Whippet x Greyhound!!! A pointless cross???

I too would much rather run a first cross whippet/greyhound than a first cross collie greyhound. In theory anyhow. But.............you give me a 7/8 greyhound 1/8 collie and I would chose that over a whippet/greyhound any day. I might would run a 3/4 bred if they were fast enough to catch something.

mark my words 3/4 grey 1/4 collie crosses are fast enough to catch anythink in this country!!! tried and tested to the limit!!! nobody on this forum can truly doubt the 3/4 cross's lamping ability!!!

All the lads running fen hares and the lads running in the lamping comps on here should take note of this x,sounds unbeatable :whistling:

LAMPING ABILITY IF YOU CAN READ PROPERLY!!!

Im gonna shut up mate because you dont need any help to make a fool out of yourself, "lamping ability" 2 words "muscle mass" try and understand that eh.

Everything has limitations,if it didnt we would all have that type,and considering we probably all hunt different land and different numbers no one type would suite everyone,quoting bollocks about one type and ignoring faults is pretty stupid.

No hard feelings i hope.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YOUR deluded if you think a whipet is faster than a grey, and whippets wil run round a day catching rabbits, you wil also get more courses out on hares in a day than you would with a grey

A pointless cross??? Christ, I can think of many that WOULD be well described as a pointless cross, that are forever getting dragged out the wood work, from your Akita's to your ABD's but never th

Posted Images

Pointless.. Bit harsh eh? :icon_eek:

Pointless...not harsh...clueless. :yes:

notice the ?????? marks it was asking what people thought!! as yes i dont run them so was looking for a bit of education on them!!! clueless with dogs im not but when i dont understand a breed i like to get opinions so i can further my knowledge if you read right through this thread you will understand that i used the phrase pointless to ruffle some feathers and get som tounges wagging so people who had seen this breed could educate me further on it!!

If you wanted to know about a breed/cross of dog why put "pointless." Because it sounds like a statement not a question. Anyway, do you want one? Now you know they are the "ultimate catch dog." :clapper:

Mousey mousey - nearly 30 rabbits in a week - clap clap sonnie boy !!

I have noticed a few people commenting on whippet x greyhounds and i have always understood it to be a pointless cross!! why wouldnt you just get a small greyhound or a large whippet instead of mixing up the blood!! only an opinion!! all views welcome agree or disagree!!! thanks

love the x easy to own always found them easy to train.my 12yr old would in her day take 20,s on the lamp stright out the squat,work nets when ferretting with hand signals,bring back without even a bruise on the carkass she would even retrive for the gun.capable of 1 or 2 hares.she will be hard to replace.as to why brains,hybrid vigur,quick start turning ability.but my old man always rekond because way back when it was because they were cheap,greyhounds were expensive but you could get hold of 1 on loan to throw over your whippet

the one i had was 3 1/4 whippet 1 1/4 greyhound and she did me proud

DSC00454.jpg

very clever very fast and could do whatever i wanted,iv never seen another one run but mine worked well for me

i could imagin there ok to catch 10 rabbits but you rarely here whip/greys catching 40 rabbits plus. Where as it is common round the country for the collie or bull or alsation and bedlington x's to do this i mean if your like me and you'd be happy with 10 to 20 thats fine but to serious hunters these numbers just dont cut it.

The stamina on the ones i can remember from the 70s was not to be underestimated then again the pure whippets were packed with stamina and a recovery rate after a short run second to non.IMHO a well bred whippet/grey first cross would have the same or more stamina as a 3 quarter greyhound bred dog depending on wat cross.??

yeah your probly right about the 70's but most the whippets and greyhounds are rubbish now so there nothing good to breed from but i still havnt heard many whip/greys getting over 40 so if you compare them to other breeds there a bit slack.

DSC00454.jpg

very clever very fast and could do whatever i wanted,iv never seen another one run but mine worked well for me

i could imagin there ok to catch 10 rabbits but you rarely here whip/greys catching 40 rabbits plus. Where as it is common round the country for the collie or bull or alsation and bedlington x's to do this i mean if your like me and you'd be happy with 10 to 20 thats fine but to serious hunters these numbers just dont cut it.

The stamina on the ones i can remember from the 70s was not to be underestimated then again the pure whippets were packed with stamina and a recovery rate after a short run second to non.IMHO a well bred whippet/grey first cross would have the same or more stamina as a 3 quarter greyhound bred dog depending on wat cross.??

yeah your probly right about the 70's but most the whippets and greyhounds are rubbish now so there nothing good to breed from but i still havnt heard many whip/greys getting over 40 so if you compare them to other breeds there a bit slack.

huntingall the way why do you think theres no good greyhounds or whippets out there and their all rubbish theres better and faster stock out there now than theres ever been at any time you have all the irish australian and american bloodlines which are bred to run over longer distances than over here plus the british breeders are throwing out stuff that can match anything in the world.and my opinion on the greyhound x whippets i have seen and owned one or two by willhay many years ago is that they are brilliant catch dogs and the ones i saw running had plenty of stamina for a nights lamping or day out in the feilds and the bonus was they were all gutsy as hell.

DSC00454.jpg

abit harsh.I agree they aint anything to blow your socks off but they do what it says on the tin.most of the lads I know just throw rabbits so 20 is more than enough for me aint got any use for more.just an observation;check the for sale section there always alot of these other x's for sale(dogs over 6mnth).1 mans meat is anothers poison

a well bred whippet/grey first cross would have the same or more stamina as a 3 quarter greyhound bred dog depending on wat cross.??

