QUIETEST CALIBRE?

HI ALL.

IVE JUST RECEIVED MY TICKET FOR A .22 CENTREFIRE RIFLE AND FIND MYSELF TORN BETWEEN 223 AND 22 250.

GIVEN ALL THE USUAL PRO'S AND CONS ASSOCIATED WITH THESE CALIBRES I THINK IT;S ALL GOING TO COME DOWN TO THE QUIETEST CALIBRE. MOST OF MY LAND IS ADJACENT TO VILLAGES AND DURING THE DAY THIS SHOULDNT BE A PROBLEM. AT NIGHT THOUGH I THINK IT MIGHT BE.

IS THE 22 250 SIGNIFICANTLY LOUDER THAN THE 223 EVEN WITH A TOP OF THE RANGE MODDY?

IF THE GENERAL CONCENSUS IS THAT THERE'S LITTLE BETWEEN THEM THEN I'VE GOT MY EYE ON A REMINGTON 700 VLS 1N 22 250.

CHEERS.

There wont be a awful lots of difference if both calibres have a good mod on. At least you won't notice the difference unless your measuring the sound with insturments... and not by ear.

It also depends on the lay of the land, surrounded by hills etc..... as it will make any calibre seem louder....

other things to consider are performance and cost...

barrel life will be much greater in the .223, but better performance will be achieved velocity wise with the 22-250...

Just a matter of what you want most other than noise issues.... both are capable of accuracy at range....

but the 22-250 will get there a little quicker....lol

Snap.

i thought you had to apply for the calibre you wanted to get your ticket, as you`ve already got it doesant it state it on your ticket

I APPLIED FOR .22 CENTREFIRE ON MY APPLICATION FOR VARIATION. THE FAO CAME OUT AND VETTED THE LAND AND PASSED IT OFF FOR 243. NOT REALLY BOTHERED ABOUT 243 AND SO NOW HAVE THE OPTION OF ANY .22CF.

i thought you had to apply for the calibre you wanted to get your ticket, as you`ve already got it doesant it state it on your ticket

It varies according to police authority as to what they will do - this is why there should be a single national licensing body not 40 odd.

They actually have very wide discretion as to how to word your FAC. Unltimately, it's all down to your good reason.

J.

They are the same .224 caliber, just different cartridges.

Greg

i know this i just thought you had to state the exact calibre/cartridge you wanted :thumbs:

Greg

i know this i just thought you had to state the exact calibre/cartridge you wanted thumbs.gif

no mate you can just put .22cf if you like that way you get a better choice in the gun shopthumbs.gif

Greg

i know this i just thought you had to state the exact calibre/cartridge you wanted thumbs.gif

no mate you can just put .22cf if you like that way you get a better choice in the gun shopthumbs.gif

thats good to know, as it maybe something i will look at in the future, cheers :thumbs:

If both calibres are firing a bullet of the same weight, which is obviously the case most of the time, then the volume of the sound will depend upon the velocity of the bullet. Assume that the muzzle blast is absorbed by a good moderator, which is generally true, then the percieved sound is the sonic boom generated by the transit of the bullet. A bullet carrying more energy,ie travelling faster, must generate a louder sonic boom. On the other hand, the difference in perceived level is so small that it ain't worth worrying about.

Ric

It varies according to police authority as to what they will do - this is why there should be a single national licensing body not 40 odd.

J.

This is how it is - in my area it has to be exact calibre, stating just (for example) .22 c/f is not good enough.

Greg

It depends on how strict your particular force is on these things. Some say one thing, others say another.

J.

I thought that was the case in Gloucestershire too. Then I asked for a .300 Win Mag and got my FAC back with .300 rifle on it. I phoned them to question it and they said that they'd done it in case I found another .300 magnum that would be better?

A very thoughtful way of doing things seeing as I didn't even ask for it. Top marks for Glos police :clapper: