advise for a young lurcher thats missing rabbits??

I was after some advice or thoughs on my young dog..

shes a whippet x saluki about 17 months now and is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I started her off on a few ferreted rabbits when she was about 12 month and she took to catching them in open fields very quickly. since then she has got on well taking a couple of bolters that slipped nets, had a couple in the day and has begun to work on the lamp.

It took her a while to grasp running down the beam but shes got it down the a tee now. the problem comes with her finnishing the course.. she runs them well, puts them under pressure, drives them away from cover but much more often than not they manage to get away at the last minuet! its getting a bit frustraiting.

One of the problems is the number of rabbits round my way - she only probably get 4 or 5 good runs after rabbits a week - one or two a night. possibly shes getting a bit over excited?

the problem seems to be she over shoots them, or hasnt quite got the coordination of feet and mouth quite sorted yet. is this a commom problem with young dogs? shes stopped growing and starting to muscle up well - could this affect her coordination?

Do you think that one day things will just click?

It does seem to be more of a problem on the more open courses - maybe cause of the speed she hits over open ground and forgets to slow down!

Im a bit lost to be fair....? shes come on so well in the last 6 months but the take is an important bit really...

Also - what would you suggest is a good success rate for a lurcher - slips per rabbit?

Any help or comments would be useful.

Cheers

Ol

• Like 1

sounds like you doing everything right, taking time, starting her off on easy bunnys e,t,c she might just be a bit over excited and over running the bunnys, give her time she will come, after them few bunnys she does catch, she will come on massivly and it will seem you have lost your pup, i find these times some of the best of owning a working dog,

atb, :thumbs:

Out with a pup last night 13 months and the wee dog caught 4 rabbits but could have got more just that it was driving 2 hard at them but it just takes time and a dog will slow up before the strike my bitch now only puts the boot down when she needs and just jockeys them out from the fence but she is 4 as l said your dog still only a big pup next year yea see a diff dog all the best :thumbs:

If it is coordination whoever it may not be all I can think is to try getting her to sit and stay then walk about 7 meetres away and throw a ball or somethind many a little food bit and get her to catch or throw them a little away so she has to run a little and find it on the floor that all i can think apart from that kust persivere and I wish you well

shes a whippet x saluki about 17 months now and is coming on in leaps and bounds.

I started her off on a few ferreted rabbits when she was about 12 month and she took to catching them in open fields very quickly. since then she has got on well taking a couple of bolters that slipped nets, had a couple in the day and has begun to work on the lamp.

It took her a while to grasp running down the beam but shes got it down the a tee now. the problem comes with her finnishing the course.. she runs them well, puts them under pressure, drives them away from cover but much more often than not they manage to get away at the last minuet! its getting a bit frustraiting.

One of the problems is the number of rabbits round my way - she only probably get 4 or 5 good runs after rabbits a week - one or two a night. possibly shes getting a bit over excited?

the problem seems to be she over shoots them, or hasnt quite got the coordination of feet and mouth quite sorted yet. is this a commom problem with young dogs? shes stopped growing and starting to muscle up well - could this affect her coordination?

It does seem to be more of a problem on the more open courses - maybe cause of the speed she hits over open ground and forgets to slow down!

Im a bit lost to be fair....? shes come on so well in the last 6 months but the take is an important bit really...

Also - what would you suggest is a good success rate for a lurcher - slips per rabbit?

Cheers

Ol

Hi mate you have done the hard part.Forget numbers at 17 month they dont matter.The dog is still learning and most likely just about there.It can all turn in a few nigths.If the penny drops the dog should come good soon.You just have to wait a little longer.atb. Catcher

Cheers

Ol

had d same problem at the start of d season with my pup she was just 2 eager 2 get them quick and was over shooting them alot i just kept at it with her and it cliked.now she is still of d blocks like a rocket but when shes on them she waits for d [bANNED TEXT] time instead of trying 2 pick them first time.keep at it with her and she will learn.hope this helps atb

glad someone else is havin the same problem as me (not in a bad way). i have the exact same problem my 17 month old bitch does the same thing and im in the same predicement with the number of rabbits. all i got told was to persevere and she should pick it up soon.

:icon_redface: I am finding the same with my young dog - thanks for the advice on here - really helpful.

I don't know if I am going out too early - keep trying different times between dusk and midnight - not good at going after midnight tho too scared of getting caught I think!

Probably just need to get out more but always seems to be something to stop us: cuts, ice, snow, full moons and never any wind it seems in my area!

Thanks to that snow I know where the bunnies are now but seem to bump into more foxes than rabbits :wallbash:

Hey ho we'll keep trying and like you hopefully will click soon - good luck :thumbs:

seems like youve put the the time in with your dog and

looks like your nearly there mate, wouldnt bother too much

it will "click"thumbs.gif

alot of young dogs over shoot and loose ground its a learnig curve.

and also rabbits are always harder localy unless you live in the obvious places

but its the best way for a dog to learn in my eyes.

lofti.

I reckon there will be a few envious glances at your post from guys with dogs of a similiar age on here with far greater problems than you have. You don't even have a problem. Everyting you can do to teach and guide the dog you have done admirabily. Somethings you cant teach and picking up quarry is one of them. Its down to the dog to learn this its self and the only way is through experiance. Don't worry, it'll click, might take it a week, month or even a full season but it will click.

Cheers

Ol

do you walk right on top of squatters before you slip?Ive seen a lot of young dogs miss when thats the case,I put it down to the fact the rabbit will reach its top speed as your dog is still accellerating which cause it to over shoot sort of like stoppin distances in a car if you know what I mean?I start my dogs in a walled field with 1 gate & slip my dog about 25yrd from the squatter so the dog is moving as the bunny jumps & not starting off from a dead stop the wall does the rest giving the dog chance after chance(unless it finds the gate!).sounds like you've done everything right pretty soon the dog will learn to anticipate the turn & your freezer will overflow. ATB