I would think that to be very true.

I cant remember the fellas name that started this thread but anyhow, it would be a very rare 3/4 greyhound that would be fast enough to suit me. I like extremely fast dogs. I want them to be just a touch off of a greyhounds speed and to be honest I would prefer them to be able to run ever bit as fast as any greyhound in the world. I dont want them to be pussies and fragile like alot of these track bred type dogs but the speed is a definate for me. They do make dogs out there that are extremely fast and extremely hardy. You just gotta find em.

huntingall the way why do you think theres no good greyhounds or whippets out there and their all rubbish theres better and faster stock out there now than theres ever been at any time you have all the irish australian and american bloodlines which are bred to run over longer distances than over here plus the british breeders are throwing out stuff that can match anything in the world.and my opinion on the greyhound x whippets i have seen and owned one or two by willhay many years ago is that they are brilliant catch dogs and the ones i saw running had plenty of stamina for a nights lamping or day out in the feilds and the bonus was they were all gutsy as hell.

talking about in britain as you dont get as many as american or australian bloodlines plus the inbreeding in greyhounds are through the roof and yeah your right the greyhounds in a breed have changed but not really that much for the good other wise they wouldnt be using sperm frozen from 10 to 20 years ago. Look at the honcho lines hes sired over 9000 pups this type of breeding is no good for the breed look at breed like german shepherds 20 years ago they were decent till all the inbreeding. Plus now adays people breed dogs for the money and not for breed quality. And please could you put some pics of these whip/greys with big bags. As i think it would be a good learning curve for me. Ps dont waste my time if its less then 40 because otherwise my point still stands that its rare for whip/greys to get bags over 40. Also to everyone else who has caught some big bags could you put pics up and state cross. As keen to learn

look at breed like german shepherds 20 years ago they were decent till all the inbreeding

Inbreeding has nothing to do with that. It is the lack of use and the lack of men that are willing to load the gun and put a .22 in the brain housing group of any dog that is found wonting. That is the true problem right there.

I too would much rather run a first cross whippet/greyhound than a first cross collie greyhound. In theory anyhow. But.............you give me a 7/8 greyhound 1/8 collie and I would chose that over a whippet/greyhound any day. I might would run a 3/4 bred if they were fast enough to catch something.

mark my words 3/4 grey 1/4 collie crosses are fast enough to catch anythink in this country!!! tried and tested to the limit!!! nobody on this forum can truly doubt the 3/4 cross's lamping ability!!!

All the lads running fen hares and the lads running in the lamping comps on here should take note of this x,sounds unbeatable :whistling:

LAMPING ABILITY IF YOU CAN READ PROPERLY!!!

Im gonna shut up mate because you dont need any help to make a fool out of yourself, "lamping ability" 2 words "muscle mass" try and understand that eh.

Everything has limitations,if it didnt we would all have that type,and considering we probably all hunt different land and different numbers no one type would suite everyone,quoting bollocks about one type and ignoring faults is pretty stupid.

No hard feelings i hope.

read the first statement from d.edwards it says" i would have a 3/4 cross if they were fast enough to catch anythink!! i am only saying that a 3/4 grey x1/4 collie is fast enough to catch anything in this country!! your now the one making a fool of yourself with your inability to understand peoples comments!! im not saying that the collie x is the best dog im saying it is fast enough to do all quarry in this countrey regardless of how big the bags are at the end of the night!!!

DSC00454.jpg

abit harsh.I agree they aint anything to blow your socks off but they do what it says on the tin.most of the lads I know just throw rabbits so 20 is more than enough for me aint got any use for more.just an observation;check the for sale section there always alot of these other x's for sale(dogs over 6mnth).1 mans meat is anothers poison

yeah but thats the whole point they dont blow your socks off. Why stick that whippet to that greyhound or vise versa when you could put something better over it and get that something to blow your socks off. Kind of the reason for the topic. Hence why i he said pointless. Why breed an average dog when you could have something truley amazing.

a dog is what you make it lads not what its made of if its fit well enterd and lots of game for it to run it will perform well a good dog man will catch with any breed because he works it to its strong points and not its weeknesses dont take to much notice of breeding just get out and work them hard they are all good at something and not so good others iv seen some good dogs but never a perfect one they dont exsist no breed is pointless they all give someone enjoyment and thats what it all about /by the way a whippet greyhound will most certainly take 40 a night given the chance id never right any breed off nothing is set in stone i find there are alot of good collie crosses out there because they are the most commonly owned working dog but give a good dog man any breed and hel make it a good un

T.Mcphees caithness dogs the ones i saw very mutch like small whippet greys but heard their was a touch of beddy in them.A well known FACT they caught very large hauls of rabbits in the lamp.thumbs.gif

fair play to them see that to me is the right way to go because they still got the bed in them. And to another comment about regardless of big bags. I see a big bag the best way to judge a dog it tkes alot of qualities to gain a big bag. this proves if they are truley good at there job. Also you get a few lads thinking they get to 20 often and they call it a night now all dogs have got it in them to do that but the truley great ones who pace there selves use there brain and control there speed to anticipate the turn and generally out wit what there running do really well. But its not uncommon that people get to 20 really quick but then have to call it a night cos they cant keep it up. Now in my books that defines a dog. Now im speaking from my own experiences but my mates dogs could continue all night just from using there brains and conserving energy which not many whip/greys can do.