New to ratting

Just wanted to say, its amazing when you start talking to people about ratting, apparently two of the people I work with have problems with rats! and i didnt even know they lived near farms or had live stock. So thats two places i'll be able to go with my dog next year! Good things come to those who wait eh!

:)

try your best to make sure you get the dog steady with any livestock ie chickens, sheep,if the dog is too busy chasing these instead of the rats the farmer wont be too happy also are you using a ferret or a smoker if ferret the dog needs to be broke to them the best time is now when the dog is very young just play with the ferret so the dog can see it is your friend ,it will soon get used to it you can also try putting out a dish of milk for ferret and terrier get them used to being close together just keep a eye on them good luck.

try your best to make sure you get the dog steady with any livestock ie chickens, sheep,if the dog is too busy chasing these instead of the rats the farmer wont be too happy also are you using a ferret or a smoker if ferret the dog needs to be broke to them the best time is now when the dog is very young just play with the ferret so the dog can see it is your friend ,it will soon get used to it you can also try putting out a dish of milk for ferret and terrier get them used to being close together just keep a eye on them good luck.

That sounds like very sensible advice, thanks. Was planning on using a smoker, but mite be an idea to get her used to ferrets anyway just in case.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lady hunter

:) thats a tidy looking dog and bitch, i hope you do well the pup, but make sure that it has plenty of contact with other dogs, or you could end up ratting by yourself, and again like marko said make sure it is broken to all kind of stock, :thumbs-up:

:) Just woundering , if the dam and sire to your pup have they ever done any work, just asking as i couldnt see any marks on any of them :)

Thanks Lady Hunter. Ive really been reading up about the whole ratting process. Lucky for me my boss at work has live stock and I will be taking her there as often as possible to get her used to that side of things. Im hoping that sum1 nice will let me take her with them when they go ratting (Obviously she'll be on a leash and when she's fully innoculated) just so she gets used to lots of other dogs/ ferrets etc before she even gets a chance at ratting. :signthankspin:

Sound advice about getting the pup used to other dogs aswell as livestock. We go on ratting sessions with a large group of dogs, usuallly 6-10 and some of them are aggressive and on the last session my dog was hurt more by aggressive dogs than the rats :angry:

Apparently, they do ratting on a regular basis. God knows what she'll be like but I cant have a terrier and not work her to something, I suppose if i try and she's no good :blink: , at least i'll have tried. Thanks again for your reply.

Edited by jultaylor1972