Close breeding

106 members have voted

1. 1. Son - to - Mum ???

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is normally daughter to father but cant see what problems it would cause. i look at it this way - forget for a sec theyre related, would you be willing to use the dog on your bitch? if so then go ahead.

a friend did this but with saluki grey /bull grey to her son and she had a litter of 5 and after 4 weeks and there were some stomach problems and 4 died at 4 weeks then the other 1 died at 6 weeks but dont no what from. but he said he only done that breeding because it worked for him before with 2 different mother and son and that litter is still kicking at 2yr old.so up to you mate .atb shaun :thumbs:

Isn't this refered to as Line breeding? Lots of breeders do it to keep specific traits. Though I would of thought it only useful if the mother is exceptional or has something specific your looking for in a dog? as in reality your trying to make the pups 3/4 Dam genes and only 1/4 from the Whippet Grandsire.

Theirs a fair number of Bullcrosses out there doing the job well and some might well have something extra you'd like in your pups. Get out with some others if you can and see if they've got something the Son hasn't, if not then get on and do it.

Don't forget though, both positive AND negative traits from her will be increased and reduced from the grandsire in the pups.

All the best

Edited by bullmastiff

this is called line breeding, most pedigree breeders do this to keep colour and type but they do often breed duffers

i have said no in the vote, as i personally think its too close,

but can see the reason for breeding 2 good working dogs,and would suggest using another good working dog that have similar breeding to your bitch, but good luck in whatever you choose

Edited by surrey lass

"line breeding " is a commonly used method with the dog fighting fraternity ..they believe it makes a dog a lot more fiery !!but beware of birth defects, abnormalities, etc etc ... whatever way you choose to go all the best mate hope everything works out for you..cheers mate..all the best ..chris..

"line breeding " is a commonly used method with the dog fighting fraternity ..they believe it makes a dog a lot more fiery !!but beware of birth defects, abnormalities, etc etc ... whatever way you choose to go all the best mate hope everything works out for you..cheers mate..all the best ..chris..

i dont think thats right because plenty of lurcher men with dogs that have no bull influence inbreed