Got Jazz injected with it when she was a pup, on the advice of some local lurcher lads, she had sarcoptic mange. It didnt work, went to my vets, told her what id done and she nearly wiped the floor with me. Ivomec is licienced for cattle, horses, pigs etc. And will <you>NEVER</you> be licenced for dogs because it kills them. I have a very good relationship with my vet, type of person who says it like it is...a spade is a spade.

Considering you can buy the correct licenced products needed for worms etc so cheaply online now, why take the risk?

MOLL.

AS always the voice of reason its used on large animals how could you possibly get the dosage right theres fantastic products on the market place now no need to risk your dogs with old housewife remedys

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Drontal +, mate. Made for Dogs. Check Google for ~ I think it's ~ 'VetMedic.UK'. I always used them and they're Great! (As is good ol' Drontal +) :good:

I'd point out that I'm surrounded by mates who are Cattle Men. I could get that Ivomec for the asking. F*** risking my Dogs for a few quids saving though! :no:

right then what does everyone that does'nt use ivomec use and where do you get it? links please :)

I always use... http://www.northolm.co.uk/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1683

for my flea, wormers etc...extremely cheap, long out-of-date times, fast delivery on the day of your choice. About half the price you would pay in the vets. A lovely lady who will gladly talk to you on the telephone to give advice etc.

MOLL.

An old pal of mine keep's horse's has done for year's also has dog's, i asked him if why not worm all stock with ivomec, and i was told not to be such a muppet as this stuff will kill dog's on piece, it's not worth the risk for a couple of quid in my eye's, be safe Drontal + your best friend.

I know somebody who nearly killed his dog by giving him a horse wormer, yes, the whole thing.

The really stupid thing is that horse wormers cost between 10 and 25 euros, where he could have bought a proper dog wormer for 2.50 so it's not as if he was doing it to save money.

The mind boggles.

Ivermectin Toxicosis

SIDE EFFECTS

Side effects are not a concern with the extremely low doses used in commercially marketed heartworm preventives. problems may arise when higher doses, such as those used against mites, are employed.

Side effects generally do not occur with any anti-mange doses of ivermectin except in Collies, Shetland sheepdogs, Australian shepherds, and Old English sheepdogs, though some individual animals that are not members of these sensitive breeds may also be prone to side effects. Very low test doses are often recommended to identify these individuals regardless of their breed. Collies with ivermectin sensitivity have been found to have a mutant gene for what is called the "P-glycoprotein." The P-glycoprotein has been studied largely because overexpression of this protein (i.e. having more of it than normal) results poor function of chemotherapy drugs in the treatment of cancer. The P-glycoprotein appears to be involved in keeping drugs out of certain body tissues. Having excess P-glycoprotein keeps chemotherapy drugs from reaching the tumor; having a mutant/non-functional protein fails to keep medications like ivermectin out of the central nervous system. Approximately 35% of Collies appear affected by this condition. There is now a test for P-glycoprotein mutation so that ivermectin sensitive dogs can be identified. This is a DNA test using an oral swab.

Ivermectin toxicosis is more likely in dogs following overzealous treatment with an ivermectin containing product formulated for horses or cattle.

The breeds of dogs most commonly affected are collies and collie-crosses.

Small birds such as parakeets (due to their body weight and difficulty in delivering the appropriate dose) can easily be overdosed with ivermectin following treatment for scaly leg mites.

Ivermectin has a broad spectrum of activity against many internal and external parasites.

Source:

Ivermectin is a macrolide antibiotic produced from a fungus first isolated from a soil sample in Japan - Streptomyces avermitilis .

The avermectins are a class of chemicals that have a novel mode of action against nematode and arthropod parasites.

Ivermectin is a mixture of the 22, 23-dihydro derivative of avermectin B1.

Formulations of Ivermectin :

Ivomec (Merck) - injectable, 10 mg/ml for swine and cattle

Equvalan (Merck) - oral paste, 8.7 mg/ml for horses

Ivomec (Merck) - oral drench, 0.8 mg/ml for sheep

Heartguard (Merck) oral tabs, 68, 136, and 272 micrograms of ivermectin for dog for the prevention of Canine Heartworm disease

Conditions Surrounding Toxicoses:

Dogs are usually intoxicated with ivermectin from the inappropriate, extra-labeled use of cattle, sheep or horse product.

Well-intentioned, yet uninformed, owners may "worm" the dog with a large animal formulation.

Any species may be affected if the dose is large enough to penetrate the Blood-Brain-Barrier

Toxicity:

The following doses of ivermectin are those reported in the literature that cause clinical signs (most commonly ataxia or depression).

Cattle: 4 - 8 mg/kg (20 - 40 times the therapeutic dose)

Horses: 2 mg/kg (10 times the therapeutic dose)

Pigs: 30 mg/kg (100 times the therapeutic dose)

Dogs

Collies: 0.1 - 0.2 mg/kg (15 - 30 times the therapeutic dose)

Beagles: 2.5 - 40 mg/kg (greater than 200 times the therapeutic dose)

Cats: there is a report of a kitten exhibiting toxicosis following administration of 0.3 mg/kg of body weight, subcutaneously. Adult cats seem to be less sensitive.

Chelonians (red-footed and leopard tortoises): 0.1 - 0.4 mg/kg

Leopard frogs: 2.0 mg/kg intramuscular resulted in death while 20 mg/kg cutaneous had no effect

Clinical Signs:

mydriasis

depression

coma

tremors

ataxia

stupor

emesis

drooling

death

Note: Convulsions & seizures are NOT commonly associated with Ivermection toxicosis.

Ivermectin is a GABA agonist, which will increase the effects of inhibitory neural pathways in the CNS leading to depression and stupor.

Mode of Action:

Ivermectin is an agonist for the neurotransmitter gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA).

GABA is a major inhibitory neurotransmitter.

In mammals, GABA-containing neurons and receptors are found in the Central Nervous System; while in arthropods and nematodes GABA is found primarily in the Peripheral Nervous System (neuromuscular junction).

This difference in location of GABA receptor may be the reason for the large margin of safety of ivermectin-containing products in mammals.

The binding of ivermectin to a neuronal membrane increases the release of GABA.

GABA binds to the GABA receptor-chloride channel complex of postsynaptic neuronal membranes causing an influx of chloride ions.

The influx of chloride ions hyperpolarize the neuronal membrane making them less excitatory and decreasing nerve transmission.

The hyperpolarization of neuronal membranes (at the NMJ) mediate a flaccid paralysis in arthropods and nematodes.

Diagnosis:

Clinical Signs

History of exposure to ivermectin-containing products

Chemical analysis for ivermectin (generally not needed)

Methods used:

high-pressure liquid chromatography (HPLC)

enzyme-linked immunoassay (ELISA)

Samples:

liver

body fat

gastrointestinal contents (low GI absorption)

feces

Ivermectin is metabolized only slightly by the liver. The majority of ivermectin is excreted in the feces. In cattle, sheep and horses significant amounts of ivermectin can remain in fecal 'pats' leading to reduced numbers of dung beetles.

Treatment:

There is no safe specific antidote for ivermectin toxicosis

Initially following an oral exposure the focus should be on ivermectin removal:

activated charcoal

saline cathartic

Symptomatic and Supportive care can help the majority of intoxicated animals

treatment could be prolonged (days to weeks)

intravenous fluids

pads

turning affected animals to prevent pressure sores

treat possible bradycardia

Picrotoxin has been proposed as a specific antidote. There are some reports of using picrotoxin to treat ivermectin toxicosis. It is generally titrated to effect. Picrotoxin is a potent GABA antagonist that causes an increase in the excitability of neurons in the CNS which leads to convulsions. Seizures caused by picrotoxin administration may be treated with barbituates. Picrotoxin has a narrow margin of safety and is not the best treatment for ivermectin toxicosis.

Physostigmine - is an uncharged, reversible inhibitor of acetylcholinesterase that can penetrated the Blood-Brain-Barrier.Physostigmine has been shown to have some effect in the comatose animal. This may be due to an increased concentration of acetylcholine in affected neurons. The comatose animal may exhibit a transient increase in metal alertness. This may be beneficial to the veterinarian by: confirming the diagnosis of ivermectin toxicosis, possibly treating the more severe cases and giving the owners hope for their comatose dog.

It is used for killing parasites in cattle, it can be used in dogs only in very small doseage.. not to be used if any dog has a collie bloodline, it will kill them. If your dog has fleas or fox mange, use haedlice treatment which you can get from any chemist.

On the side of my Ivomec bottle it tells you the recommended dosage.

Cattle 1ml per 110lb body weight.

Swine 1ml per 75lb body weight.

I know a lot of lurcher and terrier lads that use Ivomec and also a few

Greyhound lads that use it.I also know a few people who use it on there chickens,

just a couple of drops on there skin and its fine.

On the side of my Ivomec bottle it tells you the recommended dosage.

Cattle 1ml per 110lb body weight.

Swine 1ml per 75lb body weight.

I know a lot of lurcher and terrier lads that use Ivomec and also a few

Greyhound lads that use it.I also know a few people who use it on there chickens,

just a couple of drops on there skin and its fine.

My gamefowl get 1/2ml twice a year on the back of their neck but a fella I know used to inject his fowl with 2ml each

right then what does everyone that does'nt use ivomec use and where do you get it? links please :)

I always use... http://www.northolm.co.uk/

http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1683

for my flea, wormers etc...extremely cheap, long out-of-date times, fast delivery on the day of your choice. About half the price you would pay in the vets. A lovely lady who will gladly talk to you on the telephone to give advice etc.

MOLL.

that exactly what i was gonna say molly, cheap,fast,reliable, and very friendly ;)

Im sure someone will correct me if im wrong but ivometin was once the main ingredient of a sheep dip.Shepherds/farmers used to put the collie in last and submerge it with the crook.The dog injested large amounts of the stuff and some died as a result .This is where the tale comes from .If shepherds used poodles instead of collies the same result would have happened .Ivomectin is only safe if you know what you are doing or are shown by someone who does .Better products available to those who only dabble in dog health .

hav'nt read this whole thread so if i'm repeating something already written,i appologise.

i have used ivomectin many times on terriers & bull terriers 0.1ml per 10lb body weight

i.e 50lb dog would get 0.5ml 20lb dog 0.2 etc.never had any adverse reactions,great on worms & skin parasites,tho dose not touch tapes.it is toxic to collies so maybe not for some lucher crosses.