Close breeding

106 members have voted

1. 1. Son - to - Mum ???

Talking about this the other night, with a mate of mine.... wether or not to have one more litter from my

Bull X bitch {she`s already had three litters } "My reason for NOT"

And also we were dicussing wether or not to put a Pup from one of her previous litters over her.

As both are decent workers and do what Lurchers of their breeding should do.....

Now Breeding close is a subject i`ve not got much knowledge of, and wondered what you all think about it....

The Dam is 1st cross Bull/Grey and the possible sire is 1/2 Whippet 1/4 Grey 1/4 Bull....

Just your vote would be ok, or if you have somthing to say "Keep it civil please"

Yis Mars...

Bit of a silly idea if you ask me,, and people should know better by now,, yes people line breed,, but that is direct INBREEDING and it could turn out nasty,,,,Why dont you wait for one of her bitch pups to prove herself, then have that put too,, then keep use a dog off that litter that throws the wright way to cover youre bitch !,, direct son to mother is asking for trouble,, and i carnt see why you would even think about that as a option... yes breed close and keep the wright ones back but that is far too close for comfort thumbdown.gif .

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alcapone

Id go for it,son on mother is fine. The only form of inbreeding im against is brother sister,nuttall does this and produces the pathetic mouses he does with pop eyes. Line breeding and inbreeding will bring all the faults in your dogs to the surface like bad mouths,bad feet,stamina,speed and usually reduce size after generations,but in my opinion i see no reason not to do it and would prefer to use a related dog and you have more chance of produceing type of the parents. Your a long way off getting any problems yet. Of course this is just MY opinion.....everyone has one as you will see kid! Your pups out of this mating should produce better again as your locking in traits you want in your dogs,if for example your line lacks stamina then make sure your out cross dogs line is known for stamina to correct your faults. good luck with it.

Edited by alcapone

ive voted yes but as other people have said both dogs would have to be exeptional in every way as you are going to be incraseing the percentage of the dams genes in the pups so you are going to be bringing them to the fore good and bad.

and as for getting pups dieing and haveing problems this only happens over generations

if you feel both dog and bitch are sound. then i see no reason why not mate. ive bred brother to sister and sire to daughter. with only good results. although i never went any further down the road. :thumbs: your dogs your choice. good luck whatever you use

Talking about this the other night, with a mate of mine.... wether or not to have one more litter from my

And also we were dicussing wether or not to put a Pup from one of her previous litters over her.

As both are decent workers and do what Lurchers of their breeding should do.....

Now Breeding close is a subject i`ve not got much knowledge of, and wondered what you all think about it....

The Dam is 1st cross Bull/Grey and the possible sire is 1/2 Whippet 1/4 Grey 1/4 Bull....

Just your vote would be ok, or if you have somthing to say "Keep it civil please"

Yis Mars...

Bit of a silly idea if you ask me,, and people should know better by now,, yes people line breed,, but that is direct INBREEDING and it could turn out nasty,,,,Why dont you wait for one of her bitch pups to prove herself, then have that put too,, then keep use a dog off that litter that throws the wright way to cover youre bitch !,, direct son to mother is asking for trouble,, and i carnt see why you would even think about that as a option... yes breed close and keep the wright ones back but that is far too close for comfort thumbdown.gif .

totally agree with this fella,what yer thinking about is way to close for my liking,cheers

that what plummer did and that why there shit dogs about think about it the KC do it and look what happing now to the show dogs that they are breeding

Are you referring to the lurchers or terriers? Have you seen either work?

On that note,have any of the objectors had any experience of in/line breeding at all?

If your dogs have the qualities you want its the most likely way you will keep them.

Best listen to those who've done it. :thumbs:

Edited by stormyboy

got a 9 month old total accident pup bred that way now. my old bitch was a class act on the coursing feild her son a young unproven dog got to her by mistake and i lost her at christmas so it worked out well that iv got a copy of her. shes only been out a few times but she marks true, works with ferret and lamp and all her litter mates are shaping up well too.

yes shes not as big as the old bitch she was 25 and my pups 22/23 but its worked well cause coursing is to hot round here now for coursing and shes perfect size for rabbits.

This strain im confident can run all day or all night long.

Talking about this the other night, with a mate of mine.... whether or not to have one more litter from my

And also we were discussing whether or not to put a Pup from one of her previous litters over her.

Just your vote would be ok, or if you have something to say "Keep it civil please"

Yis Mars...

If you too the time to actually read my post i`ve already stated that i will Notbe breeding from my bitch, and that we were Discussingit, and i thought it would be an interesting topic for discussion/debate

to add to the debate, i don't think it would be a bad thing to do, as long as both the dogs in question were worth breeding from, and as in the Theoretical case above their would be three {3} different breeds in the mix, and as long as it`s only done once, i can see no harm....

I have in the past bred sire to daughter, in terriers and in that mix their were at least four different breeds of terrier in that mix, those pups turned out ok,....

Whats with the big words ?,, you got a itchy finger tongue2.gif . Find a decent outcross i would say direct inbreeding is silly,, i carnt beleave how many people are say go for it,, mad,, i know it does happen but i dont think its something to incourage or even talk about in the open forum,,, theres enough bullets for the antis to fire as it is big_boss.gif .