jagdterrier

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

there are a few jagds in the uk so i'm told but i know of none personally.

a good working terrier all round.

what are you planning on using it for if i may ask?

theres no jagds breeders in the uk ive been trying to put my hands on one for the past 2 years there all out of the country but to be fair i wouldnt say there any better than the black stuff you can get over here i found alot of the ones i found where in belgium and alot of them where only used for time trials but im not trying to put a very good breed down but any good terrier can run up a pipe and smash stuff up but all the best all the same atb chris :thumbs:

There are Jagds in this country you've just got to know where to look.

A little while back i was offered one for free from a guy i know who has bred them. The people who have them are just rather discreet. Just look the other Jagd Terrier threads on this site to see why, soon all the haters that haven't seen one come out of the wood work to say why there not needed.

What i will say is there a dog which does need responsible handling. They will take on any thing no matter it's size with absolutely no thought for themselves.

I can't promise to put you in contact with said man as i did this once before for someone and nothing came of it. But i will mention the Jagds to him and let you know if there is breeding planned for the future.

Alan

A Jagd from the kennel I'm speaking about attacked one of his kennel mates, a very hard and serious personal protection mastiff. The other dog of course put him in his place, at great expense to the owner I might add. However as soon the little dog was recovered ,all bones mended, and introduced to kennel again what did he do. You guessed it, full on at the very same dog. Back to square one along with more vets fees. Needless to say they never got a chance to mix again. I think his school report card would have read "Does not mix well with others"

they are bred in differant lines just as any other terrier. some on the moors use them only on pig and deer and breed them big and with huge torso's( named heide terrier).

i have seen them around 13" tts and some breed them at that per se.

a breeder iknow has about 12 at home all the time( 5 or six in the house at a time) some in the garden and some in the kennels etc, he knows who gets on with who and when they are zoning in.i have never seen them fight each other yet. just to add they all work together on pigs,fox,badger,raccoon and deer no problems at all,nor do they bother with other dogs when working.

i don't think they are much differant to any other "working bred" terrier. prey drive is high and thats what they are bred for. "when they go, they go!!!!"

i don't think they are the brightest dogs in the world( the same is said of the patterdale etc).

great dogs for people who understand what they are bred for(work,work and more work). they are not just an earth dog but lend themselves to anything you are willing to train them for.