity you aren't closer to me as i would have sorted out 10 of each differant make and you could test rather than buying different types like i did to start with.

same more RFD don't do a random box for setting up LR's

my best group is with eley hollow xtras but was told they dont make them any more, there not on the eley web site either now. so i have to try and find the next best round again.

don't clean barrel and try differant ammo until you find one your rifle likes.

hope that helps

ATB

Phil.

Put some winchester or Eley 40gr subsonics through it..

This model does not have a floating barrel, and it doesn't need it.

Have a quick check of the crown.

And recheck that everything it tight, stock, mounts, scope...everything!!

The next thing to check is your scope..make sure it isn't FUBAR'd and loosing zero, or has loose internals etc.

Are you shooting off a bag or some other suitable rest to maintain accuracy?

Get someone else to try it too!

i`m no expert but you got to clean the barrel

hiya,most peeps including me dont clean their .22 barrels,too often,your mod may be clipping,pop some win subs through her,put your target at 18 yds,and put a few mags through it,barrel might just need bedding in a bit more,oki doki,ian

Have you had the trigger kit put in it??Had the same bother with my .22lr...lots of trigger creep.18yd groupings were round on round however the 50 yd groups were the same as yours.Fitted a rimfire magic trigger kit & the 50yd groups were almost round on round.

Hi all,

I am having a spot of bother getting decent grouping from my .22lr, as above it is the cz452-2e, If I am measuring right it has the 20" barrel and I have fitted a jls stalker mod onto that. Tried to set it up from new at 50yds and was surprised at the result, the inch circle was peppered with a 1.75" 5 shot group. I stuck at it making sure my technique was ok but 40 rounds later not much better at all, gave it a pull through with the bore snake just in case and brought the range down to 25 yards, wound up to 12 mag and had another crack. 5 shot groups again with the odd shot on shot and a a few cloverleaf groups but never all 5 in the 1", I could almost do better with a catapult!

I was using remington subs 38gr so changed to winchester x 40gr and got a bit better, managing inch grouping (just) at 35yds. Also tried RWS 40gr but not any better. I am sure it is not me. I have checked the scope and mounts, checked the stock screws are tight and tried through a clean barrel and an uncleaned but the groups show no real difference. All I can think of is the clearance between the stock and barrel, it is tight but still just clear getting a tenner between them but only 1.25" inch down. How far toward the fore-end screw should it be clear ? It is the black synthetic stock. I should mention that I was not rapid firing, taking my time and making sure it was not heating up. If the stock clearance is not the answer it is going back to shop on Monday. Any help would really be appreciated, so would any one with a patch of .22 cleared land nr Bradford to save me trailing all the way to my grounds!

Best regards,

Pete

ps forgot to say that I have checked and cleaned the mod, nothing touching for sure and apart from the crack!! not much difference to grouping when I took it off.

I suspect your scope/mounts are 'Crap' I have owned lots of .22's and many scopes.

The BRNO series of .22's are fireproof none are bad, the ammo is the only variable.

Please use RWS / Winchester Subs or Velocitor HV.

Have a good day Andy F

the barrel touching the stock will only change poi if you rest it on bipod when setting up then on sticks or bag.

if the rifle is being set up on a bag say'' as long as you hold it in the same place it shouldnt afect the groups. i would try eley ammo im betting the remmy stuff you are using is shite

NEVER clean you barrel with a .22LR unless you are using high velocity ammo! try some different ammo as previously said: winchester or eley or RWS, check your mod is on tight, and if its still not right then get it checked over by a gunsmith / where you nought it from.