Custom Rifle

I am looking for a riflesmith to make me a custom hunting rifle in either a 260 or 6.5 x 47 Lapua calibre. I'm looking for a rifle to replace my Steyr .308. I mostly shoot Reds, Fallow and Muntjac from woodland high seats.I want something reasonably lightweight, able to stop a Red in its tracks, without causing too much damage to smaller deer. My budget is about £3000.

Any suggestions as to rifle calibre, but more importantly, a reputable and reliable riflesmith would be appreciated.

oakwood, try giving roger at south yorkshire shooting supplies a call, him and dave should be able to sort you out, or answer any question you have....

they are really helpfull, and i can vouch for the quality of their workmanship having got a semi custom rifle built,

the money you have for the budget should get you something special...

i done alot of searching and liked their approach to work and willingness to answer any queries you might have..

Snap.

Do's your budget include Glass ?

Remington make a small light rifle in .260 called the model 7, little brother to the 700.

The stock is crap and needs replacing a new trigger helps to so here go's.

model 7 new £ 900

stock £ 300-600

jewell trigger £ 250-350

mounts/rings £ 50-100

Swarovski scope £ 500-1500

Moderator/cut £ 300-400

Bipod £ 80

result light rifle that is sub MOA and can be under £ 3000

Edited by coldweld

I am looking for a riflesmith to make me a custom hunting rifle in either a 260 or 6.5 x 47 Lapua calibre. I'm looking for a rifle to replace my Steyr .308. I mostly shoot Reds, Fallow and Muntjac from woodland high seats.I want something reasonably lightweight, able to stop a Red in its tracks, without causing too much damage to smaller deer. My budget is about £3000.

Any suggestions as to rifle calibre, but more importantly, a reputable and reliable riflesmith would be appreciated.

http://www.rhinorifles.co.uk

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Oakwood, have a look at this one.

http://www.precisionrifles.com/

i am aware that callum ferguson is the best riflesmith in the country i know 2 guys with his guns and they are amazing so smooth to operate apparently there is no room for oil on these guns they are made that exact. but would a budget of 3 grand get you one of his masterpieces

Hi Oakwood, have a look at this one.

http://www.precisionrifles.com/

i am aware that callum ferguson is the best riflesmith in the country i know 2 guys with his guns and they are amazing so smooth to operate apparently there is no room for oil on these guns they are made that exact. but would a budget of 3 grand get you one of his masterpieces

Just ask him.

I would go for the 260 chambering if I was you, it can handle a heavier bullet and there is none of the high chamber pressure problems associated with the 6.5x47.

Anyway i have a 260 and it shoots like a dream,

I would also specify a neck on the barrelloose enough so you can just neck down a 308 case and use it as is, no neck turning or any of the other mucking about, It works well in my 260 Weatherby, and makes life a hell of a lot easier.

anyway good luck, for barrels I would recommend pac Nor in the USA they make some fantastic tubes.