.22LR supersonic or "stinger"

:gunsmilie: There are two types of supersonics ones that run just above the speed of sound and hypo velocity (CCI Stinnger, remington yellow jackets,vipers) They use a little bullet usually 33g and a velocity around 1300fps mark. I had a bruno farmar 22lr and it would group remington yellow jackets ,inch at 100 yards, Best rabbit ever shot was 130 yards with these rounds, how needs HMR :headshot::

reading aother thread i realised that i have never used supersonic ammo in my .22LR !! in fact i have never even shot .22 supersonic at all!

I heard that it wont group well, blah blah.

does any run supersonic ammo? if so what do they zero at etc?

cheers boys and girls.

Stingers are slightly longer than standard LR ammo so bear in mind they can damage the chamber depending on what rifle you use (ie. some custom carbon sleeved barrells) - They can also mis feed in circular mag's. I've got a few CCI Stingers but have to say the accuracy lives up to their reputation of most HV ammo being 'inconsistent'. Another thing to bear in mind is that a lot of HV stuff is copper washed which can be a real ball-ache as it welds itself to the bore and moderator baffles and is very difficult to remove. :victory:

reading aother thread i realised that i have never used supersonic ammo in my .22LR !! in fact i have never even shot .22 supersonic at all!

I heard that it wont group well, blah blah.

does any run supersonic ammo? if so what do they zero at etc?

cheers boys and girls.

Ok my reccomend for HV .22 rimfire is either Winchester Lazer or Velocitor, both are premium grade make a very sharp 'crack' when fired, they shoot very well in my rifle (SAKO Finnfire Varmint), If I zero with Subs at 60 yards the HV are bang on a 100 yards. The only issue is the noise, it doesn't by my experience bother the Rabbits at all, but the locals will know you are around, so if near houses/gardens etc during daylight when folk are gardening / barbequeing etc and you are shooting a lot you may invite unwelcome attention, even though you are safe and careful! As for power and range in truth there is no significant increase between Subs and HV. Also I have found the hyper velocity brands like Stinger and Remy Yellow Jacket are really cack for accuracy, a 2" group of 5 at 75 yards is the best I could get, mostly more like 3"+. But the Lazer and Velocitor are right up there at 3/4" consistantely.

Anyway the only way to find out is try some, just but a 50 box of as many different brands the shop has and try them somewhere with no near neighbours.

All the best AndyF.

im getting mreo confused as thr link goes on! haha

so supersnics are good....but not if your trying to shoot them to far? and not out of a short barrel? :(

so 100 to 120 yards in my CZ 452 should be fine? :icon_eek:

Find the best sub and the best HV for your rifle and you will find you will still get tighter groups at 100 yards with the subs...but you obviously get more energy with the HV.

The Vast majority of .22lr barrels are 1-16 twist, which seems to suit the subs better than HV!

Just the way it is!!

I tried many HV in my .22lr over the yaers but gave up with them all long back and only use it with subs now.

Best HV I found in it were Remingtin Yellow Jacket HP and then CCI Velocitors...the Stingers were not good for grouping!!

But every barrel is different!! Even in the .22lr :thumbs:

can i just say you will all prob think im raving mad but i shot a rabbit at 250 yards with a cci stinger they run at 1640 ft per sec through my bruno 22 inch barrel and it was a nut shot so it was either a fluke or im good lol and got it all on video gonna see if i can get it on here thanks for listening

Edited by tilburyboy
  • 1 month later...

Hello from New Zealand,

Re.Stingers Yellow Jackets Xpeditors etc.I am sorry to say they are ok at very short

range only.In 30 years of testing and rimfire experience I've never achieved acceptable accuracy at even 25 yards with the stuff.Acceptable being to me 8mm or less,(total not centre to centre).The reason people are attracted to the stuff is higher Muzzle velocity-greater range (or energy at range).Unfortunately there seems to be a built in contradiction.To achieve higher M.V. a lighter proj. is used but as range increases past 75 yards

velocity (and thus energy) drops off very quickly.This is due to the lighter proj having lower balistic co-efficent.A bit like throwing a golf ball and a ping pong ball.Golf ball may start out slower but weight retains energy,velocity.The High Speed Hollow of 37-40 grains actually arrives at 100yds with greater energy and in my exp.far superior accurcy.Anyway a hit in the wrong place with a hot shot is no substitute for proper placement with the old stuff.Im on the other side of the globe to you guys but still on the same planet.It appears you can get CCI over there so think would be good starting point to consider.We can obtain same here and have had excellent results with.Czch. Sellior and Bellot was A1 too when obtainable.I,m sure Eley must have something good to try but havent seen any sporting Eley here for 30 years.Love your countryside and pics,enjoying the forum.Best Wishes Toni.

can i just say you will all prob think im raving mad but i shot a rabbit at 250 yards with a cci stinger they run at 1640 ft per sec through my bruno 22 inch barrel and it was a nut shot so it was either a fluke or im good lol and got it all on video gonna see if i can get it on here thanks for listening

Chap, there are very few of us who do not push the boundary on occasions, and a Stinger certainly has the power to stop a rabbit at this distance.

Whether or not you should even be trying is another debate altogether and I'm not going there.

Simple fact is a Stinger would have a job hitting a barn door at that distance, you better do the lottery this week and see if your luck holds.

ATB!!

Helo from N.Z.Again,

Getting the hang on these new fangled P.C.s.Been on Bush Telegraph my whole life.Zeroing 37-40 grain H.V.(1250-1280 F.P.S.)On @ 25 yds,1"high @50yds,drops on at 75yds and - 31/2 " low at 100.For subsonics on @25 yds,on again @ 50 yds -3" at 75 and -7.5" @ 100.I have been favouring subs for 15 years as quiet and does the trick no dramas.No noise to disturb game,so very quiet old fashion approach.Know your rifles limitations and your own and stick within.I dont take long range pot shots at any living thing.Thats what targets are for.Who wants to risk wounding anything?No laws here telling us what cal. to use for what game.Up to your own judgement and ability.Hares with a .22 good sport as they are not stupid.Foxes weren,t introduced thank God or our bird life would be gone.Rabbits easy enough got and no seasons for game here apart from Wildfowl.Most deer species hunted in our National Parks and Forest Parks.Permits free to citizens and visitors alike.Govt. has milk and wool mentality,anything else,Yes including Scots Highland Red Deer classed as (wait for it)pests.Hunters only just getting some recognition for pure Scots Reds Thar Chamois Sika deer Wapiti Whitetail Rusa and Fallow.Govt sees these as part of tourist industry only with no intrinsic value themselves.They would like to exterminate the lot never mind many are endangered or bloodlines lost in original homelands.Those guys need to travel a bit and open their eyes.Anyway we're fighting the good fight over here,wishing you Guys and Gals luck over there.Will post some pics when I get lesson on this Toni.

that will be worth seeing!

Rumor has it competition ammo is subsonic because the transition from supersonic to subsonic affects accuracy.

A lot of the ammo that I used to bring home from the range used to 'crack' even with the moderator.

It's 'supposed' to be 60 fps below the speed of sound.

Now, to open an old wound, would a longer barrel be better for stuff like Stingers?

AND, what about barrel wear using stingers? Is it noticeable or negligible?

No need to worry about barrel wear with any sort of .22rf, the barrel never even gets warm let alone blown away!

Stinger's are a bit 'wild' and sometimes 'crunch' a bit when you chamber them, as the case is longer and the bullet shorter than

standard .22rf. I have tried them, still have a few I think, but I don't rate them.

Of all the types I've fired off over the years, my favourite HV are either Winchester Lazer, or the 'New' Velocitor.

I have found that a spot on zero with Winchester Subsonic at 75 yards, gives a 'spot on' zero at 100 yards with just about any

high velocity shell.

Back to Sub's my recommend is 1 Winchester Subsonic or 2 RWS Subsonic, both very good in my rifle, (Sako Finnfire Varmint).

AndyF

I use Winchester subs in my CZ style carbine. It is zeroed at 55-ish yards, and produces a nice group. If I aim at a target on A4 paper at 100 yds, and make no adjustment, simply aim at the bull, the shots fall about a foot low.

Using a variety of higher power stuff, Lazer seems the best, but the shots are still about 6 inches low. I guess it is a characteristic of the short barrel? Anyway, I probably won't bother with any more high power as there is little advantage.