over shooting lurcher in training... advice please?

hi, ive moved on with my dog since the last post i put on here.. have 15 month old first cross saluki whippet... have been taking it slow with her, shes had a couple of bolter ferreting, had one or 2 on the lamp and is coming on.. but.. and this is where i need some advice - she overshoots and loses rabbits?! i havent got many on my permissions and when she gets a run she is on them so quickly, get a good chase on and is all over them.. then one overshoot and they are lost. she seems not to have learnt to slow down a little towards the end of the chase. has anyone had any experience of this or what would anyone advise?

also, has anyone had any experience of saluki whippets on anything else, kept her back so far...?

am thinking her seeing an experienced dog might help - any one warwickshire way ? got the land if you got the dog.

cheers

post-43150-126100201273_thumb.jpg

i have the same problem mate but my dog is a bit older but shes coming on abit now try getting her on some hard rabbits or some big bunnies that bend like hell that might put her arse in gear and make her work for them, but shes still young still got plenty of learning to do yet,, atb,,, si

I know what you're saying, too much speed and overshooting is very frustrating. Mine (3/4 grey 1/8 whippet 1/8 Saluki) used to do this, shes better now and all comes with lots of practice. I used to think it was because I raced her a lot but she's doing much better now at just over 2yrs old. Am sure yours will find her pace :thumbs:

Dont even worry about it pal,shes chasing and over shooting that shows shes game enough and got the gears to

get there.over time she will gain the experience she needs to judge the twists and turns and eventualy learn to ease up and pick them off .my old bitch of 5 even now gets excited and goes like a lunatic,but after missing a cpl she soon settles back and gets to work. atb ........steve

cheers for the advice lads.

will stick with it - as you say, its good that she has the gears! shes just got to learn how and when to use them and coordinate her mouth! i dont think it helps that at the moment im a bit short of rabbits so she might only get a couple of runs a night so she gets so excited and goes off at full pelt and 110% enthusiasm!

will update how she gets on.

hi, ive moved on with my dog since the last post i put on here.. have 15 month old first cross saluki whippet... have been taking it slow with her, shes had a couple of bolter ferreting, had one or 2 on the lamp and is coming on.. but.. and this is where i need some advice - she overshoots and loses rabbits?! i havent got many on my permissions and when she gets a run she is on them so quickly, get a good chase on and is all over them.. then one overshoot and they are lost. she seems not to have learnt to slow down a little towards the end of the chase. has anyone had any experience of this or what would anyone advise?

also, has anyone had any experience of saluki whippets on anything else, kept her back so far...?

am thinking her seeing an experienced dog might help - any one warwickshire way ? got the land if you got the dog.

cheers

Dogs just keen and wants them bad, doesnt realise that slowing down the pace will help her connect, in time she will click, depending on the type of dog so will click faster than others, some never really click and just keep to that style of rushing in but them dogs miss alot of stuff and get knocked up, the saluki in her should make her box or course naturally, sounds lke shes running more like a whippet.

Try feeding her a few hours before you go out, bit of tripe or whatever, this may slow her down a bit make her run a bit flat, then hopefully she might connect with a few then the penny may drop, atb.

it seems like your not doing enough with your dog mate... at 15 months old it needs to see a lot more than 4 rabbits...its gonna be like a kid at christmas, coz it only comes once every 365 days...there is a big difference between showing you dog plenty of game and over facing them though so be careful... you really want to be out 2/3 times a week giving it 5/6 runs a time...that way your dog wont get so excited and f**k up as much...hope that helps..cheers.