my bull salukie gryound pup doing well

you should only be half way through training your dog. at that age you should be just putting a rabbit skin on your dummy. if you take your time with your dog and do the training and let it mature you will end up with a good dog. a let ma pup on its first rabbit at 9 months old. in a way a thought to maself it was still a bit early but a done a lot of training with my dog and and dummy work which a thought it matured my dog a bit quicker and a knew it was ready. take a step back mate and let it be a pup, uve got all the time in the world. good things come to them who wait

atb johnbhoy

You've done too much, much too young.

Seriously mate, You will do more harm than good, Your dog will come good next season concentrate on the important things like recall and possibly retrieving.

Try it again at the end of sept on some nice easy green rabbits.

Edited by Daveo

dogs are too young pal.Their bones arent properly developed yet ,let pups be pups .They will have many years of graft ahead of them fingers crossed .You could encounter a lot of problems by starting them at that age ,yapping etc

Why is everyone giving this lad shit? He is happy with his pup because it caught some rabbits. If you think he is running his dog to young then why dont you try and explain why rather than just slate him. I personally dont think the dog is to young aslong as he is getting easy rabbits and not over matching him.

any rabbit should overmatch a 5 half month old pup. purposly going lamping with a pup that age is a bit daft, you are running a dog that is still growing like mad, its bones and joints are not formed properly, if you dont sicken the dog you run risk of damaging it anyway could cut down how long it will work for later on in life, and then probably be passed around when its got trouble with its joints because its no good for running.

I started my pup at 6 month old and he could catch rabbits. Im not talking about gold course rabbits i mean very easy rabbits on rough fields that would say run 10 yards then try and hide in a tuft of grass

far too young you can tell when a dog is ready to have a few runs (easy runs) and i have a saluki bull greyhound nearly 6 month old and he is no where near ready to run rabbits so i wouldnt dream of running him yet he has so much growing and maturing to do yet and im sure any other pup this age is the same,a dog left to grow and mature properly will be a lot better dog later on in life id sooner wait a extra 6 month and get a few extra years

Skitz your reply's are sensible although i don't think this lad is being sensible with such a young pup. If taking a pup of that age lamping then let it watch most runs and give it a good easy sqautter so he has a good chance of catching, only one or two runs on each outing just to build confidence, you don't want to run him too much as it will either break his heart by not catching and he will stop chasing or you will make him frustrated through not catching and he will start to yap on the chase. Go steady with him, there is no rush to get a young dog going, he has his whole working career ahead of him, you wouldn't expect a 2 year old child to do the things a teenager would do so why expect it from a puppy. :)