russell on 3 legs

My 4 year old Jack Russell has recently stopped using his right rear leg preferring to not weight bear on it , I have checked for the usual thorns and cuts etc but not a thing , he will occassionaly walk on it but is on tip toes on that foot , if I take himoutworking he is fine on it and will use it running around etc

Before I enter the world of vets fees does any one have any ideas or suggestions ?

I have already given him some Metacam and tried to keep him quiet

Yeah, just sounds like a normal case of a terrier. If your really concerned, give the foot and leg a good feel around and see if it hurts any where. My patterdale was limping more than usual and he had damaged a growth plate. He is all fine now. get him to put weight onto it. He will soon tell you if it hurts or not.

ATB Mike

More than likely Perhys syndrome recessive inherited disorder (means that both parents have the gene in there genoptype) noted in alot of Jacks, the head of the femur (The ball of the ball and socket) at around 8 months old dissolves due to a lack of vitamin c due to the blood vessels supplying the leg joint shrinking.

This then has a warring effect on the joint as it is loose fit, causes arthritis.

Surgery for bad cases will cost £300 plus.

Happens usually after trauma eg slipped on ice or jumping up from the floor or down to the ground a chair .Things that dont help are over exercised to young bad diet.

Dog should not be ever bred from.

Try glucosamine and controdine, and anti inflammatory drugs to help problem and restrict exercise.

Could also be a slipped/pulled ligament in the knee cap which with rest will come to.

Known in plummer terriers my first plummer bred by brian plummer had this problem and so did his siblings.

More than likely Perhys syndrome recessive inherited disorder (means that both parents have the gene in there genoptype) noted in alot of Jacks, the head of the femur (The ball of the ball and socket) at around 8 months old dissolves due to a lack of vitamin c due to the blood vessels supplying the leg joint shrinking.

This then has a warring effect on the joint as it is loose fit, causes arthritis.

Surgery for bad cases will cost £300 plus.

Happens usually after trauma eg slipped on ice or jumping up from the floor or down to the ground a chair .Things that dont help are over exercised to young bad diet.

Dog should not be ever bred from.

Try glucosamine and controdine, and anti inflammatory drugs to help problem and restrict exercise.

Could also be a slipped/pulled ligament in the knee cap which with rest will come to.

Known in plummer terriers my first plummer bred by brian plummer had this problem and so did his siblings.

Mine holds his rear leg up sometimes, walks and runs normally but occassionaly holds same one up when "trotting".

Never stiff even after long runs behind quad and deffinately not in pain.

Seems like a habbit mines got!?!

When a dog has Perthes it holds the leg up almost constantly, the skipping is just an occasional thing.

Perthes disease usually comes out in them when they're young though, I'm lead to believe around 6-7 months old, so it may not be that if your dog is now 4 years old.

If it is Perthes disease then don't breed off the dog, because its a genetic disease, so there stands a chance his offspring could inherit it.

Best of luck with the dog mate.

My bitch does it occasionally, there is nothing wrong with her legs, i think its just a habbit.

Does she have this disorder? I have never heard of it before.

FTB

When a dog has Perthes it holds the leg up almost constantly, the skipping is just an occasional thing.

Perthes disease usually comes out in them when they're young though, I'm lead to believe around 6-7 months old, so it may not be that if your dog is now 4 years old.

If it is Perthes disease then don't breed off the dog, because its a genetic disease, so there stands a chance his offspring could inherit it.

Nah your dog hasn't got Perthes disease if its only an occasional thing.

Thats probably Luxating patella what yours has got, which causes the skipping. Which I wouldn't worry about.

Hi i think when terriers "skip" for a few steps its due to a mild case or something called Patellar Subluxation can be called a trick knee. Alot of short legged breeds do it.its not serious at all. it happens in people sometimes too

Max