.243 rifle

Medium ranges :laugh:

You do know the correct way to show inexperience don't you Logic,lol

If you can hit the fox with the more loopy trajectories then sure the others will work, they have plenty of energy. But in terms of a useful foxing round, for night work and so on, too much adjustment required. 243 with light bullets wins hands down.

In terms of inexperience, I'll admit to red deer, but on foxes and roe, sorry Vim, you're talking rubbish again.

Sorry to jump in Mr L but are saying the .260 is loopy ? On my findings a .260 will shoot a 120gr bullet Flatter than a .243 will shoot a 100gr bullet .

So therefore is it a better fox/deer rifle than the .243 ?

Edited by coldweld

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bert you've made a good decision in the .243 for a dual purpose calibre.....

i've neck shot fallow at over 230 yards dropped no prob's, boiler room at 282 yards, i'm not here to blow smoke up my arse or anything just put a fair point across, that if you can place the round were you point the muzzle, things do tend to fall over.....thumbs.gif

i've taken foxes at over 400, longest being 437 yards so far..... get to know your dopes, practice, and i'm sure you wont swop it....

best of luck....

Snap.

bert you've made a good decision in the .243 for a dual purpose calibre.....

i've neck shot fallow at over 230 yards dropped no prob's, boiler room at 282 yards, i'm not here to blow smoke up my arse or anything just put a fair point across, that if you can place the round were you point the muzzle, things do tend to fall over.....thumbs.gif

i've taken foxes at over 400, longest being 437 yards so far..... get to know your dopes, practice, and i'm sure you wont swop it....

best of luck....

Snap.

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

That says it all really, the .243 is a very versatile calibre that can do a lot in the right hands with the right ammo!!

hi, I have a Browning A Bolt .270, Swarovski 8x56 and find it a good allrounder, homeload 140gr ballistic tips, gives Charlie a bit of a scare LOL, My own thoughts are 100gr can be a tad light for Reds, dont want to put .243 down cos it is a brill rifle and does the job,but been there and in my opinion .270 but as someone said horses for courses.

No, I'm talking with a fox bullet. With deer bullets they are broadly comparable.

Ok . So do you agree the .260 to be a better deer round due to it's larger range of deer bullets, delivering more ftlb than the .243 with a flatter flight ?

He may or may not, and my knowledge of the 260 is not extensive, but when I hit a deer with the .243 (or .223 or .308) it falls over!

Different shooting situations are different, ideally requiring variations of calibre/bullet.

Therefore, one calibre is not necessarily better for any quarry than another, so I suggest saying a .243/260/308/whatever, is better for deer is not that realistic.

There are those that favour even bigger calibres, I struggle to understand why, but if it works for you in your shooting situations then fine! I for one am certainly not going to criticize you!

But....this thread is entitled..... 243 rifle allround, deer and foxing And I reckon that is a fair bet!

:thumbs:

He may or may not, and my knowledge of the 260 is not extensive, but when I hit a deer with the .243 (or .223 or .308) it falls over!

Different shooting situations are different, ideally requiring variations of calibre/bullet.

Therefore, one calibre is not necessarily better for any quarry than another, so I suggest saying a .243/260/308/whatever, is better for deer is not that realistic.

There are those that favour even bigger calibres, I struggle to understand why, but if it works for you in your shooting situations then fine! I for one am certainly not going to criticize you!

But....this thread is entitled..... 243 rifle allround, deer and foxing And I reckon that is a fair bet!

:thumbs:

I'm not trying to be smart arse here, but out of interest (as I lack experience) when would a 243 be "better" than a 260 for deer?

When the shop has .243 ammo and they don't have any .260...

But ultimately, no, the 260 is a better calibre, if you are just after deer. However, in this instance we are talking as an allrounder, and that means 243 wins.

I'd not get the .260 as it's one of those that I don't know much about and don't care to. Not to say it's a bad calibre, but I would stick with what I know and that's .308, for just deer, and .243, for both.

When the shop has .243 ammo and they don't have any .260...

But ultimately, no, the 260 is a better calibre, if you are just after deer. However, in this instance we are talking as an allrounder, and that means 243 wins.

I'd not get the .260 as it's one of those that I don't know much about and don't care to. Not to say it's a bad calibre, but I would stick with what I know and that's .308, for just deer, and .243, for both.

I fully agree with the shop stocking .260 answer . But fail to see why the .243 is a better all rounder ? could you give the reasons you base the answer on.

As for .308 the .260 beats it on every level [ p.s i have both ]

Can you drive a fox bullet at 4,000 fps in a .260? And then in the same rifle drive a deer bullet fast enough to merrily kill any deer in the UK? Thought not. Nuff said.

Can't argue that the .260 looks a very capable calibre. For me, 308 is a joy to load and shoot, I'm quite happy with it. Each to their own! (and .308 does have a bit more energy, not that it really matters)

Can you drive a fox bullet at 4,000 fps in a .260? And then in the same rifle drive a deer bullet fast enough to merrily kill any deer in the UK? Thought not. Nuff said.

Can't argue that the .260 looks a very capable calibre. For me, 308 is a joy to load and shoot, I'm quite happy with it. Each to their own! (and .308 does have a bit more energy, not that it really matters)

What are you using for 4000 fps ? That will then merrily kill a red/sika stag ?

I think i'm going to go for a Howa with the thumbhole stock and stainless varmint barrel (second hand but i know it has fired less than 50 rounds) coupled up with a t8 moderator and new Burris 3-9x50 scope. Anybody got any opinions on that little combo? Atb, Luke.