Whippet x Greyhound!!! A pointless cross???

had a nice whippet grew who i ran for three seasons then retired her to a less demanding home but no were better than my coli type or saluk type in the allround stake ,she was a good dog as a few keen guys had witness her running game but was looking battle worn after three season so bred her got good pups and gave her back to were i got her from she is in the house now and has caut several pieces of game on nice grassfeilds , would i get another no , but i did like her ,and she bred good pups to a good saluki type ,, she was not weaked toe she had wind to and if i hadnt run her pretty hard any were she would still be here but , irf you stray and like to be out you cannot always pick were the qaurry runs ,there not a subsitute for a good lurcher but they have good qaulities in the [bANNED TEXT] ones ,i was lucky mines ran clebver and had wind if i had one the same tomorow i wouldnt run her diffrent no qaulms about them and on the [bANNED TEXT] ground fine but i gave, mines plenty running early so she was game wise ,but when rested she still got the mad head on for a run or two

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YOUR deluded if you think a whipet is faster than a grey, and whippets wil run round a day catching rabbits, you wil also get more courses out on hares in a day than you would with a grey

A pointless cross??? Christ, I can think of many that WOULD be well described as a pointless cross, that are forever getting dragged out the wood work, from your Akita's to your ABD's but never th

Posted Images

theres a lot of strong opinions on here, but the people who have posted with experience of the breed havn't left a negative post yet, all the bad points of the breed have been pointed out by peoples opinions. this breed may not have the best stamina but if there was such thing as a perfect breed evreryone would have one

no they havent but they also havent owned the cross since if you read it!! ive noticed a few people on here recently saying there running them now but the majority arent!!! i think the truth is they are good for light work but they are surpassed by other crosses in the lamping world!!! i can understand the reasons for the cross now but i personally dont need one for what i do!! and i wish all who do still run this cross and are thinking of running this cross many happy nights hunting with them!!! all the best B Cooper

whipxgrey

Thanks for your offer partner. I imagine they would be fun to fool with. The problem is that I need dogs that are 90 pounds or so and gyps around 75 pounds or so but thank you very much anyhow.

,,,,,AS I KNOW AMERCAN,S ARE INTO PED,S,,,,,

I'm sure some Americans are into peds and such but most of us that actually hunt have never registered a dog in our lives. Take care.

Edited by Dan Edwards

whipxgrey

Thanks for your offer partner. I imagine they would be fun to fool with. The problem is that I need dogs that are 90 pounds or so and gyps around 75 pounds or so but thank you very much anyhow.

I'm sure some Americans are into peds and such but most of us that actually hunt have never registered a dog in our lives. Take care.

not to sure on this but isnt it common in america to run deerhounds and then for the power you use xs like great dane/pitbull/greyhound x great dane/greyhounds or mastiff/great dane x deerhound 7 years ago when visiting my uncle in texas they were using these types of dogs. now he lives by winipeg in canada as they could do all types of work really big powerfull animals totally different to our dogs. could take deer. boar fox anything that could move. so how do you think a whip/grey could improve on your sport when you already have the deerhound for pace and then your big powerful breeds which arnt in any means slow

whipxgrey

not to sure on this but isnt it common in america to run deerhounds and then for the power you use xs like great dane/pitbull/greyhound x great dane/greyhounds or mastiff/great dane x deerhound 7 years ago when visiting my uncle in texas they were using these types of dogs. now he lives by winipeg in canada as they could do all types of work really big powerfull animals totally different to our dogs. could take deer. boar fox anything that could move. so how do you think a whip/grey could improve on your sport when you already have the deerhound for pace and then your big powerful breeds which arnt in any means slow

Its not common to use anything but greyhounds and big rough coated greyhounds that alot of folks call staghounds. There is deerhound in them of course but not todays deerhound. The mastiff and dane stuff may be used in Australia and place like that but not over here. We just use bulldogs for catch dogs on hogs or a stag/bull cross of some sort. I never said the whippet would improve my dogs at all. Quite to the contrary actually. They would lose alot of size and for hunting coyotes, I cannot have that. I have nothin against the whippets at all but I do not need them. I was just thanking the gentleman for the very kind offer.

You go puttin dane and mastiff into any dogs and you are gonna slow them down to the point that they wouldnt be good for nothin but hogs and why use them when they make nice 50 or 60 pound athletic bulldog bitches that you could put under a big powerful rough coated greyhound and make 75 to 85 pound rough dogs that are fast, strong, and gritty.

whipxgrey

Its not common to use anything but greyhounds and big rough coated greyhounds that alot of folks call staghounds. There is deerhound in them of course but not todays deerhound. The mastiff and dane stuff may be used in Australia and place like that but not over here. We just use bulldogs for catch dogs on hogs or a stag/bull cross of some sort. I never said the whippet would improve my dogs at all. Quite to the contrary actually. They would lose alot of size and for hunting coyotes, I cannot have that. I have nothin against the whippets at all but I do not need them. I was just thanking the gentleman for the very kind offer.

You go puttin dane and mastiff into any dogs and you are gonna slow them down to the point that they wouldnt be good for nothin but hogs and why use them when they make nice 50 or 60 pound athletic bulldog bitches that you could put under a big powerful rough coated greyhound and make 75 to 85 pound rough dogs that are fast, strong, and gritty.

i know in australia they do but when i was in texas next door to where i was staying they had the above breeds i mentioned. he had about 8 or nine of the things some lighter than others they had to be ranging from 70-150lb. they looked taller and wider than the bull x we use here.some of the males stood 32tts but built well. i watched them run in open ground at the back of ours and couldnt they shift. this is way before i started hunting myself. going again to visit some time this year but now he lives in canada.

herer's another reason for the whipp/grey cross, . i dont know if this has been metioned early. as i havent read all the thread.

BREEDING OTHER LURCHERS. in some ways i think using a whipp grey is a better prospect than a pure grey , for certain jobs, mainly ferreting.

adding the whippet lightens the bone , so you could have a dog the same hight as a pure grey but would be lighter in weight.

ye they do lighten bone a bit and are good little dogs ,when crossed but as as pure bred to soft at times skin and feet etc ,if i was wanting a rabbit only dog i would think them the best cross as the ones ive got dont lack fire and drive , more handy than there bigger brothers the collie greyhound at times ,thta i had , i like the the whippet greyhound i had she bred me a good litter and a good pups ,good dogs, but the whippet greyhound is not as a pure hunting dog full on even with an qaurter whippet still avarience in size with pups ranging 24 to 27 but are good dogs all the same ,i like them

herer's another reason for the whipp/grey cross, . i dont know if this has been metioned early. as i havent read all the thread.

BREEDING OTHER LURCHERS. in some ways i think using a whipp grey is a better prospect than a pure grey , for certain jobs, mainly ferreting.

adding the whippet lightens the bone , so you could have a dog the same hight as a pure grey but would be lighter in weight.

but what happens when these lighter even more fragile dogs take a bad fall or hit a fence do they jump back up and carry on hunting or are you taking them to the vets with a broken leg. i would be scared shitless in putting years of work into a dog for it to fall and it be game over. i would probly own one to mess about with but always have me sterdy lurcher for serious work. my bull/whip/grey x bed/whip at 20 months hit a bailer flat out and put all his back out had i choose to retire him even tho they said he probly could run in time. now think if that was one of them whip/greys dead dog. wouldnt you prefere to put a little of a stronger dog into them just to strenghten them out a little

[quote name=huntingalltheway' date='22 February 2010 - 06:12 PM' timestamp='12668623 :thumbs: 55' post='1453633]

but what happens when these lighter even more fragile dogs take a bad fall or hit a fence do they jump back up and carry on hunting or are you taking them to the vets with a broken leg. i would be scared shitless in putting years of work into a dog for it to fall and it be game over. i would probly own one to mess about with but always have me sterdy lurcher for serious work. my bull/whip/grey x bed/whip at 20 months hit a bailer flat out and put all his back out had i choose to retire him even tho they said he probly could run in time. now think if that was one of them whip/greys dead dog. wouldnt you prefere to put a little of a stronger dog into them just to strenghten them out a little

When a dog hits something at speed its the luck of the draw,How badly it gets hurt.A heavy dog wouldntbe travelling as fast,Would that have more to do to it.Think you would find there not all as fragile as you think :thumbs:

thats exactly what i wrote above :blink: used to breed somthing else like you have.

• 3 weeks later...

its like saying why make a beddyxwhip, or a colliexgrey etc etc, every time you breed something else into a dog you loose something but gain something else. whith a whippetxgrey i see you get a smaller dog but has good speed and drive. more stamina aswell. hourses for courses mate, every one has there fave breed.

it like the old argument why have bull in a dog. its just down to owner preference.