advice on 1st rimfire

I got a cz silhouette 16" with SAK mod for my first rimmy, good for target and lamping out a car, although sometimes i wish i had got a semi-auto for patch of 4-5 rabbits, normaly can only take 2 before the others realise whats going on :p

Edited by AzMaN

I have recently got a .22lr Ruger 10/22 with synthetic stock, bipod, SAK Mod and good scopes. I find that Eley subs are the best round and that as long as the rifle and magazine is kept clean there are no stoppages. It is so quiet when firing thanks to the SAK moderator and the use of sub sonic rounds, expect for the block coming back to collect the next round as it is a semi auto. A really nice piece of kit and well recommended. Abridge Armoury in Abridge, Essex built if for me and did a great job. (Thanks to Phil & John). I use it for very close range fox dispatch and the odd rabbit cull.

Edited by Urban Fox Control London

the guys have been round to ask me a few questions and check the cabinet. they say i should get the fac in 2 weeks...ish. :)

ive put down for 17hmr, .22lr and .223.

ive read a lot of reviews and looked at quite a few rifles and was thinking of getting a cz 452 style and a browning x-bolt.

just asking if any one has used any of the rifles and wether they are any good for a 1st rifle.also what sort of sights i want to be looking at getting for them ect.

cheers Nathan.

my first rimfire was a bruno?semi auto always jammin,exchanged for a annie(second hand)a beltin gun,but mine shot all over creation probably been shot out,exchanged for a new sako finfire brilliant to shoot but out with a keeper rabbit shootin 1 night it was my rifle that had to 10 shot mag(£30 extra)brake and the five shot mag stick every 3 or 4 times while my mate's cz went without missing a beat or very many rabbits.time over,cz it's a costly exercise swaping & changing. :icon_redface: trg

you use a .22 rimfire on foxes ?? :o

Rob

A .22lr sub with a big HP is an EXCELLENT fox stopper in the right circumstances! Lets not start this debate again...PLEASE!!!!

Not all fox shooting is done at 200yards with miles of open fields around you!! :thumbs: .22lr is infinately preferable to a centrefire SOMETIMES!!!

Urban foxes are smaller than their country cousins as well!!

Cheers

The maximum distance I would personally shoot a fox with a .22lr would be 25 yards if not closer, out of a back 1st floor bedroom window into a clients garden using a .22lr rimfire with a accurate forehead direct shot inline with the engine room will immediately dispatch a fox. A strict Risk Assessment would have been carried out. Long distance shooting is out to the question for safety reasons as all my work is carried out in built-up areas. I always notify the local Police Control Room of my activities, though as I am using a moderated rifle, nobody is any of the wiser. This control method is a last resort in the even that the target urban fox(es) are 'trap-shy', usually caused by having been previously trapped by other Pest Control companies and illegally released (The Abandonement Act 1960 & The Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act 1986). Other wise, I use a .22lr S&W pistol to carry out a close-quarter clean and quick dispatch. Dispatched foxes are taken to a local vet for clinical waste incineration disposal as the majority of urban foxes are covered in mange and riddled with internal and external parasites.