Whippet x Greyhound!!! A pointless cross???

T.Mcphees caithness dogs the ones i saw very mutch like small whippet greys but heard their was a touch of beddy in them.A well known FACT they caught very large hauls of rabbits in the lamp.thumbs.gif

fair play to them see that to me is the right way to go because they still got the bed in them. And to another comment about regardless of big bags. I see a big bag the best way to judge a dog it tkes alot of qualities to gain a big bag. this proves if they are truley good at there job. Also you get a few lads thinking they get to 20 often and they call it a night now all dogs have got it in them to do that but the truley great ones who pace there selves use there brain and control there speed to anticipate the turn and generally out wit what there running do really well. But its not uncommon that people get to 20 really quick but then have to call it a night cos they cant keep it up. Now in my books that defines a dog. Now im speaking from my own experiences but my mates dogs could continue all night just from using there brains and conserving energy which not many whip/greys can do.

i understand that!!! it was reply to D.Edwards saying that 3/4 grey x collies wernt fast enough for everyone on this site!! i was saying they can catch every animal in this countrey!! inc long earz pre ban(not in high numbers like other cross's) so what was it they wernt quick enough for in this countrey?? just trying to keep out of another argument were people dont read what im saying and think im saying there super coursing dogs wich im NOT for those of you who have tried to twist up what i sed in other comments!! thats no dig at you huntingalltheway atb :thumbs:

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YOUR deluded if you think a whipet is faster than a grey, and whippets wil run round a day catching rabbits, you wil also get more courses out on hares in a day than you would with a grey

A pointless cross??? Christ, I can think of many that WOULD be well described as a pointless cross, that are forever getting dragged out the wood work, from your Akita's to your ABD's but never th

Posted Images

T.Mcphees caithness dogs the ones i saw very mutch like small whippet greys but heard their was a touch of beddy in them.A well known FACT they caught very large hauls of rabbits in the lamp.thumbs.gif

fair play to them see that to me is the right way to go because they still got the bed in them. And to another comment about regardless of big bags. I see a big bag the best way to judge a dog it tkes alot of qualities to gain a big bag. this proves if they are truley good at there job. Also you get a few lads thinking they get to 20 often and they call it a night now all dogs have got it in them to do that but the truley great ones who pace there selves use there brain and control there speed to anticipate the turn and generally out wit what there running do really well. But its not uncommon that people get to 20 really quick but then have to call it a night cos they cant keep it up. Now in my books that defines a dog. Now im speaking from my own experiences but my mates dogs could continue all night just from using there brains and conserving energy which not many whip/greys can do.

i understand that!!! it was reply to D.Edwards saying that 3/4 grey x collies wernt fast enough for everyone on this site!! i was saying they can catch every animal in this countrey!! inc long earz pre ban(not in high numbers like other cross's) so what was it they wernt quick enough for in this countrey?? just trying to keep out of another argument were people dont read what im saying and think im saying there super coursing dogs wich im NOT for those of you who have tried to twist up what i sed in other comments!! thats no dig at you huntingalltheway atb :thumbs:

no probs mate and yeah get what your saying. Even tho im not biggest fan of the collie x. Nothing wrong with them they do the job well in this country. I would have a collie x anyday to the whip/grey

It can all depend on the land you are running on as some parts of the country i have found 20 rabbits would be a test for any dog and in other parts 20 rabbits would be acheivable to an average lamp dog.atb dell

I used to work my dogs (in the daytime...bushing in small fields) with two old poachers in S.Yorkshire. They worked a whippet, a lurcher of unknown breeding and a whippet/greyhound bitch. The only one that caught regular was the whippet/greyhound. In my opinion it just had that special something that it takes to catch in these awkward small fields, i don't know what it was but it had IT. Its not always about catching 40 plus rabbits, some people like me who work in the day are lucky to catch the odd one, but your dogs have to be pin sharp with a quick strike..and the dogs of this cross i have seen work were like this, and even in the small fields had the edge on the whippet. The bitches were about 23/24inch.

This is the reason people cross wippet with greyhounds in oppinion to create a dog with the best of both breeds.This wippet x grey stood at 25 tts tall the next biggest dog out of litter stood 22tts my brother had him.The dog in the picture was nearly as fast as my pure greyhound and could turn as quick as my beddy wippet he was a prolific catch dog on hare and rabbit never had a dog to touch him since ATB taker

post-42295-126645227903_thumb.jpg

This is the reason people cross wippet with greyhounds in oppinion to create a dog with the best of both breeds.This wippet x grey stood at 25 tts tall the next biggest dog out of litter stood 22tts my brother had him.The dog in the picture was nearly as fast as my pure greyhound and could turn as quick as my beddy wippet he was a prolific catch dog on hare and rabbit never had a dog to touch him since ATB taker

what types have you been running since him!!! ??

Hi cooper.. theres not many crosses of lurchers i havent had mate had some good and some i wont even mention.Ive had bull x wippet .. bull x greyhounds ..collie x .like i say not many i havent had mate .

hello taker!! why havent you used this cross again since your last one?? if this was your most sucessful dog to date!! is it a lack of good ones about or is it because you have diffrent hunting needs nowadays?? we dont run them in my circle of friends we dont use them atall this is why i started this thread to understand the cross!! !! for the variety i take and the ground i work my collie x grey suits my needs fine! its just really me trying to know more about a cross i have always overlooked!!thanks

Edited by cooper101

Hi cooper.. theres not many crosses of lurchers i havent had mate had some good and some i wont even mention.Ive had bull x wippet .. bull x greyhounds ..collie x .like i say not many i havent had mate .

hello taker!! why havent you used this cross again since your last one?? if this was your most sucessful dog to date!! is it a lack of good ones about or is it because you have diffrent hunting needs nowadays?? we dont run them in my circle of friends we dont use them atall this is why i started this thread to understand the cross!! !! for the variety i take and the ground i work my collie x grey suits my needs fine! its just really me trying to know more about a cross i have always overlooked!!thanks

To answer that cooper at the time i had this dog just for rabbit and hares he wasnt any good for anything else.At the time we ran a pack of hounds and had to have dogs that could do fox being out a couple of times a week with hounds and digging.As for most sucessful dog i shuold have made it clear it was only at hare and rabbits times change i have a first x bull and ive just found a big wippet to line her so we will see ATB taker

lol!! if you read most of the comments people only owned this cross once!! it seems to me like they feel they were lacking in certain elements and moved on from them and found diffrent crosses more effective!! i have no doubt now in there rabbiting abilities.

but i feel from what everyone on here has said they would rather use an extra element in there dogs be it a bit of beddy or collie or whatever!! as a full time dog i dont see anyone who still runs one who has allready owned one before!! just what i have picked up through this thread as its gone along!! i might me wrong and have read the comments wrong!! but i think the truth is they are good fun for a bit of sport but dont reach the requirements needed for an everday lamping dog and other cross's surpass them!!

lol!! if you read most of the comments people only owned this cross once!! it seems to me like they feel they were lacking in certain elements and moved on from them and found diffrent crosses more effective!! i have no doubt now in there rabbiting abilities.

but i feel from what everyone on here has said they would rather use an extra element in there dogs be it a bit of beddy or collie or whatever!! as a full time dog i dont see anyone who still runs one who has allready owned one before!! just what i have picked up through this thread as its gone along!! i might me wrong and have read the comments wrong!! but i think the truth is they are good fun for a bit of sport but dont reach the requirements needed for an everday lamping dog and other cross's surpass them!!

think that sounds spot on

Thats about it in a nutshell realy.Most of the large speciemens of this cross years ago were usualy gave or sold for peanuts to lads who wanted a dog for the feilds that would have been to big for raceing.I would not have one nor any two dog hybred no matter wat the cross and thats down to my own exspieriences.atb dell

i agree with you,,,,,,they are injury prone,,,,,,but when u get a 36lber or 40lber ,,,,behind a deer or hare,,,,and knowing the speed they can reach,,,u know there quarry doesnt stand a chance,,,,,,even more so now as there so close , on advrege on breaking the 8 second barrier 2day,,,,20 years ago this was unthinkable

i hunt mine,,,,but i have to be carefull,,on ground i run them on,,,,,,but feck me ,,,,when the hunt is on ,,,u can double the excitment iam feally to normal working dog,,

do they have there place in hunting world?????? i think they do,,as whip x grey ,,,,gives u the option,,,,rather than going to a big track greyhound,,,( more feeding)

best dog i ever seen on bolting rabbit,s was a whip x grey

( i agree with folk with there injurys,,,,somtimes u get agood un,,,,and there,s no injurys,,,,,there the smarter type,,,and it is hit or miss )but come with age 4/5 year old is there best time in hunting game :thumbs: