missing snares

i have been placing snares on fences that that a well used track but i think foxes are using the same holes because my snares are going missing I'm putting them on good and proper but the odd one or two are going missing still, I'm getting the rabbits with a good neck hold,, am i snaring foxes??? any help out there for me will be great full and a learning curve as I'm only just started snaring,, atb Si :thumbs:

Edited by super_si

i have been placing snares on fences that that a well used track but i think foxes are using the same holes because my snares are going missing I'm putting them on good and proper but the odd one or two are going missing still, I'm getting the rabbits with a good neck hold,, am i snaring foxes??? any help out there for me will be great full and a learning curve as I'm only just started snaring,, atb Si :thumbs:

Are the snares snapped, or missing,if the snares are still there ,do they hold bits of rabbits,?without this imformation i doubt any one canhelp you,acouple of pictures would help.

Are the snares snapped, or missing,if the snares are still there ,do they hold bits of rabbits,?without this imformation i doubt any one canhelp you,acouple of pictures would help.

hi mate,, there not snapped no there gone lol,, im getting the rabbits with a good hold but its just the odd 1 or 2 along the fence line are gone but its looking like there somthing abit bigger than a rabbit thats using the hole,, ill take so pis today if its happend againg and the size of the hole in the fence,, atb

hi mate,, there not snapped no there gone lol,, im getting the rabbits with a good hold but its just the odd 1 or 2 along the fence line are gone but its looking like there somthing abit bigger than a rabbit thats using the hole,, ill take so pis today if its happend againg and the size of the hole in the fence,, atb

If there not snapped, and your sure about your knots, then i think someone may taking them.

If there not snapped, and your sure about your knots, then i think someone may taking them.

iv been out today and there was a rabbit in the 1st snare i checked i thought great stuff cant wait check the other 9,, i went back to were the 1 went miss and when i saw what i saw i was scraching my head the fench had a huge hole in it. so yet again iv got a missing snare and nowere to but it back to i must be a fox or maybe even a badger i dont know,, and as for my knots i just whip over the fence twice then twist back down the snare iv never had a problem before with rabbits pulling then off.

Sounds a lot like a badger is using the hole or fox/badger stealing the rabbits and pulling the wires off the fence. Block the hole with sticks and see if they all get knocked away then you know it's a bigger animal, or check for tracks :thumbs:

and as for my knots i just whip over the fence twice then twist back down the snare

With the sound of it you are not tying your snares on properly,you need to use the half hitch knot,there was a post up in this section about it.

Use that knot and you will not lose a rabbit or snare.

you could be getting hares as well in your snares,thats why you are loosing snares,the way you tie them might hold rabbits,just,but i don't think they will hold a hare. :thumbs:

and as for my knots i just whip over the fence twice then twist back down the snare

With the sound of it you are not tying your snares on properly,you need to use the half hitch knot,there was a post up in this section about it.

you could be getting hares as well in your snares,thats why you are loosing snares,the way you tie them might hold rabbits,just,but i don't think they will hold a hare. :thumbs:

hi

you deffinately need to change your knot to a 3 or 4 half hitch`s, just wrapping it round the fence wire might hold some but only just and rabbits even will pull them free nevermind hares etc.

if a fox is taking them then rabbit fur will be around the area from all the tugging.

try the new knot and see if your bag improves im sure it will.

good luck mate...

matt

how would you recomend i tackle this then,, what method,, im snaring off raised fencing were i can see were there getting under,, im using fence snares. thanks :thumbs:

how would you recomend i tackle this then,, what method,, im snaring off raised fencing were i can see were there getting under,, im using fence snares. thanks :thumbs:

Without a pic mate its hard to say,but from the sound of things snares are the way,if they are coming under the fence you could try bodygrips.But like i say without a pic its hard to help.Can you post a pic of the fence?? :thumbs:

if a fox is taking them then rabbit fur will be around the area from all the tugging.

yes that is true BUT not always the case,the rabbits can sometimes get caught round the waist and will struggle like mad,so there will be fur shed over the area.So this could have happened to this lad and because he was not tying his snares properly the wire as come off and just left a patch of fur and flat grass behind,so he thinks FOX.

In the pic below was a rabbit caught round the waist as you can see there is fur laying about where it as struggled.Pic a bit small,but if you look above the rabbits head and rump you will see the fur.

005-18.jpg