18 pups

Hi all

not very often you will see me post

however on this occasion i must, at 6 this morning my lurcher bitch had her first pup by 5.30pm she had 12

everything fine all doing well, went for a beer came back another 6 pups , again all fine but will need some looking after

good luck with the pups,ive never bred a litter myself,so maby im way off on this,but im sure someone will say for sure,18 is way too many for the bitch to raise,you would be better of culling a fair few,which will be better for the bitch and the remaining pups,which im sure is formost in your mind rather than the money from selling them,in fact i would never buy a pup from such a big litter no matter how they were bred,as i say though good luck

Skinnyrat

Guest samstheman
:icon_eek: how many??What a litter! Would imagine nature will take over and cull some-the bitch will have trouble coping with that many babies,she only has 8 teats after all. What breed are they?

Wow what a litter! IMO culling pups is cruel, nature will more than likely take it's toll with a fai few. The biggest litter i've had was 13 in april this year, i was pts because it had a cleft palate and dermoid sinus, but all the others were absolutely fine. I hand fed them aswell as putting them on the bitch and they were on solids at 2 1/2 - 3 weeks old. The bitch coped well. Good luck with them. :D

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:icon_eek: What's the 'Record' number of pups in a litter, for chrissake???

If someone had asked me, " Could a bitch drop 18 ? ", I'd have told them not to be a c***! That's got to be 'Top Five' ranking in the all time ridiculous numbers of pups, surely?

Did ye have her on fertillity treatment or something?! :laugh:

If someone had asked me, " Could a bitch drop 18 ? ", I'd have told them not to be a c***! That's got to be 'Top Five' ranking in the all time ridiculous numbers of pups, surely?

got to agree their mate ive never heard of that many in my life :icon_eek:

the largest ever recored litter was 24.......... guinness book of records....

Deffinatley is an achievment that mate, for the bitch not you that is!! You were in the pub haha

A bitch whelping any number of pups has the stuffing knocked out of it for a day or two so for her to whelp 18 puppies sucessfuly is fantastic.

Had a lab in not so long ago that whelped 12 puppies, not an enourmous amount i know but still an amount i wouldnt wish on any bitch. The litter im refering to being her first she was a bit clumbsy and being so heavy set made me even more dubious as to wether or not i was going to have a problem on my hands. All 12 made it through the first 24 hours but then the contenders and the weaker pups where suddenly apparent. To assist her i tied coloured wool loosley around 6 of the puppies necks and simply placed them on her in 90 minute intervals, making sure that each pup in each group was feeding and content. This regime worked spot on for me, was a bit of a pain in the arse but i love what i do. After 10 days i felt my intervention was no longer necessary. Obviously 18 is a huge burden for any bitch so this may be something you could try to help them and her along.

I personaly would not reccomend culling any healthy puppies, simply because they have 8 or so more siblings than their mothers owner is used to seeing / whelping. Mother nature culls when necessary.

Good luck with them anyway and keep us informed on their progress and the bitches too.

Try and get some pics up too!

Kind Regards

Ant