Whippet x Greyhound!!! A pointless cross???

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

YOUR deluded if you think a whipet is faster than a grey, and whippets wil run round a day catching rabbits, you wil also get more courses out on hares in a day than you would with a grey

A pointless cross??? Christ, I can think of many that WOULD be well described as a pointless cross, that are forever getting dragged out the wood work, from your Akita's to your ABD's but never th

Posted Images

A pointless cross??? :doh: Christ, I can think of many that WOULD be well described as a pointless cross, that are forever getting dragged out the wood work, from your Akita's to your ABD's but never the whippet X greyhound!! :yes:

I think whippet x greyhounds are a great cross, so many differing opinions on here, mostley from those who have never owned 'em.

I have, and yes, i've moved on from them but only because my style of dogwork changed and I think thats why so many folk have.

Grews, from my expierience, are fantastic "up an at 'em" dogs, keen as fecking mustard, with real desire and speed to burn, desire that many other crosses, depending on how they are bred and entered can sadly lack! With this cross, you know exactley what your gonna get!!!

For someone who wants a real 'sharp' dog, look no further.

They are also great begginers dogs and if a bitch is purchased can be used as a great baseline for breeding to whatever the hunter wishes a dog to do in the field.

Are they tough, well my first (when I was a kid) would (usually encouraged by me! :angel: ) run the back ally walls for cats, falling many times at breakneck speeds, never took a bad injury. Sliced herself to bits jumping through any window she could, to get to cats, would split a bramble to pull a rabbit out and would take some almighty punishment off foxes, without ever quitting.

Fast enough to kill a hare with ease and for me what was best, was that a kill or a miss was all done in the same field, if she didn't kill it within four or five turns , the hare was off and well excercised for them saluki's to test their mettle!

As for lamping, why ever not, they are great lampers, there desire and speed off start can turn much quarry off a hedge line and yer, they may bounce a bit on a strike but lightweight and well muscled, they'll take their knocks well, though agility can and does prevent a lot of injury.

Good feet? That would depend on how the animal is bred, as in other crosses. Would you have to pick and choose your fields? Well yes, to an extent BUT dont we all do that to a greater or lesser degree.

All in all, for me, a great little cross, one i'd well go back to, if my circumstances changed. ;)

Edited by Bosun11
  • Like 1