pups and rats

lol yes mr arsepca i was going to shoot it but ?

My outburst was aimed at starting a 6 month terrier on mice. :censored:

He does have a pretty bitch pup though. :wub:

Edited to say two young kids, a pup, small torch, gun, rat running over their feet!?! :whistling:

Bad combination IMO

Edited by steviemann

well i've just had a plummer dog pup (the one in the middle)out of Oakfield Tyke and Cwm Garw fly! i got him from Stoneyford kennels and i was advised like the rest of the people have stated! that wait till he has his adult teeth to deal with the rat and and not to be dissapionted if they don't take to it straight away. Be patient they all have it in them.

Paulk73 I don’t think the rant was aimed at you It was aimed at the person who suggested starting the dog on mice and shooting them with a 410. Which is laughable and illegal.

People are trying to make out that killing a rat with a dogs is hard thing to do.

when your pup is physically and mentally ready allow it to se a rat, If you are not confident that your pup can kill it allow another dog to assist it your pup will soon get the idea and will kill rats with ease. :thumbs:

Paulk73 I don't think the rant was aimed at you It was aimed at the person who suggested starting the dog on mice and shooting them with a 410. Which is laughable and illegal.

People are trying to make out that killing a rat with a dogs is hard thing to do.

when your pup is physically and mentally ready allow it to se a rat, If you are not confident that your pup can kill it allow another dog to assist it your pup will soon get the idea and will kill rats with ease. :thumbs:

Thank you bedrock, yes you're right.

Terriers don't need training to kill a rat. They just do it.

Paul only you will know when your pup is ready. Once it starts you will not stop it (or smiling)

Why not try him on a mouse to start with. You can buy live traps of a couple of £s in a hardware shop.

My Patterdale/Parson Jack Russel is 4 1/2 Months and kill her first rat last week. She was as keen as mustard. I have never started a terrier so young and I probably won't let her kill another one until she is about 6 months.

I had set mouse live traps in a farmer grain silo and as he was concerned about rats, I set 2 live cages to keep sweet with him. Caught no mice yet but caught a 3/4 grown rat. The pup, who has an exceptional nose and working ability for her age, was going crazy to get at the cage. We took it out into a field to shoot it with the .410 and then let the pups shake it. I wasn't to good with the .410 (dark) my 12 yrs old son stepped on the rats head as it was running, by now the pup was free and she did the rest. I was very impressed but causious as like another poster on here I have seen good dog spoiled because they got a bad bite from a rat. In fact I have seen dogs that will work well on fox and run from a rat due to a bad bit as a young pup.

Try the mouse or a dead rat to get her worked up and know the smell or let her watch another dog as suggested earlier. :thumbs:

LOL, think you been reading too many Plummer books mate. :laugh: