QUIETEST CALIBRE?

i thought you had to apply for the calibre you wanted to get your ticket, as you`ve already got it doesant it state it on your ticket

They are the same .224 caliber, just different cartridges.

Greg

i know this i just thought you had to state the exact calibre/cartridge you wanted thumbs.gif

no mate you can just put .22cf if you like that way you get a better choice in the gun shopthumbs.gif

It depends on how strict your particular force is on these things. Some say one thing, others say another.

J.

I thought that was the case in Gloucestershire too. Then I asked for a .300 Win Mag and got my FAC back with .300 rifle on it. I phoned them to question it and they said that they'd done it in case I found another .300 magnum that would be better?

A very thoughtful way of doing things seeing as I didn't even ask for it. Top marks for Glos police :clapper:

This is the way it should be, as far as I can recall the forms say "calibre" not "chambering". Even then, it's pretty much pointless. I mean, who cares if you buy a .22-250 or a .223? You're not any more likely to accidentally kill someone with one or the other and land suitable for one is unlikely not to be suitable for t'other.

Actually, your example is okay as far as it goes but the calibre of a .300 Mag (all of them) is actually .308. So, surely, you aren't authorised to buy any of the .300 mags?

It' all rubbish, quite honestly. I mean, the nominal diameter of a .303 bullet is somewhere around .311. The phrase ".303" is merely a name, not a statement of fact.

The far better way of doing it is saying "a rifle up-to .xxx " or, "a rifle between the calibres .xxx" and .xxx " I target shoot so a requirement of getting an FAC is that I am in a club which has access to ranges. This being the case then there seems to be no logical reason why my FAC should not simply allow me to acquire any firearm falling within the specifications of the safety certificate for the ranges my club has access to. I mean, what difference does it make if I'm shooting a .22rf or a .600 Nitro Express as long as I have a suitable range on which to use it?

J.

When i applied for a C/F a few years ago i just put 22 C/F on the variation and they rang me a couple of days later to ask whether i wanted 222 / 223 / 22.250 as i was supposed to state caliber.. by then i had decided so went for the 223 :thumbs: :thumbs:

Forgot to add thats Cleveland police...!!

Edited by Hawkeye 1

as long as your land will pass for the maximum cal then i cant see no reason why they wont put on there 22cf or 6mm centrefire.

you would think that if a bit of land was past for 223 you could shoot any 22 cf there. as most forces will pass land for all 22 centrefire or all 6mm centrefire.

but its not allways the case i see a post not long back where a guy said his firearms officer said his land is past for anything up to 223. which i find abit silly. why not all 22 centrefires ?

he asked for 22/250 and the flo said its to powerful for the land ! how silly is that if there is back stops for it to be pasted upto 223 why not 22/250 ?

on the main thread tho i had was after a foxing rifle when 1st started and 223 was what i wanted. then i read about 22/250 and asked others. never look back now glad i got it.

my old man just got a 222 and this will have its fair share of foxes this year to.

i thought you had to apply for the calibre you wanted to get your ticket, as you`ve already got it doesant it state it on your ticket

Greg

i know this i just thought you had to state the exact calibre/cartridge you wanted thumbs.gif

no mate you can just put .22cf if you like that way you get a better choice in the gun shopthumbs.gif

Greg

Greg

I thought that was the case in Gloucestershire too. Then I asked for a .300 Win Mag and got my FAC back with .300 rifle on it. I phoned them to question it and they said that they'd done it in case I found another .300 magnum that would be better?

A very thoughtful way of doing things seeing as I didn't even ask for it. Top marks for Glos police :clapper:

This is the way it should be, as far as I can recall the forms say "calibre" not "chambering". Even then, it's pretty much pointless. I mean, who cares if you buy a .22-250 or a .223? You're not any more likely to accidentally kill someone with one or the other and land suitable for one is unlikely not to be suitable for t'other.

Actually, your example is okay as far as it goes but the calibre of a .300 Mag (all of them) is actually .308. So, surely, you aren't authorised to buy any of the .300 mags?

It' all rubbish, quite honestly. I mean, the nominal diameter of a .303 bullet is somewhere around .311. The phrase ".303" is merely a name, not a statement of fact.

The far better way of doing it is saying "a rifle up-to .xxx " or, "a rifle between the calibres .xxx" and .xxx " I target shoot so a requirement of getting an FAC is that I am in a club which has access to ranges. This being the case then there seems to be no logical reason why my FAC should not simply allow me to acquire any firearm falling within the specifications of the safety certificate for the ranges my club has access to. I mean, what difference does it make if I'm shooting a .22rf or a .600 Nitro Express as long as I have a suitable range on which to use it?

J.

Jon - I agree that there is a lot of unnecessary mystification about calibre/caliber. Even so, the situation is more complicated than you suggest. The dictionary definition of "calibre" is "the internal diameter of a gun barrel" (OED 1998). The first problem here is that American manufacturers have traditionally measured caliber(!) across the grooves of the barrel. British and European practice has always been to measure the diameter across the lands. There is a growing tendency, which I welcome, to define calibre as the external diameter of the bullet. So we now accept that all .220 centrefire rounds are fired through a barrel .220" across the lands, but are .224" in external diameter. Calibres such as 6mm, .243, .241, .244, .240 are all the same CALIBRE. The chambering, and hence the power of the round, may vary greatly, but they are all the same calibre. The .308 is the old NATO 7.62x51, yet 7.62mm = 0.30", the diameter across the lands. The British .303" is the diameter across the lands, equal to 7.7mm. The diameter of the bullet is .311". Bullets used with Nitro powders are greater in diameter than the nominal calibre of the barrel to ensure that the bullet deforms to fit tightly into the rifling, ensuring that the bullet is correctly spun in the barrel to maintain ballistic stability. Just to complicate the issue still further, the conversion from metric to imperial measure is rarely accurate.

Now just to stir things a little, I can readily envisage a situation where a shot with a .22 Hornet would be safe, but the same shot with a .204" would be decidedly risky. Consider flat trajectories vs loopy ones . . .

Ric