Ferreting In the Snow

Just had a nice couple of hours on the golf course ferreting under a few ancient sweet chestnut trees. It was easy to spot the well used holes at the tree base, so it was a case of wrap the quickset round and slip the ferrets in. Ended the short session with 6 plump winter bunnies on what was a cold but gloriously sunny winters day....! Judging by old Charlies footprints in the snow........he'd been hunting bunnies too.

post-12022-126132468099_thumb.jpg

post-12022-126132474219_thumb.jpg

post-12022-12613247955_thumb.jpg

post-12022-126132485939_thumb.jpg

post-12022-126132492685_thumb.jpg

post-12022-126132500605_thumb.jpg

post-12022-126132506699_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

rolfe ,was there two sets of fox prints on top of each other going across that field ?, as they don,t look like one lot of prints to me , just an observation as at this time of year they are busy chasing ..atb moley

rolfe ,was there two sets of fox prints on top of each other going across that field ?, as they don,t look like one lot of prints to me , just an observation as at this time of year they are busy chasing ..atb moley

Now at first that is what i thought........but........if you look closely you will see two single prints and then a double.......repeated the entire length of the prints. My take on it was the fox was moving a bit faster than the normal fast trot........but not quite as fast as to be galloping.........somewhere in between. The prints are too uniform to be another fox running the same path...... in my opinion....!

Regards

Rolfe.

hi rolfe, do you get your ferrets laying up under ground under the trees? iv always been a bit iffy with that....

I have had them kill-in occaisonally but....... my workers never seem to lay up........they kill (if the rabbit won't or cant bolt) and move on.

In over 11 years on this course i have never yet had to dig around the trees yet...... so in answer to your question i have never had a problem. Sods law now dictates i will.....:whistling: