what rifle if i applied

22LR cheeper to feed but 17HMR will give you the range at 3-5 times the cost per shot. For both of them you will have to learn to judge distance and the corresponding drop, limit yourself to about 70 and 120 yards and you can aim dead on. 22LR can be near silent with a moderator, 17HMR can have its noise reduced but supersonic bullets always make a crack.

Both are adequate for fox at shorter ranges.

To get a licence you need land approved for the calibre, see the pinned articles on firearms licences for more detail.

Good luck

H

Edited by halamrose

what rifle would you suggest please in differant price brackets cheers

CZ. Take your pick of which one but a CZ .22 is the way to go! £500 would cover the price of of the gun, decent scope, bipod, mod, every thing you need.

is a cz .22 capable of killing a fox and what rounds would you suggest sorry for all the questions but rather hear it from guys on here than off the net

As you don't have a shotgun certificate I doubt you will get far with anything but a .22 or 17HMR for a 'first timer'. You will need the land suitable as well. Anyway a .22 is ok for Fox but only close in, no more than 60 to 75 yards. But in truth you should not be setting out foxing with anything less than a .223, best of all a 22.250, but for now you are stuck with a rimfire.

is a cz .22 capable of killing a fox and what rounds would you suggest sorry for all the questions but rather hear it from guys on here than off the net

A high velocity hollowpoint would be a good choice. You will need to experiment to find which is most accurate as every gun is differant and finding what works with your rifle overrides what brand others say is good.

In case your looking at user rifles you should know that CZ used to be called Bruno (named after the place - its not an abbreviation).

You will probably need someone to take you shooting a few times to satify the Police you have the knowlege to be safe.

H

Edited by halamrose

As to whether you'd be allowed on your FAC to shoot foxes really depends on your area FLO. Most don't consider rimfire to be a foxing rifle, some will allow them as "opportunistic fox" but you'd need to check.

For bunnies, you can't beat a CZ 452 .22LR, cheap to feed, super quiet and accurate to 80ish yards, under a lamp you shouldn't have a problem getting within that distance of a bunny.

As to whether you'd be allowed on your FAC to shoot foxes really depends on your area FLO. Most don't consider rimfire to be a foxing rifle, some will allow them as "opportunistic fox" but you'd need to check.

For bunnies, you can't beat a CZ 452 .22LR, cheap to feed, super quiet and accurate to 80ish yards, under a lamp you shouldn't have a problem getting within that distance of a bunny.

totally agree! .22LR is spot on for rabbits and as you say opportunistic fox. I have dropped fox's at 75 yards with my .22lr but wouldn't like to make a habit of it.

the problem with the .17HMR is noise and expense....but mainly anything stonger than a light breeze and your screwed!

if it was me personally i would buy a second hand .22LR and put a trigger kit in it if it didnt already have one.

I bought a CZ 452 .22LR spanking new and i love it.......but if i was to turn back the clock i would buy one second hand and then save the money to go towards a stalking rifle.

ps: i got granted fox for my .22LR on my first ever application for a FAC as well as .308 for deer and fox as well....although it did have a restriction on it.

Any .22lr or HMR is capable of killing a fox but every situation is different so a blanket..what ammo do you use does not really hack it.

So, it's .22lr subs for me these days and if I am expecting them further out I will take another calibre.

Everyones experiences, situations and needs are different, and everyone has a different selection of tools available and has to make the best of what they have!!!

Any .22lr or HMR is capable of killing a fox but every situation is different so a blanket..what ammo do you use does not really hack it.

So, it's .22lr subs for me these days and if I am expecting them further out I will take another calibre.

Everyones experiences, situations and needs are different, and everyone has a different selection of tools available and has to make the best of what they have!!!

That's another very good point in favour of LR, you have the flexibility to use different ammo, subs for when you need to be quiet, Supersonics (Stingers etc) for when you can trade a bit less silence for a bit more punch (up to HMR levels), if only the low speed subs could be more consistent. CB Longs are fine in mine at say 40 yards (possibly filling a FAC Air role) as long as it's a warm day, cold ammo goes all over the place.

That's another very good point in favour of LR, you have the flexibility to use different ammo, subs for when you need to be quiet, Supersonics (Stingers etc) for when you can trade a bit less silence for a bit more punch (up to HMR levels), if only the low speed subs could be more consistent. CB Longs are fine in mine at say 40 yards (possibly filling a FAC Air role) as long as it's a warm day, cold ammo goes all over the place.

i thought supersonic ammo for the .22lr were unstable and didnt group very well?

As said, you may not get fox at all with rimfire. If you get "opportunistic" fox there is a growing tendency to go for .22WMR. Although the MV is less than HMR the heavier bullet - 40gr as against 17gr - has much better killing power down range. Also, using non-fragmenting bullets means that rabbits stay edible even with a body shot

Ric

i thought supersonic ammo for the .22lr were unstable and didnt group very well?

I need to spend some more time on them but found them ok on targets at 80yards - hitting 2 inches high on a scope zeroed with subs at 60yards...I think from memory we found them back on zero at around 95 which would work great for me as I could swap them in without having to re-zero

As you don't have a shotgun certificate I doubt you will get far with anything but a .22 or 17HMR for a 'first timer'. You will need the land suitable as well. Anyway a .22 is ok for Fox but only close in, no more than 60 to 75 yards. But in truth you should not be setting out foxing with anything less than a .223, best of all a 22.250, but for now you are stuck with a rimfire.

I beg to differ - my Tikka 222 with 50 grain soft nose bullets is more than capable of despatching foxes out to 250 yards- 223 indeed :feck:

Les :gunsmilie: