working whippets!!!

hey lads i have been thinking on getting a dog for rabbits for a while now, i am thinking of a whippet but would love if you guys could give me some info on them before i buy...all i will be doing is rabbits, lamping and ferreting...would a whippet have enough stamina for a hard nights lamping???...are they easily injured???...which would you think is better a dog or a bitch???

could you please give me some useful info on this breed as i dont have much experience with the breed...

thanks alot

craig

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are brilliant rabbit catcher and can also take the odd fox and a few other things, i hope that helps

thanks fence hopperthumbs.gif at least there are sum people on here that can give a decent reply..how do you find them stamina wise?

Guest fence_hopper

well i was told never run a whippet till its tired so it keeps it fire, if you know what i mean. there fun little dogs, get one try it, it's the only way to find out. not much more to say realy long as i'm happy with mine fuk what anyone else thinks of them.

Edited by fence_hopper

they are what you make them mate the best night so far with my bitch is 27 single handed mate and she has just turned 16 months old . shes not had a injury all season other than squirell bites and im happy with that. they cam do the job well mate id never not have a whippet now

thanks mate i think i will get one and put the effort in and hopefully end up with a handy little rabbiting dog!!!!

hi mate., I have 2 dogs one is 14month old and doing me proud, the other is about 3 he was started late but still producing the goods on a regluar basis , my mate has bitches and prefers them i have dogs and they seem to be good enough for me, I mainly ferret and the dogs get some hammer in the dales, i also did some ratting on a local farm the other week and the got 202 rats in 4 hour

Young pup saturday just gone

DSC_7632.jpg

DSC_7634.jpg

all taken by the whippets

DSC_7669.jpg

DSC_7673.jpg

not frigile at all good noses and stamina to work all day in crap weather

DSC_7674.jpg

my other whippets dont like the cold, someone tell mine that

DSC_7292.jpg

DSC_7294.jpg

Rats these dogs had never seen rats before, 1st hour 65, 2nd 1/2 hour 25 and the 1 1/2 hours 112, not bad for a Novis

DSC_7238.jpg

DSC_7122.jpg

DSC_7125.jpg

DSC_7134.jpg

DSC_6978.jpg

DSC_6988.jpg