coyote dogs of Docs

Mass G3nocide-A Ridgeback? In what way?

marky r-I expect to catch 100+ a season, some catch half that, some catch twice that. At #54 as of today.

loftmonkey-Just hollar if your ever out West... :thumbs:

artful212-They are very similar.

mattyg-Thanks. They might not suit anyone else, but they suit me fine.

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mass_G3nocide

A Ridgeback is a pure killing machine bred 100's of years ago and there sole purpose was to bay Lion's/Tiger's and course Gazelle.Loyal and powerfull creatures that take a real dog man to control them.

A Ridgeback is a pure killing machine bred 100's of years ago and there sole purpose was to bay Lion's/Tiger's and course Gazelle.Loyal and powerfull creatures that take a real dog man to control them.

Mate I have owned bred and hunted ridgebacks for 30yrs. One must be carefull not to beleive what you read at best ridgebacks are finder bailers of large game . They are a bit slow for fox or hare though they have exerlent endurance and will hunt all day I use mine as finders for my staghounds when hunting on foot. They have a good hot scent nose and will uncover most game laid up for day in their seats.

Stevemac

Mass-You say they are killing machines, BUT then tell me there sole purpose is to bay? Do you hunt Ridgebacks or are you just repeating what you read somewhere? I love the look of a Ridgeback, but Im comforatble with the killing power of our Stags and Bullstags.

Take care.

Guest Mass_G3nocide

I guess our stags are not killin machines Doc. LOL!

I'm not saying your dog's arent But over here dogs like yours are not known to be sold like the usual bull x or ridgeback.Ridgeback's were from what i have read they were used back in the day for baying large game as of nowadays this purpose is not of any use,I have seen a ridgeback rip a fox to pieces just stating there a good animal to have if used properly,Just Voicing my opinion.I have ridgebacks and use them but mainly as a guard dog.

I'm not saying your dog's arent But over here dogs like yours are not known to be sold like the usual bull x or ridgeback.Ridgeback's were from what i have read they were used back in the day for baying large game as of nowadays this purpose is not of any use,I have seen a ridgeback rip a fox to pieces just stating there a good animal to have if used properly,Just Voicing my opinion.I have ridgebacks and use them but mainly as a guard dog.

Nothing wrong with bite power of the ridgeback but on a long chase like these fellas are pulling off with their dogs on their game the stags and bull stags would have it caught and dead before the ridgeback arrived. nothing wrong with the killing power of the american or ozzie stags.

There are only a handfull of hunters around the world still testing their ridgebacks in the field, and even less ridgebacks that can still make any sort of grad. put the books away and put your dogs in the feild, you might get a pleasent surprise.

Where in Illinois do you run coyotes? The early pictures looked like they were much further West.

Never hunted further East than Kansas myself.

T!

Pretty much all over the place, Mr. Tony. I've heard nothin but great things about you and your dogs by the way. I think them crossed on some of these stags would make some outstanding fox dogs. Shoot, they probably make it by themselves.

tlewis-You dont recognize those desert pics? You stood in my yard and had the same view before... ;) (This is Scott from Idaho, those are my dogs and the desert pics taken at my house.) Hope you will stop by for another visit this year, and maybe we can go let the dogs chase something.

Steve Hale-She runs well and has alot of heart, but does not have the power to handle a coyote. She can catch one and helps all she can in the fight. I like the gyp alot but would never breed from her for coyote dogs. She is about perfect for fox and jackrabbits, IMO.

Take care.

[

Pretty much all over the place, Mr. Tony. I've heard nothin but great things about you and your dogs by the way. I think them crossed on some of these stags would make some outstanding fox dogs. Shoot, they probably make it by themselves.

Thanks for the compliments. I'd like to have a go at running coyotes again myself, but we are short of good running grounds in Washington plus the local ranchers actually LIKE coyotes!! They seem to think they kill so many gophers on the hay fields they do more good than harm. We are over run with deer (and Turkies) so the yotes must not be filling up on them.

The other day my neighbor sent me a picture they took on their field. Looked like a wolf to me, but I hope not.

There are supposed to be two active packs in Washington but I think they are up by the Canadian border. The Yakima Indian Nation Res. comes close to us and it's unbroken wilderness pretty much all the way down from Canada.

The point of all my "Waffaling" is, do you ever run into Wolves?

tlewis-You dont recognize those desert pics? You stood in my yard and had the same view before... ;) (This is Scott from Idaho, those are my dogs and the desert pics taken at my house.) Hope you will stop by for another visit this year, and maybe we can go let the dogs chase something.

Take care.

Well of course!!!

I should have recognized your handle. Are you still at the same house? Hawk Road wasn't it?

I missed out on my Fall trip to Wyoming and New Mexico this year. Went to see one of my kids in Switzerland, a country just about devoid of game as far as I could tell, but over run with cars and people!! I did manage to talk to one Swiss equivalent of a "Good Ole Boy" who said there are wild boar and deer, all over the place and they shoot a lot from tree stands. No hound work as far as I could tell.

I have a nice 1/2 Whippet X Stag who is very fast. Great on Jacks, but she has never run into a coyote.

How's the lion hunting? We are getting over run with them. There are sightings on a dailey basis around here.

Can't say I have seen one myself. I think they are going to allow limited hound hunting in this game management area. Most sightings are on road kill. Never seen so many as this year.

Regards.