borzoi lurcher

does any one have or had a borzoi lurcher?..what your experience of them?..are day any good for lamping rabbit,fox ect......ATB

craig

I did have one once, i let it off on a rabbit and i never saw it again lol, nah joking apart i donth think there is too many of them about to be honest, i hear they have good stamina.

Edited by merle24

I'm sure the owner won't mind me showing these pics I took at Duns last year;

A Borzoi x Collie;

duns006-1.jpg

A pure Borzoi;

duns005-1.jpg

In the U.S. they breed the Borzoi down in size using Whippets, and call them "Windhounds";

windhound.jpg

Cheers.

Yes i did hear that they put collie blood into the Borzoi at some stage,, that top pic would also point that was, obvious collie blood in that animal.

opppps didnt see the text above the pic,,icon_redface.gif

Edited by merle24

I used to own a pure borzoi. She was a beautifull looking dog and had plenty of speed and stamina, she had good prey drive but just would not course anything, she would just stand and watch qaurry run away in front of her it drove me insane!! The only time she would chase was if another dog was with her, not really ideal is it. She was purely from show dogs though so maybe a borzoi bred from decent coursing background parents might be better, who knows, but i certainly wouldn't buy a borzoi or a borzoi x with the intentions of working it. As for being bred for hunting wolves well all i can say is she would have failed, she was the biggest wimp on the planet, she wouldn't say boo to a ghost.

I used to own a pure borzoi. She was a beautifull looking dog and had plenty of speed and stamina, she had good prey drive but just would not course anything, she would just stand and watch qaurry run away in front of her it drove me insane!! The only time she would chase was if another dog was with her, not really ideal is it. She was purely from show dogs though so maybe a borzoi bred from decent coursing background parents might be better, who knows, but i certainly wouldn't buy a borzoi or a borzoi x with the intentions of working it. As for being bred for hunting wolves well all i can say is she would have failed, she was the biggest wimp on the planet, she wouldn't say boo to a ghost.

They used to use them in matched pairs for wolves in russia before the revolution. :bye: