Fox Hunting Rifle

I have recently been authorised to have a .223 for fox hunting and have about £1000 to spend on the rifle and about £500 on scope. I'm going to the Newark shooting show at the end of the month so can anyone recommend a suitable rifle please? I am considering Sako, Mauser and Remmington amongst others.

Spend more, or as much, on the scope than the rifle. It's an old saying but so, so true. You will never regret buying good optics for your rifle. It is an investment, a good scope will last your lifetime. For foxing, given that you are shooting a heavy barreled rifle off a bi-pod/rest, and most of the time from a vehicle, a big magnification can be a great help for long distance foxing.

Personally most of my foxing is done from high seats or when stalking so I just use my Sako Finnlight 6.5x55 with a 7x50 S&B on it.

If you buy a quality , but second hand, rifle with a good action you will not go far wrong as you will be able to re-barrel/re-stock in the future if necessary. Have a look on Guntrader. Have a look at Macleods of Tain for rifles and optics, they have some quality second hand goods on their site. I couldn't find anyone to beat their prices, even allowing for couriering.

Atb, ft

Thanks for the advice. Was going to go for S&B Hungarian 8x56 as prefer fixed mag scopes. I think this is probably going to be the only rifle I buy for the forseeable future so wanted to push the boat out. A company near me, Rhino Rifles offer custom builds to suit most budgets but thought I might also get a bargain at the Newark show. I quite fancy the Annie .223.

If it's any consolation, I did go without Xmas, Birthday and Wedding anniversary presents this year so I think I'm entitled to splash out, especially since I have been after getting my licence for years! Having said that, the odd £20 note has found its way, on occasion into my savings mug...when the wife wasn't looking obviously!

Thanks for the advice. Was going to go for S&B Hungarian 8x56 as prefer fixed mag scopes. I think this is probably going to be the only rifle I buy for the forseeable future so wanted to push the boat out. A company near me, Rhino Rifles offer custom builds to suit most budgets but thought I might also get a bargain at the Newark show. I quite fancy the Annie .223.

S&B Hungarian are good scopes. If you are limited to one rifle for the moment, and if you might fancy a pop at a deer in the future, why not a .243? And before everyone starts, I have a 6.5 and will not sell it because I believe it superior to the .243 in what i want to achieve (I may add another calibre though), but the .243 was designed as a varmint rifle and is outstanding in that capacity, but is deer capable if you use the 100gn bullets.

Just a thought :thumbs:

ft

Only got .223 on licence and probably won't go any bigger than this for some time. It's more the make and model of rifle that I'm interested in as so many to choose from and not many dealers have all makes to compare. Thanks for advice though

Get any 223 you fancy, & a scope thats clear, to 200 yard , you dont have to spend a fortune, we all use tasco/bushnell s/h scopes & s/h walking stick cz's :thumbs:, get some good footware £100+

Edited by clint

s+b 8x56 is a good quality low light scope( optimum of light transmission).are you thinking of illuminated recticle( something i would go for if shooting without a lamp :thumbs: ).

as above i would get a quality scope and a rifle that you like/suits your style of hunting.

atb

I have recently been authorised to have a .223 for fox hunting and have about £1000 to spend on the rifle and about £500 on scope. I'm going to the Newark shooting show at the end of the month so can anyone recommend a suitable rifle please? I am considering Sako, Mauser and Remmington amongst others.

I have a friend who has the most 'peachy' varmint factory rifle i've ever seen, its a Saur Wolverine, it is the 'dogs' his is a 25.06 but they do it in 22.250 and .223, mine's a Ruger number one in 22.250, the guy's are right though, three thing to get right scope, scope, scope!

I use a leupold VX3 6,5>20x50 LRT with varmint ret, scary expensive but in the end worth every penny, did I say penny?

Enjoy your shopping AndyF

don't discount Kimber,I don't have one but they do make some seriously good looking rifles- the 84M Longmaster classic and the Pro Varmint would be good choices, not much over 7lbs plus a heavy fluted barrel they did a review of one of their lightweight hunting rifles in Gunmart a while ago- you can find it on their website-

Gunmart review link

Longmaster Classic link

Pro Varmint link

they look like great lighter weight choices for a walkabout fox gun.

Cheers

DB