.222 v .223

hi guys been a member for a while now but have just been reading all your comments and taking it all in, now ineed your help im after a second hand .223 but have a limited budget its looking like a cz or similar, but ive noticed that the prices of second hand .222s tends to be a lot less like for like, any ideas why this is im after foxes mainly but crows and other stuff if their there, is it worth getting a.222 put on my FAC so ive got more choice also what the ammo situation availabiliy etc ... thanks for any comments :hmm:

• Like 1

.222 used to be a favourite with some keepers that I know. It has had a good reputation for accuracy in the bench-rest world.

.223 would be a little cheaper to feed.

Ask for a .22 centrefire rifle on your FAC, telling them you would like to choose ONE from various types available.

It all depends on the condition of the weapons you can find.

I am guessing that most .223 rifles might have had more rounds through them than .222 rifles.

• Like 1

i think 222 is making abit of a comback. its never going to sell like a 223 does but alot more people are seeing that there are bargains to be had with 222. there cheap to buy and if you want a cracker for not alot of dosh look for a tikka m595. they can be had cheap.

i just picked one up for my dad fro 325 pound. the actions are better then the t3 tikka alot of people say as there stronger. and more smooth. i no where a one is to for 425 pound and its a bargain at that price. all you got to do is add scope and mod and your away.

• Like 1

Ive just bough a Tikka M595 in 222 and its a real fox killer- I wanted something away from the usual run of the mill calibres like 22.250 & 223

Here she is:

Tika222-hawkeEndurance3-12x50001.jpg

with the mod taped with camo tape as its a little on the bling side PES T12 Scout and Harris Bipod- Hawke Endurance 30 scope 3-12 x 50 with the illuminated red dot where thr cross hairs meet

Tika222-hawkeEndurance3-12x50002.jpg

Lovely to shoot zeroed 1" high @ 100 yards 1" group from a bipod- flat to 200 yards I can't fault this calibre to be honest

Les

Edited by Lez325
  • Like 1

i think 222 is making abit of a comback. its never going to sell like a 223 does but alot more people are seeing that there are bargains to be had with 222. there cheap to buy and if you want a cracker for not alot of dosh look for a tikka m595. they can be had cheap.

i just picked one up for my dad fro 325 pound. the actions are better then the t3 tikka alot of people say as there stronger. and more smooth. i no where a one is to for 425 pound and its a bargain at that price. all you got to do is add scope and mod and your away.

The 595 had issues at one time I recall, but without doubt it is a better rifle on the whole than the T3, but then I rate the Finnfire a better rifle than the Quad as well, and some of those old BRNO ....... perhaps I'm just getting old.

The old chestnut of .222 & .223, if you are into home brews then whatever you want and perhaps a .222 may edge it as there are maybe a few more deals on them than .223, likelyhood it some of the guns may be a bit older as well.

If you use factory ammo then no contest, .223 every time, a much wider selection of ammo, easier to get, and on the whole a tad cheaper!! :thumbs:

Both are very good and accurate and have a multitude of uses!!

• Like 1

hi guys been a member for a while now but have just been reading all your comments and taking it all in, now ineed your help im after a second hand .223 but have a limited budget its looking like a cz or similar, but ive noticed that the prices of second hand .222s tends to be a lot less like for like, any ideas why this is im after foxes mainly but crows and other stuff if their there, is it worth getting a.222 put on my FAC so ive got more choice also what the ammo situation availabiliy etc ... thanks for any comments :hmm:

The .