disco brakes mk1 probs any ideas

the other day on the way home i hasd to brake quite hard twice after this the pedal went to the floor with little resistence am tempted to think master cylinder or pipe split due to the snow here not had proper chance to have look underneath , any pointers from the more knowlegdeable :notworthy: ,any help be good thanks rob

the other day on the way home i hasd to brake quite hard twice after this the pedal went to the floor with little resistence am tempted to think master cylinder or pipe split due to the snow here not had proper chance to have look underneath , any pointers from the more knowlegdeable :notworthy: ,any help be good thanks rob

check the master cylinder resivour if the fluid if low youve got a pipe gone.if the fluid is fine the favourite will be the master cylinder...or youve got a caliper sticking the fluid has boiled through heat and that would make the pedal go to the floor.but this is unlikely really....master cylinder id the favourite.....dead easy to change.no brake bleeding if your carful.undo the pipes off the cylinder swap the master.put the brake pipes back on but dont tighten them and GENTLE push the pedal.the air will come out of the pipe union without pushing into the system tighten when you get fluid leaking and no air...

many thanks woz / sean for the replys, we still got lot of snow here so not easy to check pipe split /burst underneath but as soon as i can i will get under there and look properly , when i looked the resevoir was slighlty low but nothing major . another note woz on the hub the oil seals i changed the wheel bearings but found it hard to get the seal back in it says a drift to do it any pointers on that one also as the one i put in is now leaking thanks :notworthy:

many thanks woz / sean for the replys, we still got lot of snow here so not easy to check pipe split /burst underneath but as soon as i can i will get under there and look properly , when i looked the resevoir was slighlty low but nothing major . another note woz on the hub the oil seals i changed the wheel bearings but found it hard to get the seal back in it says a drift to do it any pointers on that one also as the one i put in is now leaking thanks :notworthy:

USE THE OUTER PATH OF THE OLD WHEEL BEARING TO DRIFT THE SEAL INTO THE HUB .The brake problem could be the master cly if not a fluid leak press the brake and have someone look inside the m/cly resevoir to see if their is any disturbance in the fluid if so could be fluid getting past seals the disco has a load valve pressure regulater mounted on the inner wing of engine compertment you may have to block off this valve if you can do it then check pedal if hard then it could be load valve itself.

check the small lines on the front calipers, (or most of the lines) but its these that go regular as they hold the shit of the road like a sponge (its a landy remember :wallbash::wallbash:) mine split like a water balloon under heavy braking, there will also be 2 bleed nipples on the front if ye come to have them bled up, incase ye didnt know

cheers stokie :thumbs: ,update i managed to get under this afternoon and where the pipe crosses the chassis rail on the drivers side next to the back wheel the pipe is split i kept topping up the MS and pumping a few times was by me self so had to keep jump out and looking ,so am shooting saturday so sunday will try get some brake pipe and flaring kit and crack on to do the job . i have heard to bleed them they are as stokie says a landy :wallbash: , this is what makes me lie in the snow on a friday afternoon seeking leeks only to find other jobs need doing too ahh well its a learning curve :censored: but as my wife says on a regular occasion you love that landy more than me , its the not instant response that gets the abuse :whistling: thanks for all the help lads

cheers stokie :thumbs: ,update i managed to get under this afternoon and where the pipe crosses the chassis rail on the drivers side next to the back wheel the pipe is split i kept topping up the MS and pumping a few times was by me self so had to keep jump out and looking ,so am shooting saturday so sunday will try get some brake pipe and flaring kit and crack on to do the job . i have heard to bleed them they are as stokie says a landy :wallbash: , this is what makes me lie in the snow on a friday afternoon seeking leeks only to find other jobs need doing too ahh well its a learning curve :censored: but as my wife says on a regular occasion you love that landy more than me , its the not instant response that gets the abuse :whistling: thanks for all the help lads

pai in the arse, welding nightmare them things, here mine with the rust cut away

DSCF1423.jpg

ended up as an offroader

006-1.jpg

lift fuel tank inspection lid under the boot carpet and check the fuel line on the sender unit too as they are the same for rot, if ye brake line is gone theres a chance that is too.

well today was the day i was going to have another go i stripped out the old pipe managed

to get the females un done no problem, two turns and the pipe just disintegrated so they came away :D so rusted they fell to bits . i rings me mate to see if he will knock me a new pipe and fittings up and true to his word after a cuppa and some chat ten mins later a new one was done . a quick trip to halfords and a gallon of fluid am at it again lying in the snow mud and crap fixing the disco ( off on a tangent , read here am trying to keep the faith but i cant understand why i want to wriggle and shove my way under the jeep in all weathers getting hammer rash, wet, cold , tired, oily achey and skint to persue the never ending jobs someone please tell me :doh: ) sorry slight detour :D ,anyway pipes on just need to bleed the system now no ones in when you want them :no: so i asks the wife to sit in the cold to press the peddale as i skoot around taking off wheels, topping fluid and the like . i have a peddale now ohhh yess . now am off to ebay i am going to order more pipe and replace the lot before it comes back to bite me ans they say "" its a landrover thing you wont understand """ if you know you will know :icon_redface:

post-54-126376418486_thumb.jpg

this is what its like when the goings good thanks again for all your helps lads :notworthy:

post-54-126376439306_thumb.jpg