advice on 1st rimfire

the guys have been round to ask me a few questions and check the cabinet. they say i should get the fac in 2 weeks...ish. :)

ive put down for 17hmr, .22lr and .223.

ive read a lot of reviews and looked at quite a few rifles and was thinking of getting a cz 452 style and a browning x-bolt.

just asking if any one has used any of the rifles and wether they are any good for a 1st rifle.also what sort of sights i want to be looking at getting for them ect.

cheers Nathan.

the guys have been round to ask me a few questions and check the cabinet. they say i should get the fac in 2 weeks...ish. :)

ive read a lot of reviews and looked at quite a few rifles and was thinking of getting a cz 452 style and a browning x-bolt.

just asking if any one has used any of the rifles and wether they are any good for a 1st rifle.also what sort of sights i want to be looking at getting for them ect.

cheers Nathan.

Comes around time and time again for obvious reasons, and my answer remains pretty similar.

What do you want to do with them, how deep are your pockets, and then it's largely down to personal preference.

There are those that will suggest Anschutz and Sako rimfires may edge the CZ 452, and I'm not going to argue, but the difference for most shooters is inconsequential. ALL my rimfires are CZ, my boys are CZ and many I know have CZ, never heard any complaints yet.

Centrefires offer a lot of choice and a lot of price variations, the X-Bolt is meant to be OK, but most reviews of most guns are OK to good. It is one gun that I have to say I don't know a whole load about!

Glass gets even more complicated, the choice is mind blowing, quite a lot on scopes historically on this site, perhaps worth searching back a bit!!

I'm a bit puzzled here. Do you want advice on your first rimfire, if so do you realise that .223 is centrefire? Why not wait till you get your FAC then ask again? If this is your first FAC you may well not get .223 to start with. It is a fairly powerful CF round and the boys in blue can be a bit leary about granting it. No offence but don't count your chickens till they are hatched.

Ric

im aware the .223 is a centerfire, the inspecting guys who spoke to me said it shouldnt be a drama for me getting .223 on my licence as ive been in the marines for going on 5 years.

im after advice on both the rf and cf as im going to buy both when the fac comes through

cheers :thumbs:

Hi, Iv got a 452 style in .22 with 16" barrel,Hogan sound mod & nikko stirling 4-12x42 lazerking scope

cant fault it.

Tell me more about this mod please, not one I'm familiar with..Cheers!! :thumbs:

I too have a 452 Style carbine with a Hogan moderator. At least that's what my rfd said it was! When I went in with a view to buying a new rifle, I saw this one and it had the mod on it already, purely to make it long enough to sit in the gun rack properly. In Shooting Sports magazine from May 2009, is a test on a air rifle mod called a Hogan Decimeater. It got a good report and the article said a proofed version for .22rf was shortly to be brought out.

This is what mine is apparently, although there is no name, only proof marks on it. I just said I liked the combination and bought the rifle and mod together. I have not used it enough to need to clean it yet, but if you peer in the rear end, tubular baffles and absorption material can be seen. It's about 6 inches long and matt black. Can't tell you any more. Would like to read what rob39 says.

Edit, Oh yes, forgot to say, it's very quiet!!

Hi, Iv got a 452 style in .22 with 16" barrel,Hogan sound mod & nikko stirling 4-12x42 lazerking scope

cant fault it.

Tell me more about this mod please, not one I'm familiar with..Cheers!! :thumbs:

I too have a 452 Style carbine with a Hogan moderator. At least that's what my rfd said it was! When I went in with a view to buying a new rifle, I saw this one and it had the mod on it already, purely to make it long enough to sit in the gun rack properly. In Shooting Sports magazine from May 2009, is a test on a air rifle mod called a Hogan Decimeater. It got a good report and the article said a proofed version for .22rf was shortly to be brought out.

This is what mine is apparently, although there is no name, only proof marks on it. I just said I liked the combination and bought the rifle and mod together. I have not used it enough to need to clean it yet, but if you peer in the rear end, tubular baffles and absorption material can be seen. It's about 6 inches long and matt black. Can't tell you any more. Would like to read what rob39 says.

Edit, Oh yes, forgot to say, it's very quiet!!

Is this like wadding/cotton wool??? Unusual for rimfires??? But if it's appropriately proofed it should be fine!!

I had a HOG Mod ( :hmm: Hog, Hogan :hmm: )a year or two back on the HMR, it had the accoustic wadding and was very quiet for about the first 10 shots, then the pressure started to dislodge it all into the bullet path!! Bye Bye Hog!!! :doh::thumbs:

cheers Nathan.

got a 16" style with hawke night eye scope on it love it never let me down,dont know much about the x bolt heard that it was nice rifle though. :victory: