Kennel and cold weather

Nik_B

I'm just planning ahead here. If we do go ahead and get a dog, we'll get a kennel for it to stay in (during the day at least). Would you keep it out there at night as well? Alternative is the kitchen which would be locked though so not much room.

During the winter would it be ok or do people bring them in when the temp drops below freezing? I appreicate people put blankets etc in them but doesn't the dog still sit on top of what ever you put down?

Any advice would be appreaciated.

Cheers

I'm just planning ahead here. If we do go ahead and get a dog, we'll get a kennel for it to stay in (during the day at least). Would you keep it out there at night as well? Alternative is the kitchen which would be locked though so not much room.

During the winter would it be ok or do people bring them in when the temp drops below freezing? I appreicate people put blankets etc in them but doesn't the dog still sit on top of what ever you put down?

Any advice would be appreaciated.

Cheers

Dogs have coats for a reason!!!

Mine get no blankets, they sleep on rubber matting and have no probs.

Send them to bed dry, in a draught free kennel and they don't need anything else.

I went to my kennels today, the water was frozen but the 12 week old pup was still bright, alert and lovely and warm!!!

Cheers mate I know it sounded like a daft question. I've mentioned keeping a dog outside to a few people and the react like its cruel. Seems a bit wierd to me.

I'm looking in to kennels at the moment, I've seen a few that look a nice and secure environment.

Cheers mate I know it sounded like a daft question. I've mentioned keeping a dog outside to a few people and the react like its cruel. Seems a bit wierd to me.

I'm looking in to kennels at the moment, I've seen a few that look a nice and secure environment.

Yes, that's the one's that keep the dog in a lovely hot house and wonder why the dogs not to happy to go outside working on a freezing day :icon_eek:

Yes, that's the one's that keep the dog in a lovely hot house and wonder why the dogs not to happy to go outside working on a freezing day :icon_eek:

my 2 cockers are kept in the house well they have the run of it sleep were they want nice and warm to sofa the lot work wise put them against any dog working wise they do what they told and are working all day when they are out its like this you gwet out what you put into them . but my dad had they=m and they were out side all the time like you said warm draft free and they were willing to work hard to so its a 50 50 thing here

i think its just in the dog evan dogs kept outside want work to

Hi Nik_B Like others said. Your dog will adapt to the enviroment provided. Mine stay in insulated boxes with alot of bedding (straw or cedar-strips) They are good well below freezing. zero degrees FAHRENHEIT. Is when I'd bring my wirehair in. If I wanted to bring the Husky in. I'd have to leash her and drag her in. lol.

A small compartment that their body heat can warm up. Is the way to keep them. Bedding helps. As buthcherboy said. If your dog greets you in the morning bright and alert, and rarring to go. he's doing fine.

ATB

I have my wire outside and he is fine even when the temp drops -0. He has plennty of hay in his kennel and is always out and happy early morning. I have a 10 week old lurcher pup but i'm just debating at what age to put him out with my wire?? What do you guys think?? Mart

I have my wire outside and he is fine even when the temp drops -0. He has plennty of hay in his kennel and is always out and happy early morning. I have a 10 week old lurcher pup but i'm just debating at what age to put him out with my wire?? What do you guys think?? Mart

it's best to let them live outside from an early age so they adapt to the outside temperatures,later on they can be brought in a few times,that way you have the choice

knowing that it is used to be outside and accepts it without fuss,my terrier has the run of the garden at night as long as he has shelter and maybe some bedding to lie on

he will be fine.I put this terrier on his own outside at 8 weeks and he is brought in a few hours when it suits me,but i put him out when i go to bed,

Higgins.

it's best to let them live outside from an early age so they adapt to the outside temperatures,later on they can be brought in a few times,that way you have the choice

knowing that it is used to be outside and accepts it without fuss,my terrier has the run of the garden at night as long as he has shelter and maybe some bedding to lie on

he will be fine.I put this terrier on his own outside at 8 weeks and he is brought in a few hours when it suits me,but i put him out when i go to bed,

Higgins.

Good post Higgins,I was thinking about putting my Lurcher pup out with my wire and now he will be going out as from tomorrow. It was summer when my wire first went out so thats why i was not to sure about putting the pup out in the winter. Cheers Mart

Higgins.

Good post Higgins,I was thinking about putting my Lurcher pup out with my wire and now he will be going out as from tomorrow. It was summer when my wire first went out so thats why i was not to sure about putting the pup out in the winter. Cheers Mart

It's best to get them used to it early,the only problem is you may have a sleepless and noisy first night or a few,but you will have to ignore it unless you have neighbours who will be able to hear the pup,just be ready to quiet the pup down and don't do this too often as they may do it too much because they think you'll keep coming out to give it more attention and that's worse,atb,

Higgins.