.223 FOR ROE

Hi all, do you think there will be any change in legislation,(in the near future ) to allow shooting of Roe, Munty ect with .223 and bring us inline with Scotland. My ticket is coming up for renewal and thinking of adding this calibre, be a bonus if it can be used on deer.

Cheers

LD

Hi all, do you think there will be any change in legislation,(in the near future ) to allow shooting of Roe, Munty ect with .223 and bring us inline with Scotland. My ticket is coming up for renewal and thinking of adding this calibre, be a bonus if it can be used on deer.

Cheers

LD

Current laws in england allow use of .223 for munty and CWD, with a 50grains bullet.

Ug

Cheers

LD

Current laws in england allow use of .223 for munty and CWD, with a 50grains bullet.

Ug

Any .220 cf, as you say min 50gr expanding bullet, 1000ft.lbs. so .223 perfectly ok PROVIDED your FAC is conditioned for deer

Ric

I asked this question in the deer section a few days ago- general consensus is no. you can shoot as others have said CWD and Muntjac with a .22 cf, bullet weight must be at least 50gn and making 1000 ft/lbs, i reckon the Remington core lokt ultra bonded or nosler partition would be good choices, in 62 and 60gn respectively but no, i think there was discussion a few years back on whether .223 should be allowed for roe and again the decision was no

DB

Hi:

Why even think about being on the 'edge' of legality with a .223, just apply for a .243, with 100gr bullets it is deer legal, but it's also a recognised Fox calibre.

Down here (in Devon) our Firearms people are very pro, so if you have the land/permissions NO PROBLEM.

If I were you I would apply for a 22.250 and a .243 you don't have to buy both or either, but you have 5 years to close the deal.

Andy F.

Hi:

Why even think about being on the 'edge' of legality with a .223, just apply for a .243, with 100gr bullets it is deer legal, but it's also a recognised Fox calibre.

Down here (in Devon) our Firearms people are very pro, so if you have the land/permissions NO PROBLEM.

If I were you I would apply for a 22.250 and a .243 you don't have to buy both or either, but you have 5 years to close the deal.

Andy F.

Good point Andy, 243cal had also been in mind and i have also posted a thread in DEER SECTION, asking about other legal aspects of starting out on deer stalking ect.

tbh i already have a .22K hornet that is excellent on fox so as you say .243 may be best option.As stated in other replies .223 will certainly kill a Roe, but who knows when it will be legal in E&W

Thanks all

LD

After Roe was taken out of the 1991 Deer Act amendment at the last minute, back in 2007 in England and Wales for the .22 Centrefires, I don't see it being changed any time soon.

I have no wish to debate the right or wrong of this, MY .223 is conditioned for Roe in Scotland, and suffice to say I have dropped several large Roe at over 200 yards with one shot!!!

After Roe was taken out of the 1991 Deer Act amendment at the last minute, back in 2007 in England and Wales for the .22 Centrefires, I don't see it being changed any time soon.

I have no wish to debate the right or wrong of this, MY .223 is conditioned for Roe in Scotland, and suffice to say I have dropped several large Roe at over 200 yards with one shot!!!

Its crazy though why can it be legal to shoot roe in scotland with a .223 but not in England etc....? Its either suitible or it isnt which obviously it is, bloody ridiculas if you ask me :wallbash:

Its crazy though why can it be legal to shoot roe in scotland with a .223 but not in England etc....? Its either suitible or it isnt which obviously it is, bloody ridiculas if you ask me :wallbash:

Hi Seeker,

Your spot on, there is no difference between Scottish Roe and English Roe, I personally use a .22-250, and never have had a problem, drops them on the spot, engine room or neck shots, it drops them on the spot, the .222 and .223 is similar, the .22-250 will take them a bit further out, if looks right I will take the shot, and I've never had a problem. :thumbs:

Bob.

If it wasn't for the old school British deer society brigadiers we would be using .22 cf on roe now but the mere thought of some whipper snapper shooting their beloved roe with a rifle that is loaded from the breach got their mustaches twitching so much that they had a good old moan at the government and this is the legislation we are left with will we ever get .22 cf to use on roe? not in my lifetime our yours

Wha? Several with one shot? Wha'da fuk were you using? 14.5 mm Dragunov?

Sorry . . . couldn't resist it.

Ric

Cheers

LD

simple mate move up to Scotland we like you welsh guys

Cheers

LD

simple mate move up to Scotland we like you welsh guys

Thanks for the offer mate, ill think about that one :victory::clapper: